• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 alpha add ons

powwow

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
East Kootenay
Glad to see there are pretty good out of the box. Definitely a can for cheap weight loss. Bumpers seems to be on alot of lists. Is there one that helps with supporting the tunnel? Seen quite a few kinked tunnels this year on mountain cats. Excited to get on a new sled. Axys was getting a bit boring and my Axys reliability tanked this year. Looking for more fun factor.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Glad to see there are pretty good out of the box. Definitely a can for cheap weight loss. Bumpers seems to be on alot of lists. Is there one that helps with supporting the tunnel? Seen quite a few kinked tunnels this year on mountain cats. Excited to get on a new sled. Axys was getting a bit boring and my Axys reliability tanked this year. Looking for more fun factor.

You can run the stock bumper and run these.

https://vanamburgent.com/

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots

- rear bumper!! Forgot that on the list for 18/19. I bent my tunnel, then threw the B&M Fab bumper on that I had procrastinated about putting on.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
- get a tunnel bag off a 2015, low but doubles space of stock bag without getting in way
- add BDX ascender boards. Stock builds snow in SOME conditions and hopping over to full snow filled boards in trees can wreck your flow
- lots of spare steering bushings if you put any kind of miles on
- seal the intake up, do a search, you’ll see. I toasted 2 motors This season from water/snow ingestion
- buy extra y pipe springs and religiously check them. I had my pipe push up into air intake making a 2” hole which was then a 2nd snow/water ingestion point
- don’t waste your cash on a can pipe yada yada. These things rip. Seriously, spend the money on more gas and oil to ride. There’s absolutely nowhere I wouldn’t have gone just because of a can/pipe. True story.
- SLP MoHawks worked great and I’ll be throwing them on my 20 hardcore.

Just get on it and rip!!!

To help with the exhaust springs I lay a bead of hi heat (red) silicone on each spring. This helps damper the vibration and minimizes spring breakage.

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana
- get a tunnel bag off a 2015, low but doubles space of stock bag without getting in way
- add BDX ascender boards. Stock builds snow in SOME conditions and hopping over to full snow filled boards in trees can wreck your flow
- lots of spare steering bushings if you put any kind of miles on
- seal the intake up, do a search, you’ll see. I toasted 2 motors This season from water/snow ingestion
- buy extra y pipe springs and religiously check them. I had my pipe push up into air intake making a 2” hole which was then a 2nd snow/water ingestion point
- don’t waste your cash on a can pipe yada yada. These things rip. Seriously, spend the money on more gas and oil to ride. There’s absolutely nowhere I wouldn’t have gone just because of a can/pipe. True story.
- SLP MoHawks worked great and I’ll be throwing them on my 20 hardcore.

Just get on it and rip!!!

Solid advice. This is my first cat as well. Coming from an Axys. Do you have any advice on properly sealing up the intake or a link to how others suggest how to do so? I feel like that should be sticky on the forum.

Thanks

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I removed the hood and the airbox attached to the throttle bodies. Brake cleaned the rubber booty thingy, inside and out. Applied rtv exhaust silicone inside the rubber and on the edge of the airbox. Installed rubber booty. Let dry 24hrs. Removed excess. Put Wd40 on the rubber when assembling. Take your time, fit it in nicely and don't get rammy.
Follow these steps and you will experience airbox orgasm. Wipe off the excess orgasm.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
What are everyone's thoughts on a chain case guard? I know the bottom a sled can take a real beating when in the trees. Have you past cat owners found them to be worth it?

I was looking at something like this

https://shop.theracinstation.com/Racin-Station-Chaincase-and-Brake-Protectors-detail.htm?productId=-8196783&browse=-245165&catalogid=-1970&shopby=-26390

Having a guard can't hurt. There were a few people saying that having the guard will cause more damage if you hit something really hard but I don't agree with that at all. I will be adding them to my sled this year. If nothing else, they add some bling to your sled if you get them custom coated.

Last edited:

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
What are everyone's thoughts on a chain case guard? I know the bottom a sled can take a real beating when in the trees. Have you past cat owners found them to be worth it?

I was looking at something like this

https://shop.theracinstation.com/Racin-Station-Chaincase-and-Brake-Protectors-detail.htm?productId=-8196783&browse=-245165&catalogid=-1970&shopby=-26390

Wouldn't carbon fiber or plastic be better than aluminum? Snow won't stick as much and it would slide over stuff easier.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
I had the cat skid plate on mine still poked a hole in the chaincase, ended up with a tki belt drive problem solved.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I think I could get some square tube aluminum and mock that TKI setup....hmmmm. better than nothing? I was holding out for "the pickle" billet guard but 3 seasons in without damage I've all but forgot about skids...
If I had an alpha coming I would have gripper skis ready, a 5.5" riser to replace the stock 4.5, and a Diamond S ti can on order. oh and that cat windscreen bag. and probably an LED taillight.:). and I think id go ahead and just put the skinz short flap on the back again too... thats it. I think...

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
2020 Alpha Hardcore

TKI belt drive
Speed Shop Inc. mountain kit
Elevate kit
Tunnel bag
Handlebar bag
Intake sealing

Possibly grippers