For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Fouled Plug Stuff not directly related to snowmobiles. ATVs, trucks, hunting, sports, boating etc. Please keep it clean.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 04:51 PM
Currently: Snowdancing
aebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone out there make a drastic career change?

I just got done posting on a "first job" thread and it got me thinking. I have been pondering kind of starting over for the last year or so, and was wondering if any snowesters have done it. I have a decent career now, but I wouldn't say it is very satisfying. As I have gotten older a lot of my priorities have changed and it would be nice to stay closer to home and do something that makes me feel good at the end of the day. I am far from naive, and realize that I need to make money too, but I would take a pay cut if my job was a little more "life enriching". So...anybody make the jump?

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 09-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Currently: WestPac...deployment lite
RMK7SledHead has a reputation beyond reputeRMK7SledHead has a reputation beyond reputeRMK7SledHead has a reputation beyond reputeRMK7SledHead has a reputation beyond reputeRMK7SledHead has a reputation beyond reputeRMK7SledHead has a reputation beyond reputeRMK7SledHead has a reputation beyond reputeRMK7SledHead has a reputation beyond reputeRMK7SledHead has a reputation beyond reputeRMK7SledHead has a reputation beyond reputeRMK7SledHead has a reputation beyond repute

I made a pretty drastic career change: Went from being a civilian sitting behind a desk 8-9 hrs/day designing/building an airplane (4 years doing this), to being in the USMC flying jets for a living.

I was comfortable at my old job, but didn't make good money ($45k as an engineer is not good money) and had $100k in student loan debt (not to mention CC debt on top of it). I had a roommate who was a go-getter and was always bettering himself and making things happen in his life...he told me about his "rocking chair" test; when you're 80 sitting in your rocking chair and you look back on your life, what will you regret NOT doing? So, I looked into it and found out I was a pretty good fit for the Marines and made my move.

That was August of 2008. August of 2011 I flew a $28million tactical jet solo for the first time. I always felt pretty accomplished in my old job and like I contributed a lot...it was NOTHING compared to what I do now. The sense of accomplishment is 100 fold.

All told, my move was for the better. Awesome job, the pay is much better (when including all the benefits, etc), they're paying down a large chunk of my student loan, my wife and I are 100% cc debt free, and oh ya, I met my wife because of the change!

Drawbacks: I study/work 10 times harder then I ever did in HS or college, I have life stress unlike any I've ever felt before, I haven't snowmobiled or hunted in 3 years, and I live 1300 miles from my wife, for the foreseeable future...

and all that is washed away when the engine lights-off on startup...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RMK7SledHead For This Useful Post:
94fordguy (09-19-2011), aebsledder (09-19-2011), AKSNOWRIDER (09-19-2011), Arctic Thunder (09-20-2011), christopher (09-19-2011), MORSNO (09-19-2011), xpspenziv (09-22-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Currently: Snowdancing
aebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond repute

You and your roommate sound a lot like my little brother. He was a sniper in the Marine Corps, went to Iraq, got back and got his college degree in Construction Engineering Technology. He graduated near the top of his class. He spent about 2 years in civilian life and decided he needed "more" out of his life. Long story short he is now a Pararescue Jumper in the Air Force. I couldn't be prouder as a brother. I would probably be lying if I said I didn't compare my life to his. He loves where he is at now, but boy did he have to make some huge sacrifices to get there. Thank you for your input...and your service.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Currently: It's almost time to ride!
Space Lord BB
rockdog2112 has a reputation beyond reputerockdog2112 has a reputation beyond reputerockdog2112 has a reputation beyond reputerockdog2112 has a reputation beyond reputerockdog2112 has a reputation beyond reputerockdog2112 has a reputation beyond reputerockdog2112 has a reputation beyond reputerockdog2112 has a reputation beyond reputerockdog2112 has a reputation beyond reputerockdog2112 has a reputation beyond reputerockdog2112 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

20 years working for a general contractor(same one). Last 13, school teacher. Nothing wrong with switching up. Good luck with whatever you choose.
is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
Education begins at home, not in school.

The Following User Says Thank You to rockdog2112 For This Useful Post:
aebsledder (09-20-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Currently: my brain hurts...
Basic Member
treemagnet03 has a reputation beyond reputetreemagnet03 has a reputation beyond reputetreemagnet03 has a reputation beyond reputetreemagnet03 has a reputation beyond reputetreemagnet03 has a reputation beyond reputetreemagnet03 has a reputation beyond reputetreemagnet03 has a reputation beyond reputetreemagnet03 has a reputation beyond reputetreemagnet03 has a reputation beyond reputetreemagnet03 has a reputation beyond reputetreemagnet03 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but this makes me laugh a wee bit because two days ago I read this exact sentence in a psychiatry text book, "At approximately 30yrs of age, there is a period of reappraisal of one's life..." Sounds like you are there? All I can say is, do what makes you happy, allows you to retire early or work part time when you get 'of age,' and fight like mad to make work the second best part of life. There should always be something better. Just my 2c.

