• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED A 2019 AXYS 850 ENGINE FAILURE ?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
If anyone wants to hear of a blow up, my buddies new Alpha blew at 70kms. Electrical issue took out oil pump.

None of the 850's have gone down cause we have no miles on em......lol
I thought the Ctec2 would throw a code if the oil pump wasn't responding to the PCM?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
It seems like no one other than the 2 referenced by OP...which are the same 2 everyone is referencing.
I rode my Alpha right next to the 850 with the broken crank.
I did not physically touch the snowmobile. so, i guess that is a reference?

I don't know if the owner is on Snowest but his buddy that was there, is on here.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I rode my Alpha right next to the 850 with the broken crank.
I did not physically touch the snowmobile. so, i guess that is a reference?

I don't know if the owner is on Snowest but his buddy that was there, is on here.

I missed that one.....not doubting you. That said, generally speaking, I skim past the "my buddy that rides the brand I don't has big issues" posts. Too many years on here...some are legit, some aren't.

R

Ratchit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 18, 2013
here
Hey guys I couldn't give a **** about the Alpha, can we get back on track please.

Is this ur supposed engine or are u posting a couple pics for a friend?

I wanna see intake side of pistons

Motor is really dirty for a new engine for so little miles.

Clear this up with more pics instead of hearsay

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I would like to hear from someone at the dealership at least on this like a service manager or Polaris rep? Pics? The motor in the pics is very questionable for a "new" motor. As for the broken crank, how do you know it was a crank if you just rode up next to it in the field? Was the clutch snapped off?? Any pics?
Anything mechanical is prone to failure, nothing is immune to this. So when any of you hear of a breakdown we would like to hear much more info and please discern between a breakdown and a failure. Yes, there is a huge difference. Ive even had friends add more oil to their 1st couple tanks because they didn't trust the factory break-in programed in the ECU and fouled plugs. This example is not a failure or mechanical breakdown, it was a maintenance issue and simply changing the plugs and adding fresh gas and it ripped while still in break-in mode. There were some pretty brutal "test" miles some of us put on these sleds long before this years production came out with surprisingly little refining from test to production other than ECU calibrations. The ones we rode, Ill say they weren't babied and the motors still looked cleaner than the one pictured.
Thanks for any "solid" info, good, bad or ugly. :)

Last edited:
J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
So we have 2 failures out of a few thousand? Not terrible honestly. Both seem to be failure of the one-off kind, not the "intrinsic to design" kind. Weird how they were both in the same family...

Either way, I don't think this is worth worrying about unless you see repeatable failures of the same kind...

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I would like to hear from someone at the dealership at least on this like a service manager or Polaris rep? Pics? The motor in the pics is very questionable for a "new" motor. As for the broken crank, how do you know it was a crank if you just rode up next to it in the field? Was the clutch snapped off??

one of the guys in the group(all Polaris) posted on snowest. He said the sled is at the dealer and it is a broken crank.
There were 2 850's only one had an issue, the other one ran fine.

I am not here to bash.
I would like for all brands to be successful.
I am only answering the OP.

Last edited:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
On one hand, with the delivery issues, there are very little miles on the sleds.
On the other hand, as posted, there are always a few issues. When the Axys 800 first came out, there were 4? engine failures with rings catching right off the bat, then it seems to be a very reliable engine other than injector rails falling off.
I too am interested to see.

Premium Features