• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What GPS should I get

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
Anyone using the Garmin Legend H Handheld GPS Navigator? Just a real basic GPS for around $120. Seems like it would do what I want it to.

Just another note: This is the "H" which I believe is the high sensitivity or something like that! Anyways I read some bad stuff about the original Legend.

S

skimike

Dec 21, 2009
bakersfield
I bought the 60 csx today, walmart has the for 284 so I went to sports chalet and had them price match, I ordered a topo map of the west today but ordered the wrong one , I ordered the download thinking it would be faster but the card isnt big enough to hold it, so tomorrow I have to call garmin and have them change the order to have them send the map already on a card
I just got a Garmin model 60cxs or something like that, it's like the one your looking at but has a little chip in it that calculates where your location is even when your inside your house. Anyways the 60 series your looking at is awesome, mine works all day in the cold on a set of batteries. The Garmins have the best Antenna is the business. The only thing is the screen is little small, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
I ordered the Garmin Legend H & marine mount. I will let everyone know what I think of it when I get it.

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS
We ran the Garmin at Grand Lake last week. It worked great but I will try lithium batteries the next time out because the copper tops quit working after about 2 hrs out in the cold !! >>>>.

hymarkin754

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2008
Corvallis, MT
I am a wildland firefighter for the govt. And the 60csx is the best one I've used. Great for navigating out in the woods and Garmin has great mapping software for them. Just got one for personal use. Use good quality batteries and they'll last a few days. The antenna is probably the best in the biz even in dense timber. Or when its stuffed in your pack all day. Great GPS.

S

skimike

Dec 21, 2009
bakersfield
this is good to hear from someone in the know. I ordered the topo 24 k west download for $100 but couldnt get it past 52% so I called garmin and had them ship me the chip instead. it takes 7 to 10 days, dang.
I am a wildland firefighter for the govt. And the 60csx is the best one I've used. Great for navigating out in the woods and Garmin has great mapping software for them. Just got one for personal use. Use good quality batteries and they'll last a few days. The antenna is probably the best in the biz even in dense timber. Or when its stuffed in your pack all day. Great GPS.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
If you want the battery in the 76 or 60s to last a ride shut the compass off. Hold the page button for 3 secs/ It 4x my battery life.

free garmin maps

I'm looking at new GPS units and can't decide what to get? I have been looking at the Rhino 530 but I don't have anyone else I ride with that has a radio on theirs...... Is there any Rhinos as goos as the 530 but with out the radio that are cheaper? Also where has the best prices for them? The cheapest I have found is $384 at Wal-Mart.... Any opinions, info greatly appreciated!
If you go to this link you can download all kinds of different maps for free for all of garmin gps units. You will need to get a bigger sd card though! I have the garmin 60csx I got it at amazon for 246 or so I think. It has e really good antenna, it picks up a signal indoors.

free garmin maps

I'm looking at new GPS units and can't decide what to get? I have been looking at the Rhino 530 but I don't have anyone else I ride with that has a radio on theirs...... Is there any Rhinos as goos as the 530 but with out the radio that are cheaper? Also where has the best prices for them? The cheapest I have found is $384 at Wal-Mart.... Any opinions, info greatly appreciated!
If you go to this link you can download all kinds of different maps for free for all of garmin gps units. You will need to get a bigger sd card though! I have the garmin 60csx I got it at amazon for 246 or so I think. It has e really good antenna, it picks up a signal indoors.
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/all

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
I have a Garmin Rino 120, $250 or so. It has a radio and has all of the GPS and mapping options I can use. It does not have a color screen and only has 8MB of memory to hold maps but that is fine for me in the back country. If I am going into an area I simply down load the quadrangle I'm riding, hiking or sledding in along with any routes I've created or tracks I've saved and I'm ready to go. Still learing how to use all the options though. It very cool how my routes, tracks or topo can be overlayed on google earth. I've made some neat routes I'm itching to try this spring.

Garmin Gps

I use a garmin GPSMAP 60csx. I got the 2Gb card for mine and loaded a bunch of maps from mapsource.
This gps is super user friendly, yet high quality.
I use this in Labrador.
Everything from hunting to weekend trips to the mountains. also, can be used in boat or in car.
Highly recommended.

Premium Features