• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gps

P

pullhardr

Nov 26, 2007
Alpine, WY
Any suggestions on a GPS handheld? I am still using a Garmin GPS 12 and ready to upgrade. Easy to use and downloading areas are a must. Not so much worried about Rhino series with talking mode, just a good GPS with available downloads for topo's. Thanks!:beer;:beer;

REV4ARUSH

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Eastern SD
I'm in the same boat as you. After tons of researching, I just bought a Garmin 60csx on ebay. I hope I like it.

M
Dec 9, 2007
montana
gps

not sure about the 60 but the 530 lets you know where your partner(s) are if the get stuck all they need to do is key the mike and their position comes up on your gps screen and tells you direction to get to them

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
I have seen too many rinos go down and also stop working when in the cold. I love lots of the rino quailities but ill not have another. sj

R

robertyoke

Dec 26, 2007
colorado
How is the Garmin 60?? Not the csx, just plain 60. Any good for sledding???

the 60 c (color screen) s (sensors ie internal compass) and x (external memory)

i have the 60cs and the csx and the they are not the same unit with just the external memory the antenna in the x is faster and wont loose the siginal in the trees and clouds like the non x version.
also the internal compass is really nice because when you stop, just holding the unit level will tell you the correct direction as to having to move with the unit so it can orientate itself, that itself is worth stepping up to the 60cs.

i have the colorado 400t also and its really cool, will do everything the 60csx will do and its little better with gloves on because of the big wheel for navigation and it has a cool 3d map for elevation changes which is really cool.....the downside is it takes 5 volt siginal for external power and i dont have it hardwired for the sled, dirtbike, streetbikes or atv and havent wanted to change it all over so i may just sell it since the 60csx is almost as good.

i wouldnt waste my time with the older units like the plain 60 because the antennas are improved so much every year.

P

pullhardr

Nov 26, 2007
Alpine, WY
the 60 c (color screen) s (sensors ie internal compass) and x (external memory)

i have the 60cs and the csx and the they are not the same unit with just the external memory the antenna in the x is faster and wont loose the siginal in the trees and clouds like the non x version.
also the internal compass is really nice because when you stop, just holding the unit level will tell you the correct direction as to having to move with the unit so it can orientate itself, that itself is worth stepping up to the 60cs.

i have the colorado 400t also and its really cool, will do everything the 60csx will do and its little better with gloves on because of the big wheel for navigation and it has a cool 3d map for elevation changes which is really cool.....the downside is it takes 5 volt siginal for external power and i dont have it hardwired for the sled, dirtbike, streetbikes or atv and havent wanted to change it all over so i may just sell it since the 60csx is almost as good.

i wouldnt waste my time with the older units like the plain 60 because the antennas are improved so much every year.

Thanks for the info!!:beer;:beer;

80arrow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2008
Grand Rapids MN
Does anyone have any experience with the Lowrance H2O? I thought that they would show all the forestry roads, which could be handy for us non locals. Is there any truth to this?

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
we all use the 530 also. great features and works great for locating your dumb stuck friends that find the worst places to get stuck

Sep 6, 2009
Have the lowrance H2O and love it, the amount of trails the can be stored in it, is amazing. batteries last about 8 hrs, cold has little effect on it and with the mapping installed in it, every little creek, lake and back road is there.

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
I just looked and the H2O is on sale at Cabelas for $189. But the reviews don't look too good. A lot of problems. :eek:

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I have a Garmin 60CSX and a colorado and the colorado is better ,, I like the 3D view where I can see if the draw Im dropping into has a way out the bottom. the 60CSX is still great but the 3D maping is like digital vs analog on the 60

Last edited:

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I just looked and the H2O is on sale at Cabelas for $189. But the reviews don't look too good. A lot of problems. :eek:

I have the "IHuntC" and love it. Mapping is great and have had no problems with it. Been using it for a year and a half now. You do need to download all your maps for the extra detail but the detail is great. They use a memory card for putting the additional info on. I just have a different memory card set up for each different thing I do like hunting, fishing, snowmobiling so all my trails from each do not overlap and it does not get confusing...

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
I have the "IHuntC" and love it. Mapping is great and have had no problems with it. Been using it for a year and a half now. You do need to download all your maps for the extra detail but the detail is great. They use a memory card for putting the additional info on. I just have a different memory card set up for each different thing I do like hunting, fishing, snowmobiling so all my trails from each do not overlap and it does not get confusing...

Where did you buy it at? Price?

C
Dec 8, 2008
I use the rino 520 hcx and it works great....works much better in cold weather than the old rino 110 and works better than my old garmin etrex....love it.....now if only my buddies would dump their old rinos and upgrade.....also, for the canadians, try and buy the us version as it transmits using higher power....5 watts versus 2....

Premium Features