• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alters....

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
As admin finds alters, can you just post the other user names sharing a single IP address? It seems like if admin would quit allowing people to hide behind an alter or another user name then a ton of the senseless bashing would not occur. I think a lot of the members would be surprised to know what some users are really like, especially if they are involved with a business that advertises on the forum.

S
Nov 13, 2008
Northern Utah
As admin finds alters, can you just post the other user names sharing a single IP address? It seems like if admin would quit allowing people to hide behind an alter or another user name then a ton of the senseless bashing would not occur. I think a lot of the members would be surprised to know what some users are really like, especially if they are involved with a business that advertises on the forum.

X2.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN

I 100% agree!!!!!

I think Christopher is ignoring me:confused:

I can't imagine why;)

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
Well I am a "computer guru" and yes it can be done assuming they log user IPs (most sites do).

The biggest problem with IPs is some people do not have the same one from day to day, also users from AOL, other ISP conglomerates, and dial up users all share in the same IP pool.

The time it would take to go through it all and remove them would be significant.

One BIG caveat to posting IPs: Any mildly internet savvy person can track you down to within a couple blocks of where you live. That could be good and bad depending on the user.

Last edited:

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
how bout an 'ignore' button? there's a grand idea.............................

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
how bout an 'ignore' button? there's a grand idea.............................

The ignore button works for a single user but still doesn't stop the overall disturbance that is caused by the creation of alters. Look at some of the turbo threads, there is a ton of bashing and false information that is posted by alters that an uneducated user is exposed to. I'll I'm asking for is accountability for what you post. If you can't use your real account that is recognized by other users then you are probably doing something wrong. It sucks that people can say something, then hide behind a fake screen name. If I start selling BigHoe's snowmobile parts and build a client base, should I be able to sign on as fordtrucklover69 and tell everyone that my competitors parts don't work and BigHoe is a snowmobile god? (that last parts true by the way!!)

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
Yeah. An ignore button would be cool.

Oh, wait... there already is an ignore button. So... I'm assuming your post was meant to be sarcastic. Right?

an actual button would be useful, then ...................oh i dare not go there, they may like the idea.
yea just a button on the post or in the pull down of a specific user would be nice:D

an actual button would be useful, then ...................oh i dare not go there, they may like the idea.
yea just a button on the post or in the pull down of a specific user would be nice:D
So, what you're talking about is making an existing function easier to use? I could see how that would be helpful. In fact, if I'm remembering things correctly, I may have said something like that in a post or two recently. But when I said it, I just made people mad.:face-icon-small-sad

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
So, what you're talking about is making an existing function easier to use? I could see how that would be helpful. In fact, if I'm remembering things correctly, I may have said something like that in a post or two recently. But when I said it, I just made people mad.:face-icon-small-sad

but really.............................not! i'd much rather have a WTF button, or a STFU button:D

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Maybe it's just not as big of deal or as common of an occurance as you think it is? Or maybe it would take a crazy amount of time and energy for these guys to track and it wouldn't be worth it.

RF

I don't think it's super common but there are about 3 or four out there that are a problem. It's not a big deal if people are creating alter to thanks themselves, just delete those but if an alter is bashing a business or attacking another user then there should be a consequence and the other users should know who's really behind it.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
this will not work in my case as kiliki and i (husband and wife) share the same IP
just as many others do.
maybe time to just start stirring the pot and make a "Known Alters thread":eek:
images

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
this will not work in my case as kiliki and i (husband and wife) share the same IP
just as many others do.
images

I thought about that but the two of you are not causing problems either. I have friends use my computer to check their accounts but they aren't doing anything wrong. Someone could have 20 alters and no one would care if they weren't trying to purposely ruin someones business. When bad and unethical business is involved it would be nice to know what businesses are involved so we can steer clear if we chose.

The known alter thread would just be another he said, she said S*** show. I'm sure it would be entertaining though. Maybe I'll create an alter and start one:rolleyes:

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
here.. this is what NEEDS to happen.. :D... catching alters is really not that hard... however.. building a new alter with new I.P.. is even easier.. so :rolleyes:

hahahaha.gif

BossRev

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Pleasant Grove, Utah
just as many others do.
images

I'll start.

Gimpster- Alter #1 Prarriedogfishing, Alter #2 GPS, Alter # 3 your-dime

And not one of them ever got maxed out.:D

Premium Features