• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 Polaris Pro 800 163 Questions

B
Dec 14, 2010
Looking at potentially buying a 2014 Polaris 800 Pro RMK 163” with 1200 miles. Clean title. Owner says clean with no issues. I should be able to get it for under $4k

My main question is what is the general consensus about the 14’ 800 pros? Reliable? Problematic?

And I would like to run a compression test on the sled but I don’t have a tester and neither does the owner. Do I need to buy a specific type of tester that will screw into the spark plugs holes? Or will any automotive compression tester work?

What PSI should I be looking for?

Anything else specific I should be looking for on the sled?

Thanks all

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Looking at potentially buying a 2014 Polaris 800 Pro RMK 163” with 1200 miles. Clean title. Owner says clean with no issues. I should be able to get it for under $4k

My main question is what is the general consensus about the 14’ 800 pros? Reliable? Problematic?

And I would like to run a compression test on the sled but I don’t have a tester and neither does the owner. Do I need to buy a specific type of tester that will screw into the spark plugs holes? Or will any automotive compression tester work?

What PSI should I be looking for?

Anything else specific I should be looking for on the sled?

Thanks all

Great sled, great price.

You should pay a shop to do a leak down test. The compression can test good on bad rings. The leak down will tell you the real condition of the engine.

It is probably going to need a top end soon, the leak down will give you an idea how soon. Look into the Mtn Tek fix kits or even better yet call Indy Dan and get a price on a refresh.

My 14, and a lot of others had issues with the TPS (throttle position sensor) They seem to be tricky to get adjusted right but by now I think most shops can handle the issue pretty easily. The symptom is low or erratic idle speed often not allowing the sled to go into reverse.

B
Dec 14, 2010
Great sled, great price.

You should pay a shop to do a leak down test. The compression can test good on bad rings. The leak down will tell you the real condition of the engine.

It is probably going to need a top end soon, the leak down will give you an idea how soon. Look into the Mtn Tek fix kits or even better yet call Indy Dan and get a price on a refresh.

My 14, and a lot of others had issues with the TPS (throttle position sensor) They seem to be tricky to get adjusted right but by now I think most shops can handle the issue pretty easily. The symptom is low or erratic idle speed often not allowing the sled to go into reverse.

Thanks for the info. I’m also considering another 14’ pro 800 that only has 600 miles. Get it for the mid $4k

How hard is it to adjust the TPS myself? And for a compression test do I just need a standard compression tester or one with septic threads for snowmobiles?

Premium Features