The Following User Says Thank You to treemagnet03 For This Useful Post:
aebsledder (09-20-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Currently: [Too Long]
Thanked 2,081 Times in 1,316 Posts
m8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond repute

well is it a career change if i was a female hooker and had a sex change and now i am a male hooker...??...i mean it was pretty drastic...lol..
07/m8 141 900 bigbore, Stm valves, Bdx oil delete, adj fuel reg, bumper kit ,Rock rollers, light hub and rotor and post brace, Fastlane no snows and 9 inch 2 wheel kit ,Dayton weights, Shift assist, Timbersled intake, Mtn tamer and Barkbuster with fox evols , Diamond s hood, Boss shorty seat ,Rox risers, Koso egts , a/r , water temp guage .Mod ski's. 911 cover

400 pounds...!!!!!!!

Old 09-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Currently: Husky Powered, Woof Woof
Thanked 16,357 Times in 7,834 Posts
christopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aebsledder View Post
So...anybody make the jump?
HECK YA I DID.

SEVERAL TIMES!!

Life is too short to do just one thing...
Never be afraid to reinvent yourself.
But always, FOLLOW YOUR PASSION.
Do what you love, and you will love what you do!

1st Career
Combat Medic, 82nd Airborne.

2nd Career
Computer sales and assembly

3rd Career
Hyperbaric Software & SCUBA Manufacturing

4th Career
Performance Boat Manufacturing

5th and current Career.
Publishing and Forum Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to christopher For This Useful Post:
aebsledder (09-20-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Currently: Turbo triple comming soon!
Ryanlilly has a reputation beyond reputeRyanlilly has a reputation beyond reputeRyanlilly has a reputation beyond reputeRyanlilly has a reputation beyond reputeRyanlilly has a reputation beyond reputeRyanlilly has a reputation beyond reputeRyanlilly has a reputation beyond reputeRyanlilly has a reputation beyond reputeRyanlilly has a reputation beyond reputeRyanlilly has a reputation beyond reputeRyanlilly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8magicandmystery View Post
well is it a career change if i was a female hooker and had a sex change and now i am a male hooker...?? ...i mean it was pretty drastic...lol..
Wtf? Lol.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:33 PM
Currently: 16 KTM 450 XCF Snowtech MX 129" CMX track
WaBackcountry has a reputation beyond reputeWaBackcountry has a reputation beyond reputeWaBackcountry has a reputation beyond reputeWaBackcountry has a reputation beyond reputeWaBackcountry has a reputation beyond reputeWaBackcountry has a reputation beyond reputeWaBackcountry has a reputation beyond reputeWaBackcountry has a reputation beyond reputeWaBackcountry has a reputation beyond reputeWaBackcountry has a reputation beyond reputeWaBackcountry has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Be real, its all work.

But the fact that we are killing time on a site like this means it can't be that rough.

The Following User Says Thank You to WaBackcountry For This Useful Post:
aebsledder (09-20-2011)
Old 09-20-2011, 05:40 AM
Currently: Trump is a troll
Thanked 3,603 Times in 1,809 Posts
Mafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond repute

Left the farm for school,
diesel mechanic,
welder
car sales
marine shop service writer
road const
welder
car sales
millwright
maint mgr
petro truck tech
marine sales (millwright work on side)

keep the mindset that change is easy

Member of South Dakota Snowmobile Assn.

Support the sport you love, join a club & get involved!

