• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Denali 6.2L gas or a 3/4ton diesel to pull my 25ft enclosed

The perfect snowmobiling,family,work truck is a 07 or older 2500hd chev or gmc equipped with the allison 5 or 6 speed(6spd in 06-7)5spd auto in years 01-05 and the 8.1 big block gas.You can find a nice under 40k mi,leather,sunroof,four door,xm for $20k+-.Lots of power,starts easy at -20.

8.1 gasser really sucks at mileage. Yes the power is very good but not worth it. I would pick Duramax over 8.1 gasser anytime at a blink of eye. My friend has it, is getting 7 mpg pulling trailer, 11-12 mpg empty... My 05' Duramax gets 12-15 mpg pulling trailer and over 20 empty, that is after I added Edge Juice with attitude and 06' turbo mouthpiece. I would not go back to ole' gasser days. Love the power and torque of Duramax to death!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah, go for the diesel, but not the DIRTYMAX, I have a 2006 Dodge 3500 Mega cab single wheel, with the Bully Dog Triple Dog programer, I can pull whatever I want and still maintain 18-20mpg and 75+ MPH uphill, running empty I have gotten as good as 30MPG, you won't do that with a gas or a DIRTYMAX

CUMMINS POWER

The moment of a truth is when a person call another person a liar. I dont buy your talk about great mileage. You are being extraggravted... I have few Dodge Cummins friends and none of them would achieve same kind of mileage as yours. Yes Cummins are great Diesel engines, no questions about that but they are getting about same or slightly better mileage as Duramax, nothing more......

R
Dec 3, 2007
It's not about having the power to pull a trailer like that, it's about having a heavy enough truck/suv to control it. Sure the 1500 Denali can pull it, but is it enough to slow it down and handle it.

I'm willing to bet that big of a trailer can throw that 1/2ton around on the highway like it's a ragdoll.

Last edited:
S
Nov 25, 2008
Spokane, Wa
I have a 5.9 cummins and yes it is a great motor but no one will ever get 30mpg. I have many up grades including the best programer for the 5.9 the smarty. The best milage i get is truely 16mpg pulling a good sized load. 18-20 isn't even belivable at 75 plus mph pulling a load. The duramax and powerstrokes are also just as good as motors. I have buddies with both and they are just as comprable.

C
Feb 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, OR
I have a 5.9 cummins and yes it is a great motor but no one will ever get 30mpg. I have many up grades including the best programer for the 5.9 the smarty. The best milage i get is truely 16mpg pulling a good sized load. 18-20 isn't even belivable at 75 plus mph pulling a load. The duramax and powerstrokes are also just as good as motors. I have buddies with both and they are just as comprable.

diesel is the only way to go especially pullin mountain roads....powerstrokes are **** and sound like they are dying lol... either duramax or cummins is the only way to go, and the chevy's are more money so i would go with the dodge it sounds better anyway throw a 5in. exhaust and chip in it you wont be disappointed

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
Yep the dodge sounds more like a diesel. Although I like that when I'm driving around other then the turbo occasionally its no louder then my gasser was in the cab. I spend enough time in diesel equipment all day long I don't need to hear the clatter when I'm driving my pickup.

B

big_wally81

Jan 22, 2008
duluth minnesota
i vote diesel all the way. i have a 2002 cummins 2500 ex cab and it tows just about anything that you can hook to it. in the summers i pull either a 26 ft car trailer to the race track with a light car, a four wheeler and all the tools an other misc stuff in it. guessing that it is right around a 10,000lb load or a little better and i get right about 14mpg. i have also pulled a 44ft trailer with two trucks in it. no idea how much it weighed but it was HEAVY. i think on that trip i got around 8 mpg but i pulled it just fine. you will definitely be more comfortable towing with a capable rig.

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
Truck

I have gotten a true 20 mpg out of my 01 stroke before. there was no wind and I was going 70 ish on I-90 from gillette to sheridan and back. almost exaclty 5 gals each way. Thats the best I have ever done. Do have a buddy that claims he gets 27 out of his dura but idk.

L

likinit2

Jul 4, 2004
S.W. Michigan
If you get a vehical, either way get at the very least a 3/4 ton. We have a
30ft enclosed trailer and put 5 or 6 sleds in it with lots of tools, gear and anything else that seems to end up in there that we might need. I pull it with my 08 Chevy 1 ton 6.0 gas crew and it does a good job and get 8-9 MPG. My partner also pulls it with his duramax crew dually and gets around 12 mpg and it does a great job pulling it. I just prefer the gas and he prefers the diesel. If I was pulling all the time with my truck I would get the deisel but I make alot of short trips as this is my first line vehical, he parks his and drives a GEO Tracker when he is not "using" his diesel so go figure. BTW I get 14.5-16 hwy and 12.5-14 local with my 08 1 ton gasser with 4:10 gears. You make the call!

08_3500.jpg

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
I have a Cummins, contemplated a Powerstroke or a Dmax, wound up finding a great deal on the 3/4 ton Dodge. I'm very happy with its mileage and power.

With the following mods, I was able to attain 20.8 MPG on a trip of 5,668 miles hand calculated running at speeds from 70-85 MPH.

285/70/17 tires
Edge EZ in 70 Hp setting
Magnaflow 4" turbo back

On my truck I will routinely pull 25-27 MPG if I slow down to 55-65 mph. I usually attain this mileage running up to the in-laws lake place as it is all single lane road with a 55 Mph speed limit. Better mileage is on the horizon as my converter and tranny are going to be replaced with more efficent units,the Edge EZ is going to be stacked with a smarty and I plan to upgrade the fuel supply, turbo off an 04+ and possibly an intake. I have also thought about electric fans as it would free up considerable HP and energy.

To those who say 30 mpg is unattainable, think again. Diesel Power did it for under a $100 in mods on a 12v cummins dually. They ran speeds up to 60 Mph, nothing over.

I bought my diesel as I was faced with similar issues as the orginal poster, what I had wasn't cutting it on longer trips pulling a load. I found a solution I can live with and it sounds like an F-250 isn't a horrible rig to have to pilot. :)

Premium Features