• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha review

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Got out on mine this weekend 1st ride. Sled is unreal. I did things Ive never done on a sled. Went into a turn out on a super steep hill in tight trees, went straight vertical like a re entry then pointed the sled still vertical down hill while still at wot, hold it there for a moment, then manipulate the direction I wanted to lay the front end back down. It was stupid fun.

Only things I noticed were it's less predictable than my 18 is slow moving both skis on the ground tracking through an old hard track on a half ass sidehill trail, if you dip a ski off the track it will want to push it downhill quicker. Luckily you can pop the throttle and get it on one ski real quick and recover. Biggest thing I noticed is elevator's are way harder now. The sled just keeps digging into the hill and wanting to stay in it instead of sliding out. Its crazy but makes sense. I feel this thing is gonna hold the steepest hills like a monster. Just gotta watch if you stop on a steep sidehill and want to get off the sled. Make sure its stuck in the snow well cause it wants to pull itself back level to where the track doesn't flex.

Donuts are a hoot. Can lay this sled so far on its side and not wash the track out sideways. Did it once but I had to put a lot of effort in to do so. Sled pops back up level so nice compared to my 18.

Skis, well I still think I like the grippers better, but I want to ride it in different snow conditions before I can really give the stock skis a good review. Snow I rode had some setup catchy pow so it felt like the ski handles didnt dip in and out of the snow as clean as the gripper. That tiny bit of extra length might have made it feel more catchy too. Still need more time, but I bet in deep fresh snow they will be great.

The 154 did have more wheelie than my 18 153, but not too much where it hurt me or made me wish I had gotten a 165. It's easily controllable. Traction is amazing.

I sold my highly modded and turbod axys this fall because I liked riding my 18 MC better last year with minimal mods. Glad I sold the axys and got the Alpha. Just wished I would have snowchecked like I usually do.

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
Check out the Sly dog attack’s. Loved the grippers but once seeing the attack in person, I think the will be the new ski to beat. Looking forward to getting more miles on mine.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I tried to spin around down hill in wet snow....
As soon as the headlight hit the snow, it stopped and i went flying... lol

Skis are definitely better than previous cats.
A bit twitchy though. I will give them a few more rides in different snow before i put Grippers on.

On the trail up, mine hit 161°. (4" of new snow)it was raining also so, it was warm
My 18 wouldn't hit 140°.
Ill wait till it's finished with breakin before i get concerned over this.

Hand and thumb warmers quit working on the way back to the truck. Codes p1600/p1603. When i got home, started sled, codes are gone and warmers work.

Going down hill, it is definitely easy to roll over, even if that wasn't what u wanted to do... lol

It's gonna take some learning from me. Need to back off, and relax a little while riding.

Traction is amazing, as expected.
Side hill as slow as u want on the right side and the exhaust doesn't plug up!

My 165 doesn't wheelie as well as my 18 162.
Gonna play with suspension and fix that lol.

Still not enough snow here to fully test it.
fd19f20331658a2b395daea62fb3a5b1.jpg

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Got out on mine this weekend 1st ride. Sled is unreal. I did things Ive never done on a sled. Went into a turn out on a super steep hill in tight trees, went straight vertical like a re entry then pointed the sled still vertical down hill while still at wot, hold it there for a moment, then manipulate the direction I wanted to lay the front end back down. It was stupid fun.

Only things I noticed were it's less predictable than my 18 is slow moving both skis on the ground tracking through an old hard track on a half ass sidehill trail, if you dip a ski off the track it will want to push it downhill quicker. Luckily you can pop the throttle and get it on one ski real quick and recover. Biggest thing I noticed is elevator's are way harder now. The sled just keeps digging into the hill and wanting to stay in it instead of sliding out. Its crazy but makes sense. I feel this thing is gonna hold the steepest hills like a monster. Just gotta watch if you stop on a steep sidehill and want to get off the sled. Make sure its stuck in the snow well cause it wants to pull itself back level to where the track doesn't flex.

Donuts are a hoot. Can lay this sled so far on its side and not wash the track out sideways. Did it once but I had to put a lot of effort in to do so. Sled pops back up level so nice compared to my 18.

