For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Polaris: EDGE 2002-2005, all models in the Edge chassis

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2018, 12:41 PM
Currently: Not set.
BeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond repute
Default Offseason upgrade plans

All right, it's been a pretty good season, but there's no denying that it's starting to wind down. With that in mind, I'm thinking about getting a jump on a few upgrades so I can get them done over the summer. From now on I'm swearing off any upgrade projects or unnecessary sled work during the winter, no matter how small!

A quick rundown of the sled: '02 600 RMK 144 (track is a recent addition and lightly ported). Only engine work is Boysen reeds, Holzmann ATACC, and new NGK plugs and wires. Stock pipe and silencer – I actually tried a SLP can, even that was too loud, and from what I hear there's very little gain for the money with any exhaust "upgrades" on this 600. New (a couple seasons ago) primary clutch, rebuilt secondary. SLP Magnum Force weights, R-32 helix, springs are relatively new Polaris (bk/gn primary, sil/bl secondary). I switched the gearing around when I put the 144 in. Has RydeFX clicker shocks all around and SLP Powder Pro skis. Otherwise, I've gone through most of the normal wear items and added a few minor bits and pieces, including a 2" handlebar riser.

So, here are the definite upgrades planned:
Snow eliminators. Either WRP or Better Boards; I've seen good reports on both, but wondering if anyone's had issues with either holding up long-term.
New motor mounts – pretty straightforward.
Gear down further. Right now I've got 19/41, and that's perfect down around 4000' (it pulls hard and easily hits 80 on the speedo on a half-mile run down the road, even with a slight uphill), but I'm thinking a 43T lower gear will be more ideal above 8000. Thats another 5% (10% over stock, 19/39) plus it uses up a lot more of the chain. The current lower gear and chain (41T and 74P) are from the 800 I parted, and while it's an approved combination, it has a big dog-leg and takes up all but 3/16" of the tensioner.
LED taillight - not a big weight savings, but cheap enough.
Replace idler bearings, convert rear to two-wheel.
Replace original (far as I know) VES valves, bellows, and springs.

Some probable upgrades are:
Lightweight seat. Digging through old posts, it seems the WRP seat is the most popular, and it's also the cheapest option. Boss and Skinz are also options, but they're more expensive (both $500 vs $370). Any reports on those would be great.
Lightweight trailing arms. Fabcraft would be nice, but not sure if they're available or worth the expense new. Be nice to find a good used set... I also have half a thought to try my hand at fabricating my own.

Some that I've thought about but not sure they're worth the money and/or work:
TEAM secondary. A new TEAM Tied setup would be nice, but $500 or so for a new one would probably be better put in the new sled fund. I'm guessing a used one could be a good choice, but beyond making sure it's for a 1" keyed shaft, I don't know what to look for. I assume one from a VES 600 RMK would be a drop-in replacement though. I've got a good working secondary that I've rebuilt, so the performance characteristics are the only motive for upgrading.
Intake upgrades. I know a lot of people put the SLP intake bits on almost as a matter of course, but I'm not sure they'd make much difference on a 600.

Anyway, I'm happy to hear any input on all that. In particular, opinions on the seat, snow eliminators, and what (if anything) is worth the time and money on the secondary. I'm looking to keep the cash outlay minimal; $500 would be nice, and dropping more than $1000 into this sled doesn't make sense (and I know, some would suggest that number is closer to $100, but ). I'll definitely be riding it a couple more seasons unless I win the lottery – which is hard to do when you don't buy tickets – and probably keep it indefinitely as a spare/loaner. Finally, if you see anything here and think "I've got that and could part with it," let me know!

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 04-26-2018, 11:11 AM
Currently: Never enough snow!!!
BILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond repute

I would pass on the TIED secondary unless you can find a used one for a great deal.

2000 440 xc sp 136 (EDGE)
2003 800 RMK 162
2004 910 PRO-XR 121x1.75", Wheelie Machine!!!
2011 LRod 13.6 800 ProRMK 3"PC KMOD/Raptors kmod 37" arms Ti can

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to BILTIT For This Useful Post:
BeartoothBaron (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 11:49 AM
BeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILTIT View Post
I would pass on the TIED secondary unless you can find a used one for a great deal.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Unless I lucked out and picked the right helix and spring off the bat, it's easy to see spending hundreds more chasing clutching. Would you consider a TEAM secondary off a 600 if I can find it, or just stick with the button secondary (possibly with a helix swap)?

Old 04-26-2018, 11:52 AM
Currently: Never enough snow!!!
BILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond repute

Talk to "pockets" on hardcoresledder.com, he is the man with clutching. I dont think he is on snowest.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

2000 440 xc sp 136 (EDGE)
2003 800 RMK 162
2004 910 PRO-XR 121x1.75", Wheelie Machine!!!
2011 LRod 13.6 800 ProRMK 3"PC KMOD/Raptors kmod 37" arms Ti can

The Following User Says Thank You to BILTIT For This Useful Post:
BeartoothBaron (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 01:26 PM
Dazzler has a reputation beyond reputeDazzler has a reputation beyond reputeDazzler has a reputation beyond reputeDazzler has a reputation beyond reputeDazzler has a reputation beyond reputeDazzler has a reputation beyond reputeDazzler has a reputation beyond reputeDazzler has a reputation beyond reputeDazzler has a reputation beyond reputeDazzler has a reputation beyond reputeDazzler has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought on your better boards, does your 02, 600 have the perimeter cooling system? ( coolant plumbed down the outer side of running boards ) I know the 03 edge 800's all had it..

Last edited by Dazzler; 04-26-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
Just a thought on your better boards, does your 02, 600 have the perimeter cooling system? ( coolant plumbed down the outer side of running boards ) I know the 03 edge 800's all had it..
Yup, mine has the side-rail cooling (I think all the liquid-cooled EDGE RMKs have it, but can't say for sure). I always have to clean out a bunch of snow and ice if I ride in deep snow; at least the heat helps soften it up when it freezes to the runners.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 04-26-2018, 06:26 PM
whoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond repute

How about perc reverse. Which requires an 18 degree magneto, 04 oil pump, 04 CDI box, 04 wiring harness, 04 left side handlebar heater controls, and secondary clutch that works with reverse.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:09 PM
sno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond repute

the more you lighten the sled theres really no need for gearing lower. check yourself once in a while by putting bone stock gear/chain back in and try some big hills. peppy bottom end can fool ya.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:45 AM

I'll have to investigate the gearing further. I partly based my decision to gear down on the fact that the 700/144 uses the same gearing. Digging through the Polaris parts catalog, it appears the '03 600/144 also used the same gearing though. I haven't got it dialed in at altitude yet, so maybe that'll make a difference. On the other hand, I'm not too concerned about losing top end speed, just whatever's best for deep stuff and/or climbing hills.

PERC would be nice to have; if/when I add it depends on whether I can find the parts for cheap. Stinks that you need the headlight/heat switch cluster for that, I just replaced mine because the standard high-low beam switch failure.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:02 AM
Currently: getting the pro ready
the fix-it guy has a reputation beyond reputethe fix-it guy has a reputation beyond reputethe fix-it guy has a reputation beyond reputethe fix-it guy has a reputation beyond reputethe fix-it guy has a reputation beyond reputethe fix-it guy has a reputation beyond reputethe fix-it guy has a reputation beyond reputethe fix-it guy has a reputation beyond reputethe fix-it guy has a reputation beyond reputethe fix-it guy has a reputation beyond reputethe fix-it guy has a reputation beyond repute
Garage