• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wiring trailer for 120vac and 12vdc, do I need two breakers?

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Going to install a 30amp system, and can't quite figure everything out....when my shore power comes into the breaker box, do I need two 15 amp breakers? One to go to the 12v panel system, and the other to go to 120v accessories like AC and outlets?

Or, just a 30 amp breaker, but then can I feed to hot wires from the panel, one to the 120v, one to the 12v fuse panel?

Thanks in advance.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Going to install a 30amp system, and can't quite figure everything out....when my shore power comes into the breaker box, do I need two 15 amp breakers? One to go to the 12v panel system, and the other to go to 120v accessories like AC and outlets?

Or, just a 30 amp breaker, but then can I feed to hot wires from the panel, one to the 120v, one to the 12v fuse panel?

Thanks in advance.

Ac and dc are completely different. 12v needs battery's and 120 needs shore power. U can use a rv power converter. U run shore power to it and it converts from ac to dc and also charges batters. Plus it has ac fuse panel and a dc fuse panel. I am in the process of installing 1 in my trailer now. Here is what I am using:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PROGRES...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2335fc1653

Nitron135

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2009
You definitely need to break it down into at least two 15 amp breakers. the only thing on an R.V. that would require a larger breaker than 15 amps would be an A.C. unit. With only an outlet or two and 12 volt converter/charger you will not draw 30 amps ever. If you put too large of a breaker for your max amperage draw you risk catching fire if your equipment has something wrong with it. Basically if you have a problem with your wiring or equipment it could heat up and catch fire before it draws enough amps to trip the breaker.

Premium Features