• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trails West or Aluminum Trailer?

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
currently in the process of looking for an enclosed. about 80% sure I'm going to buy one. Really like the Trails West I'd go with a bumper pull and not the CB edition. Could add all the stereo and cabinets for a lot cheaper. Ive seen one for around 14k loaded though. but for the same price I could get an aluminum trailer not loaded. thoughts?

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
currently in the process of looking for an enclosed. about 80% sure I'm going to buy one. Really like the Trails West I'd go with a bumper pull and not the CB edition. Could add all the stereo and cabinets for a lot cheaper. Ive seen one for around 14k loaded though. but for the same price I could get an aluminum trailer not loaded. thoughts?

i just went through the same process over the past few weeks. was planning on getting a Mirage (between me personally and my employer we've had 8 of them with out issue) but after watching the video of how trails west are made (http://youtu.be/Ug5K8tNFKb0) i was sold on them. IMO the aluminum would be nice but its hard to justify the price, and trucks now-a-days have more than enough power that i dont feel the added 500ish(?) lbs is a concern. im sure you can custom order a Featherlite to fit my needs (car, rzr etc) but from what i saw they were more expensive for a base model with 3500 lb axles than the one i ordered from TW.

the main reason i would like to go aluminum is corrosion resistance. with that said after watching the process that TW uses for prep/primer/paint i dont think that will be a huge concern for us westerners. my dad built a 4 place enclosed out of steel in 1995-1996. between snowmobiling, moving people, hauling race cars, and materials i wouldnt be surprised if that thing has 100k miles on it. we have never pressure washed the undercarriage like others talk about and it is still road worthy. this year we will probably have to make a new front and rear door because of corrosion but given how much its been through that is not a bad deal IMO. the only reason im not using it this season it he wants it back so i had to grow up and get my own trailer lol

ended up talking to Matt at insteer trailers (MT) and he gave me a great price as well as what i needed for my current mirage enclosed car hauler. have a 28' BP white trailer on the way with a heater (not track melt), 5200lb axles, car package and (2) windows. i work at an HVAC company so i was planning on installing a unit myself but it was under 800 to get a heater installed and that included the tanks and a dual battery set-up so it seemed like a no-brainer. hoping that was a good call. IMO the CB edition is good for someone with out fabrication abilities, or someone that has more money than time. unfortunately cost is a factor for me so i plan on installing my own stereo, racing, etc. option for option it was with-in $500 of mirage and from what i can tell is sturdier.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
ps - i was hoping to get a 26' so it would fit behind my current gate but the trails west only comes in 28'. im sure i'll enjoy the additional space but i'm going to have to reconfigure my gates to fit it in the yard (have to keep the HOA happy)

pps - the trails west has a beaver-tail standard. from what i saw that is an option $$$$ on the other trailers i looked at. my car is pretty low so that was appealing to me.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
i just went through the same process over the past few weeks. was planning on getting a Mirage (between me personally and my employer we've had 8 of them with out issue) but after watching the video of how trails west are made (http://youtu.be/Ug5K8tNFKb0) i was sold on them. IMO the aluminum would be nice but its hard to justify the price, and trucks now-a-days have more than enough power that i dont feel the added 500ish(?) lbs is a concern. im sure you can custom order a Featherlite to fit my needs (car, rzr etc) but from what i saw they were more expensive for a base model with 3500 lb axles than the one i ordered from TW.

the main reason i would like to go aluminum is corrosion resistance. with that said after watching the process that TW uses for prep/primer/paint i dont think that will be a huge concern for us westerners. my dad built a 4 place enclosed out of steel in 1995-1996. between snowmobiling, moving people, hauling race cars, and materials i wouldnt be surprised if that thing has 100k miles on it. we have never pressure washed the undercarriage like others talk about and it is still road worthy. this year we will probably have to make a new front and rear door because of corrosion but given how much its been through that is not a bad deal IMO. the only reason im not using it this season it he wants it back so i had to grow up and get my own trailer lol

ended up talking to Matt at insteer trailers (MT) and he gave me a great price as well as what i needed for my current mirage enclosed car hauler. have a 28' BP white trailer on the way with a heater (not track melt), 5200lb axles, car package and (2) windows. i work at an HVAC company so i was planning on installing a unit myself but it was under 800 to get a heater installed and that included the tanks and a dual battery set-up so it seemed like a no-brainer. hoping that was a good call. IMO the CB edition is good for someone with out fabrication abilities, or someone that has more money than time. unfortunately cost is a factor for me so i plan on installing my own stereo, racing, etc. option for option it was with-in $500 of mirage and from what i can tell is sturdier.