Remember, Pig & Elephant DNA just don't splice

The Following User Says Thank You to Mafesto For This Useful Post:
aebsledder (09-20-2011)
Old 09-20-2011, 06:06 AM
Currently: Who needs 2 kidneys anyways.................. ..
Thanked 1,354 Times in 749 Posts
Dam Dave has a reputation beyond reputeDam Dave has a reputation beyond reputeDam Dave has a reputation beyond reputeDam Dave has a reputation beyond reputeDam Dave has a reputation beyond reputeDam Dave has a reputation beyond reputeDam Dave has a reputation beyond reputeDam Dave has a reputation beyond reputeDam Dave has a reputation beyond reputeDam Dave has a reputation beyond reputeDam Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to Dam Dave For This Useful Post:
aebsledder (09-20-2011)
Old 09-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Currently: Not set.
blackhillsnytro has a reputation beyond reputeblackhillsnytro has a reputation beyond reputeblackhillsnytro has a reputation beyond reputeblackhillsnytro has a reputation beyond reputeblackhillsnytro has a reputation beyond reputeblackhillsnytro has a reputation beyond reputeblackhillsnytro has a reputation beyond reputeblackhillsnytro has a reputation beyond reputeblackhillsnytro has a reputation beyond reputeblackhillsnytro has a reputation beyond reputeblackhillsnytro has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blackhillsnytro For This Useful Post:
aebsledder (09-20-2011), christopher (09-23-2011)
Old 09-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Currently: 6hundy Turbo full mod
Racer220 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer220 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer220 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer220 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer220 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer220 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer220 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer220 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer220 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer220 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer220 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Racer220 For This Useful Post:
aebsledder (09-20-2011), christopher (09-23-2011), xpspenziv (09-22-2011)
Old 09-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Currently: Working,
Thanked 2,727 Times in 1,769 Posts
WyoBoy1000 has a reputation beyond reputeWyoBoy1000 has a reputation beyond reputeWyoBoy1000 has a reputation beyond reputeWyoBoy1000 has a reputation beyond reputeWyoBoy1000 has a reputation beyond reputeWyoBoy1000 has a reputation beyond reputeWyoBoy1000 has a reputation beyond reputeWyoBoy1000 has a reputation beyond reputeWyoBoy1000 has a reputation beyond reputeWyoBoy1000 has a reputation beyond reputeWyoBoy1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-20-2011, 05:55 PM
blackhillsnytro has a reputation beyond reputeblackhillsnytro has a reputation beyond reputeblackhillsnytro has a reputation beyond reputeblackhillsnytro has a reputation beyond reputeblackhillsnytro has a reputation beyond reputeblackhillsnytro has a reputation beyond reputeblackhillsnytro has a reputation beyond reputeblackhillsnytro has a reputation beyond reputeblackhillsnytro has a reputation beyond reputeblackhillsnytro has a reputation beyond reputeblackhillsnytro has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-20-2011, 06:12 PM
shawn2820 has a reputation beyond reputeshawn2820 has a reputation beyond reputeshawn2820 has a reputation beyond reputeshawn2820 has a reputation beyond reputeshawn2820 has a reputation beyond reputeshawn2820 has a reputation beyond reputeshawn2820 has a reputation beyond reputeshawn2820 has a reputation beyond reputeshawn2820 has a reputation beyond reputeshawn2820 has a reputation beyond reputeshawn2820 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-22-2011, 05:00 AM
Currently: boooasting
xpspenziv has a reputation beyond reputexpspenziv has a reputation beyond reputexpspenziv has a reputation beyond reputexpspenziv has a reputation beyond reputexpspenziv has a reputation beyond reputexpspenziv has a reputation beyond reputexpspenziv has a reputation beyond reputexpspenziv has a reputation beyond reputexpspenziv has a reputation beyond reputexpspenziv has a reputation beyond reputexpspenziv has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to xpspenziv For This Useful Post:
aebsledder (09-23-2011)
Old 09-22-2011, 07:33 AM
machinest660 has a reputation beyond reputemachinest660 has a reputation beyond reputemachinest660 has a reputation beyond reputemachinest660 has a reputation beyond reputemachinest660 has a reputation beyond reputemachinest660 has a reputation beyond reputemachinest660 has a reputation beyond reputemachinest660 has a reputation beyond reputemachinest660 has a reputation beyond reputemachinest660 has a reputation beyond reputemachinest660 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to machinest660 For This Useful Post:
aebsledder (09-23-2011)
Old 09-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Currently: <<In-House PolarisTechnician not as involved in the shop
Thanked 1,567 Times in 907 Posts
diamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Currently: Husky Powered, Woof Woof
Thanked 16,357 Times in 7,834 Posts
christopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christopher For This Useful Post:
aebsledder (09-23-2011), xpspenziv (09-28-2011)
Old 09-24-2011, 12:08 AM
xpspenziv has a reputation beyond reputexpspenziv has a reputation beyond reputexpspenziv has a reputation beyond reputexpspenziv has a reputation beyond reputexpspenziv has a reputation beyond reputexpspenziv has a reputation beyond reputexpspenziv has a reputation beyond reputexpspenziv has a reputation beyond reputexpspenziv has a reputation beyond reputexpspenziv has a reputation beyond reputexpspenziv has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-24-2011, 03:16 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 09-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Currently: too stupid to stay at SW
Banned
snowmobilesrme has a reputation beyond reputesnowmobilesrme has a reputation beyond reputesnowmobilesrme has a reputation beyond reputesnowmobilesrme has a reputation beyond reputesnowmobilesrme has a reputation beyond reputesnowmobilesrme has a reputation beyond reputesnowmobilesrme has a reputation beyond reputesnowmobilesrme has a reputation beyond reputesnowmobilesrme has a reputation beyond reputesnowmobilesrme has a reputation beyond reputesnowmobilesrme has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Currently: TEARING UP THE NORTH WEST!!!
suitcase has a reputation beyond reputesuitcase has a reputation beyond reputesuitcase has a reputation beyond reputesuitcase has a reputation beyond reputesuitcase has a reputation beyond reputesuitcase has a reputation beyond reputesuitcase has a reputation beyond reputesuitcase has a reputation beyond reputesuitcase has a reputation beyond reputesuitcase has a reputation beyond reputesuitcase has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 09-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Currently: Back from riding the wilderness
POLZIN has a reputation beyond reputePOLZIN has a reputation beyond reputePOLZIN has a reputation beyond reputePOLZIN has a reputation beyond reputePOLZIN has a reputation beyond reputePOLZIN has a reputation beyond reputePOLZIN has a reputation beyond reputePOLZIN has a reputation beyond reputePOLZIN has a reputation beyond reputePOLZIN has a reputation beyond reputePOLZIN has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register