• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A Non paying members thread only

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
This thread is exclusivly for all the non paying members only to make suggestions about this site. Paying members telling us to leave if we do not like it will not be tolerated here and all posts by paying members will be reported to Admin and moderators and we hope they will be deleted and the posters will be dealt with harshly. We also hope that paying members will only be able to see the first 50 posts. I hope that there are some nonpaying moderators still left so this thread does not get out of hand. If there are not any mods that have not paid I will volunteer to be a non paying moderator for this thread only. Please feel free to post away with your suggestions.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
hmmmm.. I wasn't thinking of something witty to say and I couldn't come up with anything... I will check back in later I guess.

Dec 15, 2008
You have reached the limit of your Free Basic Member reading privileges. To continue reading this thread, please upgrade to Premium Member status.

honda1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
MN
greed is a questionable thing!!!

I asked when the first notice of a pay site came out
about those of us who already have mutiple year subsriptions
to snowest paper and mod stock paper mag but noooooo!
reply back there should be a credit or work with the people
who have already shelled out hard earned money for these
prior to this new stipulation the the publishers are sticking
in our snowest site :face-icon-small-fro

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
I don't know if this thread is supposed to be a joke, or serious. So, I'll take it seriously:

So far, my largest complaint with the switch-over has been how it was handled/executed.

I suspect we as a membership are not privy to all the details of the process. We are not HP, nor are we Christopher, so we don't know all the details of their employment/contract agreement, or the time-line of what happened and when.
Questions like:

When did HP decide to go to a pay site?
Who approached who? Christopher or HP?
Weather it's his fault or not, all of the undesired changes seem to coincide with Christopher's arrival. He could be just a hired gun to execute HPs agenda.
Did Christopher bring his own agenda? (this is not necessarily a bad thing)

I guess, to sum it up, did HP decide to go 'pay', and then go find someone who could help implement that, or, did Christopher come along, and approach HP with the idea that he could convert it over to pay? Or, did he come along, have all kinds of ideas to add 'features', and then found out the equipment couldn't handle all the new data? I don't know. I'm not going to speculate, that wouldn't be fair, and I believe in being fair.

Now, I've been against the 'going pay' of this forum since it was proposed. Mostly on the principle of how it was presented to us: New guy comes along, creates lots more 'features', then tells us we have to pay to upgrade the hardware 'cuz the old hardware won't keep up with all his new 'features'. In any group, there is always a vocal minority - each direction, and then the masses who just go along. In this case, it appears the -get this- majority of the vocal minority would rather just go back to what it was, and keep it free, under the concept, of "we didn't want it, so take it back, and don't charge us for it.". Many of us feel changes we didn't ask for or don't want have been forced upon the members of the forum. Sure, we can choose to 'hide' certain stuff, or just not use it, but it takes computer space and energy to have those features, even if they are turned off. Weather it's coming from Christopher, or simply through Christopher, we don't know, and I suspect we won't know.

I signed on this morning with the general resolve that I would likely be upgrading to a paid member. It's less than a half-rack per year, and I don't like being told I can't go someplace that I have already been going and liked. But, I tried five times to log on, and each time, the request timed out, as 'snowest server too busy'. Each time, I went to a different site to see if it was my connection or computer, and each time, instant access. FIVE TIMES! And they want me to pay for that?

I don't know what I will end up doing, but for now, I'm back in the no-pay camp, at least until they follow through on previous commitments that the new hardware would be able to return our access speed.

PE

C

concreteman

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 27, 2007
Just do what I did!!!!!! go find another site that is a free site like this site used to be.The funny part is how slow this site is now,unfortunately I can't tell you the name of this other site without the snowest mods blocking it but if you start looking you will find it all bye yourself. good luck and happy hunting.:face-icon-small-hap

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I signed on this morning with the general resolve that I would likely be upgrading to a paid member. It's less than a half-rack per year, and I don't like being told I can't go someplace that I have already been going and liked. But, I tried five times to log on, and each time, the request timed out, as 'snowest server too busy'. Each time, I went to a different site to see if it was my connection or computer, and each time, instant access. FIVE TIMES! And they want me to pay for that?

I don't know what I will end up doing, but for now, I'm back in the no-pay camp, at least until they follow through on previous commitments that the new hardware would be able to return our access speed.

PE

What the heck happened this morning.
At about 8:00am MST, our ISP (Syringa) experienced an outage. This service outages lasted 2 hours. During that time all of Harris Publishing lost their Fiber Optic Connection to the internet, and as far as we know, so did several other customers of Syringa.

This one was 100% out of our hands, and there was simply nothing we could do but sit here and twiddle our thumbs while we waited for them to correct their error.

Over that 2 hour period there were multiple times when the site came up, people logged in, and then it vanished again. Making a bad situation all the worse. For reasons we can not understand, members in Canada seemed to have more frequent access for longer periods of time than anyone else did.

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
I don't know if this thread is supposed to be a joke, or serious. So, I'll take it seriously:

It's mostly to poke fun at everything that is happening here, either way.

Now as for you Christopher. When am I going to be made a mod? Seems I have some harsh punishment that I need to hand out.

S
Aug 17, 2009
This should be a hugh thread! My estimates are that roughly 25% of users have paid and that leaves a lot of the 18000 or so active members (13500) free to post here!! lol :wine::face-icon-small-ton

J
Oct 12, 2002
Idaho, Meridian
So when this thread reaches 50 do we start another called A Non paying members thread only II.

I'm still up in the air on membership, If it weren't for the IQR section I don't think I'd even be on here and I've been on this forum for awhile. I think it would be a pretty good deal because it includes the magazine subscription, except the magazine sucks, sorry snowest you lost me along time ago with your magazine, you should combine the three (or whatever the number is) magazine's you have to make a good one.

For what I use the site for, the free membership is fine for me. I didn't see anything in the trial period that I have to have. I'm not pissed at S/W for doing what they did and I'm not going to jump ship, I'll still use this site even though I won't have bold blue letters and won't have full access.

Premium Features