• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TPS Checker and Setting tool

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
If the TPS is correct is there any reason to complete the other two steps?

Yes... the factory settings are not ideal... they get them pretty close in the production environment... but like anything else... a little time tweaking things can get them better. I've seen Brand new primary clutches that were installed on new sleds that were not "right"... this would be a similar situation of not enough time at the factory spent on setup... some are great... some are not great.

From the manual... the TPS is set and "locked" with the the throttle plates closed...the Idle is then adjusted to that setting.

This is a setting that is easily "off" from the production mfg methods...

One more "tweak" to look at for optimum performance.

Yes the voltages that you spec out are for the Small block CFi's..

Baseline voltage on CFi SMALL BLOCKS (600/700/800):

the voltage is 0.70 +/- 0.01 Vdc.

Idle speed adjustment AFTER baseline is set:
Slowly turn the idle speed adjustment screw (A) clockwise
until the voltage displayed on the multi meter reads 0.95 +/
- 0.1 Vdc (.93 +/- 0.1 Vdc for 755/800/900 CFI engines).

Also.... I like to put a fine piece of wire thru the "synchronization lever tab spring" before I remove it to keep it from flying across the room or dropping into the pan.

G

Going Up

Oct 29, 2001
Spokane, WA
Just for info.....what are some signs that a TPS is not properly set or bad ??

I ran into an issue with my sled today and am wondering if it is the TPS. It has a hard time starting then really doesn't want to idle. Almost acts like it is running on one cylinder. I can get it going once I get the RPM's up, but then it will just fall on its face. By feathering the throttle I can get the RPM's back up and get it going again untill I get out of the throttle, then it falls on its face again.
Does this sound liek the TPS?

T
Oct 8, 2008
i did set my tps today on my 800cfi.. with throttle plates closed i set my tps to 0,700v and then the idle screw to 0,94v..but my idle is high now..about 2400rpm with warm engine? how important is the sync. screws? there is no baseline for that ones?

Last edited:
T

Tellyman

Feb 10, 2008
over here, BC
Hi. Been looking at forum for a couple of years, after about a 12 year absence from sledding, due to one wife, three kids, 2 cats, 2 dogs, and a horse(never thought in my life that i would have or own one.) Seems like alot of knowledgable people on here, with tons of good info. But that's enough of my ranting, could someone please tell me, or help me out here. Have a 08 d8, mid range bog, big time especially when climbing. Just wondering if what Mountainhorse is saying here about setting Tps actually clears up problem, and if not, what else can i try. in dier needs. been to dealer about 7 times, latest reflash done, nothing seems to be working, and to bout, dealer burned down on New Years Eve. Now closest one about 300 miles away.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Hi. Been looking at forum for a couple of years, after about a 12 year absence from sledding, due to one wife, three kids, 2 cats, 2 dogs, and a horse(never thought in my life that i would have or own one.) Seems like alot of knowledgable people on here, with tons of good info. But that's enough of my ranting, could someone please tell me, or help me out here. Have a 08 d8, mid range bog, big time especially when climbing. Just wondering if what Mountainhorse is saying here about setting Tps actually clears up problem, and if not, what else can i try. in dier needs. been to dealer about 7 times, latest reflash done, nothing seems to be working, and to bout, dealer burned down on New Years Eve. Now closest one about 300 miles away.

I am not sure how different the new 800 monoblock motors are in regards to TPS sensors in comparison to the older 900's, but .... I had (and still have) a TPS problem (I hope) ... last year my sled would ONLY run at idle or WOT, nothing in between. Took it to a dealer and they told me the TPS was set wrong.

Now for some reason it sputters slightly at 5300 rpm but only when I'm above 9500 feet.

It could very well be your TPS, they seem to be VERY VERY VERY picky ...

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I'm putting one of these together today, ttt for me.

Me too, soon as I get back home tonight I'm slapping the rear shock back in (Holz revalved it for me) then building this TPS tool, and if I still have time after I get done building the tool, I'll baseline and set the TPS.

The TB's are already out of the sled and I've taken them out so many times now it only takes me like 20 minutes to put the whole intake back together.

I think I am actually gonna switch back to the SLP intake until I can save enough money to get the FnI one, that stock one is a friggen boat anchor and my hood doesn't even shut correctly with it.

From that video MH posted it doesn't look like once you get the tool built and tested that it takes very long to set the TPS as long as you have your TB's out of the sled.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
I am also in the process of building one..have half of it made already..just got back from the dealer..i am replacing the TPS wiring harness anyways (just incase) and then using my OLD harness to solder into the Tool so it will be easier to use insetad of those aligator clips and what not..just simply plug it in to the TPS sensor and adjust..(now i have to wait a week for the harness to come in :()

hopefullyt it works..if it doesnt then i will order the real one from polaris. LOL!!!

good luck Eric and Dog..

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I am also in the process of building one..have half of it made already..just got back from the dealer..i am replacing the TPS wiring harness anyways (just incase) and then using my OLD harness to solder into the Tool so it will be easier to use insetad of those aligator clips and what not..just simply plug it in to the TPS sensor and adjust..(now i have to wait a week for the harness to come in :()

hopefullyt it works..if it doesnt then i will order the real one from polaris. LOL!!!

good luck Eric and Dog..

I tried ordering one from Polaris last year, I don't think they still sell them.

But either way for the price you pay for Polaris, which I'm sure is over $100, you could build 10 of these things.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
i stand corrected...

i found it online, p/n# 2201519 but every place that had it, said they dont carry it any more..it was like $42...

so disreguard my inputs above. haha..

seems it was another way for us to bring polaris our sleds so they can rap you on labor..how wierd..

thanks for crushing my heart DOG

E
Jan 18, 2008
St. Paul, AB
Many "Techs" are simply hooking up the computer and seeing .94V and calling it good, polaris had the very same problem on the 04.5 700 Sportsman, I have done 20 of them and had the customer report back that it was like a new machine. As far as doing the CFI sleds goes here are a few pointers. Get yourself either a flexible bit driver or a 90 Degree carb adjustment driver. Make sure your multimeter is calibrated correctly. Make sure battery is good. Leave the coolant lines attached. Dont bother fighting the cable adjusters until you have the bodies let go from the motor. You should be able to get enough slack on the throttle cable to flip the bodies over thus giving you easy access to the lock nuts.

Premium Features