Skis, well I still think I like the grippers better, but I want to ride it in different snow conditions before I can really give the stock skis a good review. Snow I rode had some setup catchy pow so it felt like the ski handles didnt dip in and out of the snow as clean as the gripper. That tiny bit of extra length might have made it feel more catchy too. Still need more time, but I bet in deep fresh snow they will be great.

The 154 did have more wheelie than my 18 153, but not too much where it hurt me or made me wish I had gotten a 165. It's easily controllable. Traction is amazing.

I sold my highly modded and turbod axys this fall because I liked riding my 18 MC better last year with minimal mods. Glad I sold the axys and got the Alpha. Just wished I would have snowchecked like I usually do.

Had mine out for three days this weekend. I agree with everything you wrote. Re entries are a blast. So much fun I pushed it to much in the low snow and ended up coming down on a rock with the tunnel. Bent it bad, even with b&m fab bumper. I know it would have bent worse with a stock bumper. The price of having fun.

The traction is amazing. It pulled out of holes I didn’t think was possible.

Super easy and fun turning out in steep climbs.

Love the new motor.

Going to take some playing to find the perfect shock pressures.

All maneuvers are just easier, in some cases to easy.

Not rushing to put grippers on like on my 16. Within 2 miles on the first ride I knew the skis needed changed on the 16, not the case with the new gen.

I did wash out twice but before everyone starts freaking out. My 16 would have done the same, absolutely no doubt about it. It was just a perfect mix of rider error, hidden hard slabs under a thin layer and to much throttle. The only difference is when this happens hang on it’s a fun ride....lol! The one I did a complete 180.

To date my 06 M7 is still my favorite sled. I had so much fun on that sled for it’s time. I have not enjoyed a sled as much as that one. I kept that sled for a long time. Didn’t buy another until the 13 PC. The 16 with the dropped case was close. After three rides I’m certain the Alpha will be the new top dog!!

U

Uncle Bob

Feb 15, 2011
I also got stuck a couple of times on the weekend in the same way where you are carving down hill and go to turn up hill in a normal turn and not an elevator.but s normal up hill turn. And I don’t know if it’s the freedom to really put weight forward which is not a usual cat technique or the sleds uncanny ability to drive forward in the powder but I kept driving the downhill ski into the hill and plowing the front end under. Driver error I’m sure. I need to find the balance point

Everyone in my group who tried all were impressed with how it just drive forward when you walked the throttle in powder. All other sleds would drop the back end. Then pop back up and drive forward

Another pleasant surprise is the ability to easily turn out of a climb in deep snow. Long after the point when other sleds would no longer let you go anywhere but deeper down

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Super excited about this sled. My bud just bought one, a 165. Taking it out tomorrow with my 165 Summit and another bud's 163 850 Poo. Really curious to see how the season goes.

skiutahcabin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 6, 2012
Timber Lakes Utah
My Alpha Review

Had a day on the Alpha last week- the hype is true. The snow was ok, but on the Alpha it turned it into great. Area had 2ft of fresh lee side and most areas with less, however in all conditions it was spot on.
PROS:
nimble, but not unstable
trail riding was even stable
flickable, far a beyond 2018 Axys (and I thought those were easy, this was more stable)
light, seemed like the weight was really well balanced.
fast power, very predictable, plenty available for most conditions.
able to steer with feet and hips, so shoulders don't get trashed
easy to get out of a bind, even when stuck as it's SO narrow up front

CONS:
tether placement is too close to pull-start- gets caught starting
seems like a heavy item in the warming pouch would open it if you rolled hard, as the closure was only magnetic, held my phone well with multiple roll overs.

The sled had good power, though in really deep snow I may want a bit more - boost it? having spent time on 850s, I believe this motor was a bit stronger and every bit as responsive if not more. Best non-mod sled I've ridden for power.

