Upgrade to Premium
Polaris: AXYS 2016 AXYS chassis

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2018, 09:18 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
mr.safety is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Clutch issue

I have a '16 pro s sb with 4200 miles. On my last ride this season my belt started slipping after getting stuck in 3' of snow. Primary was really hot. (Same issue with a new belt). Made it through the day but would slip whenever starting to move. Ran good as long as I was moving. Got home and took everything apart and installed new rollers, buttons and bushings. Nothing appeared to worn very bad except the plastic washers on each side of the rollers (melted from the excessive heat). Took the secondary apart and checked/cleaned and put it all back together with a new belt and it's still slipping. What else would cause this? Please help.

Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to mr.safety For This Useful Post:
mr.safety (05-01-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 10:01 PM
Currently: Loving my 850!
Basic Member
Motorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond repute

Is your track/chain binding at all? Possible residue on clutch faces/belt. If you can rule out worn clutch components then maybe alignment may be out of spec. Or center to center distance.. I hear an awful lot about motor mounts pre maturely failing, causing rpm issues.

The Following User Says Thank You to Motorbreath_ For This Useful Post:
mr.safety (05-01-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 10:20 PM
Currently: is it winter yet?
Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,362 Posts
Wheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute

The roller bushings being melted out can cause some dumb issues with the rollers binding. I know on the Mountain sleds I usually need those replaced every 4-500 miles. When they fail it starts to cause large rpm drops and really poor clutch performance.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:27 PM
Currently: Not set
retiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond repute

Agree on the residue on clutch sheaves. Take off clutches and wash the sheaves in really hot soapy water using a hard bristle brush to really work on the sheaves. Idea of hot water is to get the pores of the aluminum to open up so the residue washes out. Also scrub the sides of the new belt in hot soapy water as well. Rinse everything in clear water and let dry. It really does make a difference.

Haven't outgrown my 600 yet!

Old 05-01-2018, 08:41 AM
Currently: sourceinnovations.ca
Teth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond repute

Are your weights rubbing on the spider? We are seeing many wear out the bushings in the weights and the weights twist over and catch on the spider. If one or two are doing this near clutch engagement, you wont have sufficient pressure to close the clutch on the belt. I believe the AXYS is much worse for this over the ProRide as the AXYS motor hits much harder and it usually pulls heavier weights which cause more wear.

http://www.sourceinnovations.ca

We also have TKI Belt Drives, Arm Candy A-Arm Braces, Oil Tank Inserts, Reversible Scratchers, Polaris Suspension Couplers, Track Clips, Clutching and more.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:43 PM
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teth-Air View Post
Are your weights rubbing on the spider? We are seeing many wear out the bushings in the weights and the weights twist over and catch on the spider. If one or two are doing this near clutch engagement, you wont have sufficient pressure to close the clutch on the belt. I believe the AXYS is much worse for this over the ProRide as the AXYS motor hits much harder and it usually pulls heavier weights which cause more wear.
Thanks for reply, I will check again but there were no signs of rubbing or binding.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:52 PM
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbreath_ View Post
Is your track/chain binding at all? Possible residue on clutch faces/belt. If you can rule out worn clutch components then maybe alignment may be out of spec. Or center to center distance.. I hear an awful lot about motor mounts pre maturely failing, causing rpm issues.
Thanks for the advice, I will check the chain tension and track.