• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 M8000 overall ratings

S
Apr 20, 2018
Michigan
2017 M8000 overall ratings 154 2.6
Im upgrading from M1000 so it should be light years ahead in technology
but what should I expect,
what should I upgrade moving forward.

Thanks

Tyman212

Premium Member
Sep 1, 2012
Biggest thing is skis. I’m running slp mohawks. A cheaper option is Polaris gripper skis. Sounds like the grippers are a little better. If your doing mountain riding and lots of sidehills. I’m a huge advocate for lower bars, and the c3 post forward. Made my sled way easier to ride. Just lower bars helps abit. I’m 6’2. Run the bars 34” from the running boards. Is the most comfortable for me in the hills. Not very comfortable on the trail or flatland. But I didn’t buy a mountain sled to be good at that. Ditch the stupid snow flap. Install a teather and use it religiously. Bypass the throttle safety switch or it will give you grief. Play with your shock pressures abit to find the spot you like it set up as.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
Overall great sleds, not really many issues. IF you can...I will point you in the direction of a 2018, there was a significant amount of changes that make it a worthy upgrade. But sometimes it does come down to price point. for the 17 i would look into a lightweight muffler, new handlebar set up, handlebar switch relocation, better skis(as said in the post above) & bumper upgrades. other than that just ride the doors off it it will be a big change for the better from the M1

Tyman212

Premium Member
Sep 1, 2012
Yeah front bumper is super important as the nose is your air box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grandpaj

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Menan, Idaho

The 2017 Mountain cat had many of the upgrades the 2018 had, except for the engine and plastics, both were great upgrades. But that suzuki engine is still a beast that last longer than just about anything.
17 MC had narrow boards, 3 in track, dropped drive shaft, great front bumper stock from the factory. Pretty darned good shocks, better than the sno pro.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, Ak
I picked up a hold-over 17 for my wife in December. The following is a list of what I've done to it.

Mohawk skis
Replaced suitcase muffler with lightweight can
OFT Tether
Added Frogskinz to plug up some of the holes on the hood and side panels to prevent snow from entering the hood.
TKI Brake Reservoir Guard

After that, It's good to go!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The 2017 Mountain cat had many of the upgrades the 2018 had, except for the engine and plastics, both were great upgrades. But that suzuki engine is still a beast that last longer than just about anything.
17 MC had narrow boards, 3 in track, dropped drive shaft, great front bumper stock from the factory. Pretty darned good shocks, better than the sno pro.

I think the OP is looking at a non-mountain cat model so will be more similar to the 2016s.

Anyway the first thing I'd do is change the skis. the ones on the 2016s and 2017s are darty and unpredictable. Cheapest route is buy the ski bottoms for a 2019 and swap them over with all the existing hardware ($70 each). Would need to get the new mounting bolts and axles that go through the spindles (or cut your axles down to fit). Tons of mods you can do after that depending on preference and budget. Closing off the holes in the exhaust side panel and gaps in the plastic to keep snow out is a good thing to do.

Start with that and learn the sled's characteristics. Coming from the M-series you'll want to ride with your feet a lot further forward on the running boards.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I have a 17 MC 153, love the sled. I rode my buddies 16 LTD 162 quite a bit before leaving Polaris for the MC. Most of the 17 line up is the same as the 16's except for some color changes. The 17 MC, if you can find one has a bunch of upgrades listed above. I find mine to be MUCH more playful than the 162 LTD.

My buddy picked up a 165 Alpha this season, another huge leap forward...

I would want the drop chain case and 3" power claw track on any Proclimb sled. The 16+ front end and I haven't had any trouble with my stock ski's but everybody raves about changing them. Otherwise I ride mine stock with just a lightweight can. Great sleds.

Premium Features