I recently sold my turbo'd sled and was regretting it until I rode the Alpha. I have had a smile thinking about it for days. I'm attaching a couple pics, showing the uphill carving and a super tight doughnut- sorry for the low res.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Yea, the tether placement is terrible. Got into some real technical stuff last week and somehow ended up wrapping the tether around the left handle bar and it broke off the reverse switch. Really sucks to not have reverse. Anyway, amazing sled. I too sold my highly modded 17’ axys turbo, I loved that sled and thought I would really miss it. Now that I’ve spend 4 days on my alpha I dont even think about the axys. I tried the slydog attack ski on my alpha my last ride, I loved them. I didn’t think they’d make much difference performance wise. I got them mostly for a color change from the cat black ski. IMO, the attack make the sled even more wicked. Currently installing my wyo steering mod, will have to see what that does to this already outstanding sled.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I'm not putting the steering mod on this sled. For some reason on my 18 with the way I have the left tie rod mounted to the lower wyo bracket it turns in more than the right side. So if I hit something with the ski just right at full lock I bend the tie rod as it hits the lower a arm. I carry a spare 38" tie rod on my 18 now. I think I bent 4 already. Didn't have any issues with it on my 16 though which is odd. And with the new rail and track design I don't feel the mod necessary on the Alpha. Not to mention cutting up the bulkhead and taking the front end apart to install it.

I agree the tether placement sucks. I have popped it off a couple times when pulling the rope.

You got any pics of the under side of the attack ski? Are they heavier than the cat ski? I know the gripper is still lighter than the new cat ski.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
I'm not putting the steering mod on this sled. For some reason on my 18 with the way I have the left tie rod mounted to the lower wyo bracket it turns in more than the right side. So if I hit something with the ski just right at full lock I bend the tie rod as it hits the lower a arm. I carry a spare 38" tie rod on my 18 now. I think I bent 4 already. Didn't have any issues with it on my 16 though which is odd. And with the new rail and track design I don't feel the mod necessary on the Alpha. Not to mention cutting up the bulkhead and taking the front end apart to install it.

I agree the tether placement sucks. I have popped it off a couple times when pulling the rope.

You got any pics of the under side of the attack ski? Are they heavier than the cat ski? I know the gripper is still lighter than the new cat ski.

Glad to see you admit this! I am so sick of bending tie rods with the mod and have no interest in cutting up my sled. On the 16 it wasn't optional but I am yet to find a situation I need it even in the most technical riding. Now I would still love to see cat find a solution to increase turning because it would just make them that much better.

H
Oct 14, 2009
Appleton Maine
Im happy for Cat. The sled seems to be performing as advertised. I was skeptical one when I heard about it. I loved the old M chasis. Had a 12 and 13 M and it sucked. I left cat road skidoo from 2014 to 2017. Checked a RMK for 2018 and gonna ride it 2019. But the way the reviews are coming in, Ill be ordering a Alpha fro 2020.

thanks for the updates, glad the sled is going good for the guys!

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city

Maybe I will back off on the steering mod install. The sled performs so well as is, and would really hate to have a steering problem in the back country. I had it all apart to install the turbo so thought I’d do the steering while the intake was all apart.
Unfortunately the attack is 2lbs heavier per ski than the gripper. That’s fully assembled with supplied hardware.
I have a pic somewhere is the ski bottom

Here’s a link to a post I did a while ago comparing the attack ski to the gripper. Has pics and weights
https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=443548&highlight=Attack

Last edited:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Only thing that I did NOT like is the amount of effort it takes to steer the thing. Granted, I am used to effortless Doo steering, but I could feel it in my arms after 5 minutes on the Alpha.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Only thing that I did NOT like is the amount of effort it takes to steer the thing. Granted, I am used to effortless Doo steering, but I could feel it in my arms after 5 minutes on the Alpha.
Adjust the shocks. U can tune a lot into or out of the steering.
Probably never as easy as doo though.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I hope the steering isn't that bad. That was one of the appealing things with the gen 4. I have really cranky concrete shoulders and a bone spur.

Devilmanak, what did you think of the alpha? How did it compare with the rest. Sounds like everything was there.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.

I’m glad you said this ^^
Skidoo steering is light! i have a hard time finding my balance on harder steering sleds, feels like it pushes me off.. this is 1 thing that would be hard for me to overcome.. so tempted by this alpha tho! Decisions!.!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features