THanks for that great response. Really appreciate it. I watched that video last night after I posted this and it sold me as well on a trails west. I still want to take a look at mirage as well. But leaning towards trails west. Not to mention they're built just 30 minutes away from where I live.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I sold my all aluminum trailer to buy a Trails West. I hope that the paint process is all that it is cracked up to be and I have a diesel, so the weight difference doesn't matter like it used to. I ordered mine with the car package also, so I can haul my jeep if I want to and nothing wrong with HD tires and axles for the rest of the time I tow. I ordered it with the Burandt package, I liked the idea of it all being done and having a factory appearance. I also got the 30 gallon fuel station and a couple extra windows. Can't wait until it gets here.

My buddy bought one also bought one, so I was actually able to see how it worked 3 weeks ago when we went out to test some turbo setups. I love the bench on the heater, that is my spot! The thermostat and timer for the furnace is very nice as well. The front door is great, you can pull the sled out w/o having to pull the *** end over to clear the opening. I love having the spring assist on the hinges of the doors and not having the cables to deal with anymore. The only thing I don't like so far is the step below the door. getting in is fine, but leaving, I'm going to have to learn to step out backwards. I can't jump out because of my knees.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
After reading on here over the years, I have come to believe that trailer brand popularity is a regional thing to some extent. And that makes sense as a trailer built in Elkhart has a $1000 price added to it before it ever hits the ground in Oregon for example.
That being said, I am from the midwest and I am confident that if you go Featherlight or Aluma you have a top of the line rig.
That may also be the case for TM or other western built trailers, I don't know.

For what it's worth, I rolled across the scale today w/ my 7x27 (22+5V) and it registered 2300# add a couple hundred for tongue weight & I know you won't find a better built 2500# 4 sled trailer.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I got a good look at the TW 28" trailers at the SnoWest Boise show. Really like the GN trailer. I can either buy the plate for my 5th mounts or buy an adapter and replace the GN receiver with a king pin. Now, just to save up the $$$ for one.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I looked at a mission trailer at the salt lake show. It was all aluminum and looked pretty nice. I liked how they did their rear ramp. The last foot tapered to nothing so you don't have that 2 inch square edge for carbides to catch. I wish trails west would do their ramp that way. They had superglides on it but your carbides are still going to trash the door before you get up on them. They are worth a look.

summitriders36

Premium Member
Aug 30, 2010
M8Chris - Here at Trails West we are doing a production run of RPM model snowmobile trailers that will last for the next 3 weeks. If you get a few spare minutes during working hours, make the drive north, I'd love to give you a tour of the factory. Just call before you come and ask for Jon. Our production hours are 6 to 4 Monday through Thursday. Hope to hear from you. If you can't make it to the factory at least "LIKE" us on Facebook.

MTNRCR

Lifetime Membership
I would get aluminum trailer. No matter what kind of paint/coating u use under a steel trailer they will rust long before aluminum corroids. Look at today vehicles they use form of galvanised steel and the rust through in no time. No matter what you get wash them underneath as much as possible.

J

jfox1995

Jan 12, 2008
After reading on here over the years, I have come to believe that trailer brand popularity is a regional thing to some extent. And that makes sense as a trailer built in Elkhart has a $1000 price added to it before it ever hits the ground in Oregon for example.
That being said, I am from the midwest and I am confident that if you go Featherlight or Aluma you have a top of the line rig.
That may also be the case for TM or other western built trailers, I don't know.

For what it's worth, I rolled across the scale today w/ my 7x27 (22+5V) and it registered 2300# add a couple hundred for tongue weight & I know you won't find a better built 2500# 4 sled trailer.

I thought about a 7 wide since I have heard nothing but great things about them. In the end I need a trailer that will do everything so I bought an enclosed steel car trailer that can haul 4 sleds. While I haven't run across the scale with my trailer, it is a 8x25 (20+5v) I was told mine weighs roughly 3100 lbs, so not too bad.

On another note I bought mine last year. Mine is a Storm, I think the model is lightning. I had never heard of them before, but I got a great price on it since it was used by the dealer at a couple shows and had footprints on the floor. So far it seems like a very well built trailer, and I have had no issues at all.

It went from MN out to WY and MT 3 times last year on salty roads and there are only a couple areas on the front that have some rust. I didn't have any mudflaps on my truck right away so everything was hitting the trailer. I also make it a point to go to the carwash and rinse off the trailer after each trip. It seems like they have a ****** with salt in MN so it can be hard to keep it clean in the winter...

Premium Features