• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2002 rmk 800 bottom end hesitation and bog please help!!

P
Feb 24, 2014
AB
Hey guys so I just bought a new sled and took it to the mountains on Saturday had no bottom end. once I hit 7 or 8 rpms skis would come off the ground climb like crazy !! it also idled at 4grand most of the time can someone please help !

it has twin cpi pipes ,3 vforce reeds, boost bottle, slp intake air horn kit, some kind of air insert into the top of the carb into the airbox which has its own little filter. What would that be for ?

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
The airbox "filter" might be a vari-flow? Any pics? If it's idling to high try turning down the idle adjustment screw on the carbs to start with. There are just so many things that could cause what you are describing it's hard to give you an answer. Have a look at your carbs and see where the fuel screws are at and what jets are in it. If you can give people an idea of what your setup is, elevation, etc. you'll have more help I think.

P
Feb 24, 2014
AB
So the guy I bought it from didn't know anything about the sled he had traded it for a truck in 09 and has hardly ridden it. He rode at 3000 feet and it has 420 mains with 03 needles . I figured out that it has a holtzman atacc on It which explains the tube coming out of carb. I took it to the foothills which is 4000 feet + and would always idle high every time I let off the throttle, it would still rev at 4500 5000 and if I let it sit for a while it would come back down to 1700.. almost burnt a brand new belt off .. my fuel screw is at 1 3/4 from seat and my air is at 1 .Am I running to lean ?

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
I don't like the Holzman vari flows, but that's just my opinion. rdr99 can help you out, he's a pretty smart guy.

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
Then you are a little lean on the bottom end. Try opening up the fuel screw half a turn. Also make sure there is a little slack in the throttle cable and check the throttle stop, you never know what someone else has done. I usually set mine so the idle will hang a little high at home, but when at elevation it will be fine. Sometimes just a little blip on the half-choke and it will idle fine. Any idea what the pilot and idle jets are?

Last edited:

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
The vari-flows stop working properly after a couple of years. I would dump the pipes and vari-flow. Either go back to a stock pipe or find an SLP single pipe. Then start over tuning it.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
the hanging idle is prob just a half turn away from cured, as stated. that said, most sleds ive seen with twin pipes and v-force reeds always idled high, not sure why, never had v-force myself.
i had a vari-flow once and liked it, but it looked different. i would click it down leaner as i climbed. if you remove it, you will need to play with the jetting.

Last edited:
P
Feb 24, 2014
AB
Then you are a little lean on the bottom end. Try opening up the fuel screw half a turn. Also make sure there is a little slack in the throttle cable and check the throttle stop, you never know what someone else has done. I usually set mine so the idle will hang a little high at home, but when at elevation it will be fine. Sometimes just a little blip on the half-choke and it will idle fine. Any idea what the pilot and idle jets are?

The pilots are 45s ..... also what main should I be running at 3000.. scared to melt it .. I have a set of 430s as my biggest.. I put an order in for bigger jets but hasn't come in yet.. :face-icon-small-coo

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
For all around riding the single works great, not so finicky on jetting too. I mostly ran twins, tried SLPs, PSI and now run Split Second. Try going to 55s' on the pilot jets.

P
Feb 24, 2014
AB
My pilots are clean and my carbs are synced...... what would that do with bigger pilot ? so I got some hose clamps and put them on boost bottle mount for tighter fit , the manifolds looked almost new no cracks and no I'm not taking the twins off cause when I open it up I can walk all over my buddies 05 900 slp piped..

Premium Features