• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Side panel melting

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
I've got three rides on the Alpha now and see this. The spot is very well shielded with the thick pad so I'm at a bit of a loss as to how this happened. WOT runs have been quite short so far. What's going to happen on the five minute glacier climbs? Stock can.

picture.php

picture.php

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
Picture didn’t come through. Can you describe where you’re seeing it? My skid plate is melted right behind the exhaust outlet. It seemed the exhaust temps were really high during breakin. Haven’t noticed them high at all since then, but haven’t watch real close.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Picture didn’t come through. Can you describe where you’re seeing it? My skid plate is melted right behind the exhaust outlet. It seemed the exhaust temps were really high during breakin. Haven’t noticed them high at all since then, but haven’t watch real close.

Hmmmm I can see the pictures. It's the right hand panel lower front tab that locks into the belly pan. It's close to the muffler but completely protected by the insulating pad. Maybe it was already melted and I didn't notice.

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
I’m on my phone so maybe it just doesn’t show up. I’ll look at mine tomorrow and see if it is at all. Haven’t noticed when filling with oil. I’m probably a touch over 10 hours now. Have done some pretty good pulls with it.

akstormin

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2008
Eagle River, AK
The stock can will retain a ton of heat with all that mass, and it takes up most of the space so airflow is pretty limited. An aftermarket can will be have much better airflow around it and retain a lot less heat as well. All my M sleds would melt stuff with the stock can, but never a problem with an aftermarket....A quiet aftermarket, personally not a fan of loud cans.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
The stock can will retain a ton of heat with all that mass, and it takes up most of the space so airflow is pretty limited. An aftermarket can will be have much better airflow around it and retain a lot less heat as well. All my M sleds would melt stuff with the stock can, but never a problem with an aftermarket....A quiet aftermarket, personally not a fan of loud cans.

I was hoping to keep it stock but can't have things melting this early in the game. I like quiet too. Maybe an SLP.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
I too have the belly pan melting just move the deflector forward about 1/2 in to see what I get.

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
Yep. Not sure what I’m supposed to do about them when the engine is running normal temp and I’m not hot rodding it when they’re almost all the way up.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I am curious what the temps were.
I only have 26 miles on mine.
Nuthing melted but i Haven't climbed anything.
Ran it up to 76mph. Cruised at 40-60.

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
I am curious what the temps were.
I only have 26 miles on mine.
Nuthing melted but i Haven't climbed anything.
Ran it up to 76mph. Cruised at 40-60.

Holy sheet..........76 mph and a 3" track. you're a brave man. I cringe at 60 with these big tracks. had to sound like a helicopter!

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
thanks for the heads up I get my first ride coming this week in Colorado, maybe pull my side panel off during break-in and extra fuel delivery
I am running quiet can from Diamond S so perhaps I will be fine.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Holy sheet..........76 mph and a 3" track. you're a brave man. I cringe at 60 with these big tracks. had to sound like a helicopter!
At 80mph that rear starts to lift and u just hover over the moguls...
3rd sled with 3in, all of which will see 80+ for short periods.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Didn’t even think you could hit 70 with the gearing they have in these. I have 140 miles on mine and no melting issues

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
I melted my right hand side panel also. I know exactly how it happened also. I was in a steep climb with the skis in the air and close to the top And spun out on a rock and tried to pull it around and didn’t quite make it all the way and landed on the right hand side panel. Dig down to get at the kill switch and shut it off. Once I got the sled upright again I could see where the panel was melted.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
thanks for the heads up I get my first ride coming this week in Colorado, maybe pull my side panel off during break-in and extra fuel delivery
I am running quiet can from Diamond S so perhaps I will be fine.

Just FYI... More fuel on a gas motor drops combustion temps, lean raises them. Diesels are just the opposite.

It should actually run lower egts during break in.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Ok, maybe brave wasn't quite the word I was looking for , ha ha
I've logged over 8k miles on powerclaw tracks. Only issue i have ever had was on a 2.6....
Brave, Crazy, lucky, dumb, whatever u want to call it. I've had good luck with powerclaw tracks and arctic cat engines.

Premium Features