• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

18 Free-Ride Cooler is Shot....

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Since the damage was not a warranty repair... a patch will not affect the warranty on the sled unless it leaks and caused overheating.

Acrylic Fusor or Lords 406 would be the call from experience... more appropriate choice compared to epoxy in terms of prep, adhesion over temp shifts, flex and it is very tough.

You will only need a small piece of ) .060" aluminum for the patch... and the adhesive.
Hang high by rear bumper.... drain the coolant past the leak... then scuff with scotch brite.... clean with alcohol ... allow it to dry and apply the patch at normal room temp... not below 60˚F. Will cure in 6 minutes and be ready to fill and start then.

That patch will be there permanently... AND, should you choose later to remove it... you can with a heat gun or torch easily.

Make sure to follow proper fill/bleed procedures when you add coolant.

https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236325

https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328615

https://www.chemical-concepts.com/snow-mobile-repair-kit-1.html
1snowkit.jpg

Good luck.

Last edited:
K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
Since the damage was not a warranty repair... a patch will not affect the warranty on the sled unless it leaks and caused overheating.

Acrylic Fusor or Lords 406 would be the call from experience... more appropriate choice compared to epoxy in terms of prep, adhesion over temp shifts, flex and it is very tough.

You will only need a small piece of ) .060" aluminum for the patch... and the adhesive.
Hang high by rear bumper.... drain the coolant past the leak... then scuff with scotch brite.... clean with alcohol ... allow it to dry and apply the patch at normal room temp... not below 60˚F. Will cure in 6 minutes and be ready to fill and start then.

That patch will be there permanently... AND, should you choose later to remove it... you can with a heat gun or torch easily.

Make sure to follow proper fill/bleed procedures when you add coolant.

https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236325

https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328615

https://www.chemical-concepts.com/snow-mobile-repair-kit-1.html
1snowkit.jpg

Good luck.

This is pretty indepth we may not use this on this sled but I will be saving these instructions for the next time. Thanks a bunch

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Yes. I still don't think they'd total it if the tunnel had to be changed.

Anyways, looking at the parts fiche...looks removable to me?

https://www.ronniesmailorder.com/oe...f/frame-freeride-engine-850-e-tec-package-137

Can anyone confirm?

Yep... Part #10,

Assembly Radiator 137
Your Price: $549.99

The whole 'frame' assembly, without the front modules, is PN:415130191, Black Tunnel Module Freeride 137, $2,794.99 USD

That cooler (aka 'radiator' ) would be a PITA to replace and would require disassembly/assembly of most of the sled.

Patch that sucker... It will cost a fortune in parts and labor to replace the cooler or the tunnel assembly... and who knows, it could happen again in your riding area.... besides the wait time for shipping and labor if you are not doing it yourself... serious down-time mid season now.

Definitely not a warranty repair.

A good patch is a quality solution for sure.

I'd keep a "kit" for those repairs in my trailer or garage in case it happened to me or a buddy. Something simple for the field repairs if it happened.

Sounds to me like these coolers are pretty thin...we all want a lighter sled and the factories found ways to make that happen.

A patch, using Acrylic adhesive above will be STRONGER than a weld or welded-patch.

Last edited:

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I'd keep a "kit" for those repairs in my trailer or garage in case it happened to me or a buddy. Something simple for the field repairs if it happened.

Just remember Lord 406 has a shelf life of approx 9 months. I have never tested their products beyond their shelf life but I just wanted to give a heads up if a person bought this and left it in their trailer for long time before using.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Good point on shelf life ... especially if stored in a warm environment or in the sun.

I've kept the 406 in my fridge for more than 3 years and used them without issues so long as they are not open.... Did a pull test on a lap joint with a comealong and the aluminum yielded before the joint.

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
I agree, I miss understood your post. I had thought I had read something a ways back on how the tunnel and the cooler were formed as one piece. I was wrong. Yeah it does not look like a cool time to replace. Anything with rivets I like to stay very clear from.

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
So an update at to what the dealer that has the sleds plan is and that is to tig weld it. Now I did not talk to the dealer direct, but i do have a reasonable amount of knowledge on welding and from what they say they have a way of chemically treating the aluminum then filling the cooler with a gas of some nature under pressure so they can get a "pure" weld. Time will tell if that works.

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
Is there a reason you are averse to patching it?

Right?!?

Patching seems so easy, tig welding paper thin aluminum on the other hand will introduce stress in the aluminum around the weld (when the weld cools it shrinks), and given the thinness of the material there is certainly a chance that you will develop a crack around one side of the weld at some point in the future after the sled has been ridden hard, at least that's what I'd be worried about.

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
To be honest no not at all, its not my sled is the reason. My Cousin is new to the backcountry side of the sport and had a really bad first day. I offered to take care of it all for him that's where the post came from. I myself would do what you had suggested, I come from a mill work background and glue with the proper application is typically stronger than screws.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
then filling the cooler with a gas of some nature under pressure so they can get a "pure" weld. Time will tell if that works.

Any pressure at all will make it near impossible to weld without burning through.

I second the adhesive patch method.

Premium Features