• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

clutching a '97 cummins

about every 2 years i seem to need a new clutch.the disk is still good,it just tears the center out.has anyone else had this problem?i have an a f e fresh air kit ,straight pipe,and t.s.t. torque plate in the pump.other than that it's stock.rated at somewhere around 650 ft. lbs. at the rear wheels.any good clutches out there that will hold up?in the winter i have a steel sled bed on, plus the sleds(heavy).in the summer i haul siding equipment and pull a trailer.

J

jmitchell

Apr 8, 2008
ogden utah
i did a southbend con ofe its awsome 13in conveson 550hp 1100ft lb rating . gives you room to grow. dont think you are done supping it up yet its too much fun spend the mony its worth 1200 bones

thanks for the push

i did a southbend con ofe its awsome 13in conveson 550hp 1100ft lb rating . gives you room to grow. dont think you are done supping it up yet its too much fun spend the mony its worth 1200 bones

that's exactly where i was headed.just needed to hear someone else suggest it.selling parts to save for the 13 inch upgrade.then on to the brake upgrade.any suggestions there? i've heard 1 ton gm brake cylinders work good?

M
Feb 6, 2008
Draper, UT
i have the con ofe and its a great clutch. no complaints from it except I wish I would've just gone with a dual disk for even more room to grow.. oh well. South Bend is awesome can't go wrong with them.

R
Jan 14, 2009
Chelan
Just installled a south bend 2 months ago no problems, get their upgraded slave/clutch assmy also worth it if your allready into it. 97 12v 5spd #10 plate dynomite injectors arp head studs w/ported head dyno twins

himarker

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2002
Prescott, Washington
Another vote here for the South Bend CON OFE, im running that clutch in my 98 24v, adn im making a fairly respectable amount of power. Never slipped it at all. I wouldnt try any boosted launches...lol. As far as finding one, check www.cumminsforum.com. or just get ahold of south bend.

himarker

B

Boondock

Oct 4, 2001
Colorado
www.snowest.com
Also running a SB OFE!

The FE is rough when engaging it. A first hear starter for sure. But it will hold more hp but with 650 tq the ofe will have zero problems.

R
Nov 29, 2007
Livingston, Montana
I have a 96 stock pickup that I replaced the original clutch in 2007 at 255,000 miles. This is a pick-up that my employees use. This past summer a new employee decided instead of turning around, he would back up a 5,000 lbs. trailer a half mile up a driveway........ Ya she slips a little now. It probably would have been cheaper to head shoot him and get the interior detailed. Good info on clutches, it's sad that I also need one.

Dec 9, 2007
MN
One more for the Southbend! I have the 3600 DD w/ hydos. I make 900lb-ft at the wheels and it rocks!! 4wd 3rd gear launches and no problems. Talk to Peter @ SBC, his customer service is second to none .02
-dru

J

jmitchell

Apr 8, 2008
ogden utah
that's exactly where i was headed.just needed to hear someone else suggest it.selling parts to save for the 13 inch upgrade.then on to the brake upgrade.any suggestions there? i've heard 1 ton gm brake cylinders work good?

the idea is to go fast . breaks just slow you down

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
I have a Con Fe in my 07'. It grabs like a motha. If you are not pulling really heavy or adding a ton of power, stay with a OFE. Backing up a heavy load with the FE is unfreakin redonkulous!

D
Jan 17, 2009
GF, MT
i dont know about the south bend but i used to rip the centers out of the clutch on my chevy every 13 months like clock work so no waranty and the frist clutch lasted 190,000 but evr since it just rips the center out i got a new clutch from clutch masters in billings mt they build clutches there that holdes up for 500 so if you cant aford south bend might check out clutch masters have a great day Dan

F
Jul 26, 2001
Burien, Wa
i dont know about the south bend but i used to rip the centers out of the clutch on my chevy every 13 months like clock work so no waranty and the frist clutch lasted 190,000 but evr since it just rips the center out i got a new clutch from clutch masters in billings mt they build clutches there that holdes up for 500 so if you cant aford south bend might check out clutch masters have a great day Dan

x2 for Clutch Masters all of mine have held up great!! If you have a problem they will take care of it.. There customer service is the best...

K
Dec 31, 2007
southbend is a good clutch i went with a valair and it is doing great, burnouts, drag racing, sled pulling and the od 3rd gear lanch. for a single disc it is holding up very well.
truck 420rwhp-940ftlb

thanks Dan.good info.got a number for clutch masters?i'll be getting me one.is $500 for a kit or just the disk?

Premium Features