• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bought 800 RMK now what

T

Team Wild

Aug 13, 2008
Belgrade, MT
Ok I just bought this sled in a package deal. Its a 2001 RMK 800 with a 136 track with about 2500 miles. I would like a bigger track on it. What does this thing take? I would guess its a 2.52 pitch and how big of lug can I put under it. I would like to go with a 144 at the smallest or a 156 the largest. Does a Edge skid fit under these things? Anything to watch out for?

Thanks

RMK4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I have a 99 700 that I put a 151 on. The length of track you put on it all depends on a) how much money you want to put in it and b) what kind of riding you plan on doing. Are you going to spend most of the day off trail playing in the trees and climbing? Or are you going to be on the trail a fair amount with some off trail. I put the polaris series 5.1 that came on the edges on mine and everything fit like a glove. That track as far as I know is a 2" lug, which will fit just fine. An edge skid will fit under this sled no problem its a common thing to do to the GEN II's. Essentially what youre going to need is obviously the track in whichever flavor you like, either an edge skid or rail extensions, and a tunnel extension. You're going to need to gear it down some so that the motor can pull the correct R's while spinning the longer track.

Hanging in there
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
somewhere in South East Idaho
it's a 2.52 pitch, you can go with a 2" lug without doing much anything, 144-156 work good and pack an extra engine that year likes cranks, bottom bearings and cases! had one and then found that out! Good Luck!

T

Team Wild

Aug 13, 2008
Belgrade, MT
Can anything be done to the Engine to keep it from ending up as a flower planter? Is it worth it or just run her tell she gives it up.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Best thing to help the crank live is either use a motor plate on top of the 2 stock engine straps or better still use a solid one piece plate instead of the 2 stock straps, check your engine mounts as well. Could check your crank runout but you might not like what you find.

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
the clutches

the biggest thing to do to make it live is to have the side clearance set on your drive clutch and never ever let the drive clutch go with out maintenance ever 500 miles pull the cam arms clean and inspect.
put in cat wear washers as soon as it has room so the cam arm does not wear in to the clutch.
proper clutching is a must too.
I had more than one non ves live over 5000 miles Mod-ed too
make sure the timing is on the low side of the recommended too.
we cut the heads to a better angle on the head and that made them better too.

Can anything be done to the Engine to keep it from ending up as a flower planter? Is it worth it or just run her tell she gives it up.

A

Andreas83

Feb 20, 2008
Norway
I used a edge vertical escape 159" track and skid on my gen2. Still have the sled, has about 5000 on it without any major stuff happening.
I totaly agree that well maintained clutches helps a lot to avoid crank issues. Making a tunnel extension is not any problem.
I used a edge 159" rear bumper to support it. It does not look superfancy, but it works.
picture2489-gammelt-bilde-forlenging-av-gamle-rmken.jpg

picture2490-gammelt-bilde-forlenging-av-gamle-rmken.jpg

picture2491-tjenestgjor-fortsatt-som-backup-scooter.jpg

T

Team Wild

Aug 13, 2008
Belgrade, MT
Thanks for all the help. I will look into getting the clutches balanced and some other stuff. Heres a pic of the new girl with my boys trying it out.

gen2darren.jpg

gen2derek.jpg

T

Team Wild

Aug 13, 2008
Belgrade, MT
What rear suspension does this thing have

What rear suspension does this sled have in it. I know its a 136 but is it an xtra light??

Thanks

Premium Features