• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800r Hard to start high idol

C
Nov 26, 2007
Having a issue with sled yesterday. Sled was very hard starting, half the times when I stopped it would take many pulls to start then after a number of pulls it would cough once then fire up. Once running it would run fine but I noticed the rpms when idoling were up around 3000. Changed plugs with no help. I did expect them to be wet from tring to start as I went as far as choking it to try and get it going.but they were dry. The first time It did it I changed the plugs,(no Help) then I pulled the fuses and changed the relay first pull it fired up. So I changed the relay back, started first pull.(hmm) changed the fuses back started fist pull (WTF). Then I decied it must have fixed itself (Ya right) Next time I went to start it would not go I tried the same thing but it still would not help. I don't no where to start. Any ideas?

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
had the same issue on my 07 800 pull either fuse and she starts right up, pop the fuse back in runs just fine. never did track it down, hasn't happened in over a year:confused:
didn't read the last sentence of your post...................remove either or both fuses and see if it starts.

Last edited:
C
Nov 27, 2007
Maybe you should'nt have left your buddy back in Beaumont, He had no problem starting your snowmobile when you could'nt. Let me know what you find.:beer;

C
Nov 26, 2007
Did check the boots today looked good no delamination. Took the thing out again today after checking things out puting some lock deicer and fresh plugs. Started it cold a bunch of times started fine. Ran it up the trail and it ran fine stopped on the side a noticed the rpm was high again (3000 rpm) but after about 10 to 15 seconds it came down shut it off for about a minute and it started right up. Ran it down the mountain and stopped to load idol was staying at about 3000 rpm shut it off and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Could not get it to start. Then I went to pull the plug wire off to check the plugs and I pulled the wire off the boot. Turned into a gong show. Ended up dragging it on the trailer. Sure could have used buddy from Beamount to pull it on the trailer. Any other ideas??:confused:

S
Mar 23, 2008
My sled will idle high for a few seconds after running. I thought it was normal. It will stay at about 2500-3000 for about 10 seconds then drop down or i'll knock it down by switching the choke on for a split second.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Ok i am pretty sure the high idle is not a issue. The only real problem seems to be the hard starting when warm and left for 5 to 10 minutes. Can't seem to sort through this.

S

snowyo

Dec 11, 2007
BC
check compression.Then rediagnose.

Last year mine started acting up erratically hard starting,idle all over the board ....time i got it back home and checked compression i was down to 80psi per cyl when warmmmm..

New pistons @ 2200 miles now have 3000 miles on sled and runs strong and i'm talking abusive miles .....

C
Nov 26, 2007
Problem solved

After further checking we found that there was no spark when we would pull it over. We could get a little if we pulled very fast or right at the end of the rope. After much fooling around we tracked it down to the relay. I have seen the relay fail so the lights would not come on but in this case it failed close so the headlights were drawing the power when I was trying to start. Once started the thing worked fine. Anyhow $6.00 part.

P

portaboy

Feb 18, 2009
high idle

i once had a issue with high idle tryed plugs messing with carbs and it was a little low on compression so rebuild time and found out that the crank seals were the problem it was getting just enough air through to make it run lean and make it idle high thank god i caught it in time didnt really want to buy a crank or cylinders 2200 miles on rebuild

Premium Features