• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

97 Mountain Max 700 Primary Clutch needed? Please help.

351wpwr

Oct 9, 2011
So I let a friend ride my backup 1997 Mountain Max 700, tripple pipes, 151 updated track, runs great. BUT......he rode it with the parking brake on to the point you would have thought it was on fire with all of the burned rubber smell and smoke pouring out of it. Now I went to replace the belt because it is bad and when it accelerated after the burn you almost need to go down hill for it to finally get into powerband then it runs fine but is DEAD SLOW with no power off the line. I pulled the belt and the bottom 3/4 of an inch of the primary clutch is grooved completely flat with a bump (lip) to get over to get the belt to ride up on the sheaves. Unless I am wrong do I need new sheaves or can this be fixed or a new clutch or????

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
yup, you need a new clutch. find a good used clutch from someone on here. if you buy both sheaves from yamaha it will cost you a fortune and yamaha does not sell a complete clutch.

brushfit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2008
Boise,Idaho
So I let a friend ride my backup 1997 Mountain Max 700, tripple pipes, 151 updated track, runs great. BUT......he rode it with the parking brake on to the point you would have thought it was on fire with all of the burned rubber smell and smoke pouring out of it. Now I went to replace the belt because it is bad and when it accelerated after the burn you almost need to go down hill for it to finally get into powerband then it runs fine but is DEAD SLOW with no power off the line. I pulled the belt and the bottom 3/4 of an inch of the primary clutch is grooved completely flat with a bump (lip) to get over to get the belt to ride up on the sheaves. Unless I am wrong do I need new sheaves or can this be fixed or a new clutch or????

I have one if you are near Boise, Id

351wpwr

Oct 9, 2011
I will pay to ship one to me I just need one that is in good shape. I can use all my guts but the sheaves are shot.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
Unless you have all the special fixtures to remove the spider on the yamaha clutch, you need a complete used clutch less weights, spring, and rollers. removing the spider and swapping sheaves is not something you can do without these special tools. Look on the swapmeet here on snowest, ebay, Totally Yamaha, or a snowmobile salvage yard....there are a few of those back east/midwest.

Last edited:
P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
just looked on ebay, there are several on there. search "yamaha primary clutch" Just make sure you buy one from a reputable seller and it does not have any cracks in the sheaves

Last edited:

351wpwr

Oct 9, 2011
None show that they are for a MM700 1997. I do not know a lot about clutches but the yamaha part numbers fro my year are only for 1997-1998-1999 then they change.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
don't quote me for sure but if i remember correctly any clutch off a triple 600 or 700 will work regardless of year.

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Just rebuilt my 2000 primary and it has the 911 bushing in it. Willing to sell it to you if it will work. The Polaris p-85 has to come off the Ultra or the Storm, not sure, get a hold of Hartman inc and he will help you out.

P
Aug 3, 2022
Sydney
Sounds like your friend needs a solid bill :) Personally, it reminds me of the anecdote about the blonde driving a Ferrari in first gear and being very surprised when she found out there was no automatic transmission.

Premium Features