• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How are the running boards on the Alpha?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
They look so dated compared to the competition. Also look like they will hold snow badly especially our wet coastal stuff but I haven’t heard any real complaints. I cracked and ordered Airframes Saturday from Racinstation for mine and I haven’t even ridden it. I’m a sucker for some Airframes!

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
They look so dated compared to the competition. Also look like they will hold snow badly especially our wet coastal stuff but I haven’t heard any real complaints. I cracked and ordered Airframes Saturday from Racinstation for mine and I haven’t even ridden it. I’m a sucker for some Airframes!

Good choice.

The stockers suck just like they did in 2012.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Thanks bro I feel better about my $400 expenditure lol!

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
No real issue holding snow. I don’t like how narrow the the foot hold is and how slippery the edge is. They also aren’t all that strong...

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
They hold less snow than Polaris' razor sharp boards and ski-doos.
When the snow is wet like this last weekend, it does build up at the back 6-8". Easy enough to remove with one swipe or stomp(tube boards are the same). I ride with people that have tube boards, Absolutely no less build up than my stock boards.
I hate the flat feel of tube boards. I like the taller outer edge of factory cat boards, it helps roll the ankle toward the tunnel. Gives better control, more secure feeling.

I haven't had a traction issue on cat boards since 2014.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
They hold less snow than Polaris' razor sharp boards and ski-doos.
When the snow is wet like this last weekend, it does build up at the back 6-8". Easy enough to remove with one swipe or stomp(tube boards are the same). I ride with people that have tube boards, Absolutely no less build up than my stock boards.
I hate the flat feel of tube boards. I like the taller outer edge of factory cat boards, it helps roll the ankle toward the tunnel. Gives better control, more secure feeling.

I haven't had a traction issue on cat boards since 2014.

I disagree. I've had years of 'normal' stock boards just like everyone and now 3 sleds with tube boards. The AC ones build up less than the angled polaris ones.....but the polaris ones grip better. Skidoo boards just suck all around.

Where the ac boards do require a stomp or two, every set of tube boards I've had don't require a stomp, just move your foot to stand and the snow naturally clears away. It's only one step difference but it's an important one.

I won't run a sled without them now. Whenever I buy another sled I usually do go ride the stock ones while I wait for the tube ones to arrive. Never once have I NOT thought they're an immediate and significant improvement once they're on.

Plus they strengthen the tunnel.

U

Uncle Bob

Feb 15, 2011
First ride back on a cat after a three year stint on an axys. They do get small up front if you ride with your feet all the way forward. Which I found I did when I was riding rough trails. I could feel the inside of my feet rubbing on the break cover and the chain case cover. But was not too bad. When carving I would move my feet back a bit and actually felt the boards where too wide. I actually like turning my toe in and dropping my head off the side of the running board in the direction I’m carving. A technique I learned from riding the axys. This seemed more difficult and uncomfortable on the cat. But I do think the cat boards shed snow at least as good as the new Polaris ones if not better. The reaction was good when on the edge but traction when standing flat on the boards could be better this is an area that works good enough but the s cat guys really deserve a new set up here. That doesn’t involve 400 dollar boards and cutting up a new sled.

Dec 13, 2015
I’m really wanting to get an Alpha but I’m a little hesitant due to their boards. They look the same as my 10 HCR’s did which weren’t very good in my opinion. I really like the boards on my Axys but I really want the Alpha. I just don’t like the idea of hacking up the boards on a brand new sled either. Not sure if should wait for a ‘20 model with hopes they have better boards or just pull the trigger on a 19 Alpha ?*♂️??*♂️??*♂️. Decisions, decisions, decisions

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I’m really wanting to get an Alpha but I’m a little hesitant due to their boards. They look the same as my 10 HCR’s did which weren’t very good in my opinion. I really like the boards on my Axys but I really want the Alpha. I just don’t like the idea of hacking up the boards on a brand new sled either. Not sure if should wait for a ‘20 model with hopes they have better boards or just pull the trigger on a 19 Alpha ��*♂️����*♂️����*♂️. Decisions, decisions, decisions

the proclimb/acender stock boards are definitely better than the old m-series. Bigger cutouts and powdercoating help significantly.

But dude, don't let running boards keep you from something as unique as an alpha if you want one. You're not 'hacking' as much as just trimming the tunnel on the sides where it should have been :D

It's so much of an improvement to throw tube boards or even the BDX ones on there..... And even if you don't want to do that, the stock ones aren't that bad.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
There are basically Polaris extruded boards in the Arctic Cat accessory catalog so if that's what you like they can be added. I haven't put any of these on myself, but they look like they would be a little easier to install with a few cuts and rivets over tube ones.

I'm a tube running board fan myself though. After doing a few sets I have no problems cutting into a new sled to put them on, no matter what brand sled it is!

Last edited:

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
Buy the Cat boards while you are buying the sled and you can probably work a deal for the install cost if you aren’t comfortable doing it yourself.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Buy the Cat boards while you are buying the sled and you can probably work a deal for the install cost if you aren’t comfortable doing it yourself.

I never turn down a chance to work with my favorite girl makita

makita-angle-grinders-9557nb-64_1000.jpg

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
My bud picked up an Alpha two days ago, we rode two days and he "missed the boards" a few times. Or slipped off them. He is coming off a 12 HCR, so not sure if boards are narrower or if he is getting used to the MUCH better sled?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
My bud picked up an Alpha two days ago, we rode two days and he "missed the boards" a few times. Or slipped off them. He is coming off a 12 HCR, so not sure if boards are narrower or if he is getting used to the MUCH better sled?
They are narrower.
My first few rides last yr i was over stepping the boards.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
The Cat Pro boards are extruded inserts and $400 retail. The airframes I bought were also $400. Someone at Cat should get a slap for that. The Pro boards should be on the Alpha stock. They also shouldn’t be so expensive for 2 pieces of extruded aluminum.

Premium Features