• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rebuilding old enclosed worth it?

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
Bought a '95 Timberwolf (apparently no longer in business) trailer this summer. About 32' to the tip of the V. Steel frame and I think steel exterior panels with plywood lined inside. May be taking to the Bighorns in March which would be my first use of it. Hoping it will fit 6 long tracks. My question is this: looks like some of the exterior panels are starting to rust through from the inside. Would it be worth the effort of stripping it down to the frame, having the frame sand blasted and repainted and then finding aluminum panels for the exterior? Or am I better off just buying a new/newer all aluminum trailer of that size? Anybody have any experieince doing this?

xcr800man

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I would say it depends on what you are willing to spend, how nice you want the final product, and if you have the cash for a new trailer. A new all aluminum trailer will cost you at least 20G, depending on how nice you make it. If you pour a ton of cash into the steel one you already have, you will never get it back out of it. So if you redo your current ride, make sure you are happy with it and are going to keep it for a while.

You are probably better off making it road worthy and safe, and functional and towing it as is and saving up for a new or slightly used aluminum one.

Thats my .02

heinracing

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
mina sd
we'll how many panels do yo have to replace?

alum panels are about $80 a sheet depending on color and thickness

but if you build it to your specs maybe run speaker wire through the walls do some cabinets but it all cost $$

i know we get bored around these flat parts so we customize everything :D

E

evan3000

Dec 8, 2007
Red Deer Ab.
I replaced the panels on the V of my trailer due to a sled deck that wanted to peek inside my trailer. It was a lot of work to replace the two panels and to get them to look good. I have taken on projects before when the intention is to save a little cash but every time I do it I kick my self in the but and say why didn't I just buy a new one. Thats just my opinion!!

A
Dec 8, 2007
I say do the math. Whats the parts cost, how much can you sell the trailer for and how much time will it take . if you can sell the trailer for $3000 and parts are $3000 and its going to take 400 hrs of labor And you can buy a trailer for $7200 AND you can afford the $1200 if you said your labor was worth $3/hr buy a trailer.
If you have a kid and this would be a great project for the two of you then build the trailer . Best part is you can spread the cost out over any amount of time you want and you will have a trailer that fits your needs to a T

B
Dec 21, 2007
Kalispell, MT
replaced a couple panels and rebuilt the ramp doors on a friends 4 place last summer and it was a ton of work....problem is that when you start taking the thing apart you end up finding more and more stuff that needs attention. its doable and probly cheaper than buying new but that depends on how much work it actually needs. i would say make it safe and roadworthy but be prepared to fix more that what is obvious to the naked eye.

80arrow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2008
Grand Rapids MN
Is it rusting at the bottem? If it is you can get rolls of stainless sheetmetal around 12" tall and some edging strips from some trailer stores. Fasten it over the panels with the screws from the panels and adhesive. It doesn't fix the prob but it looks better. Then in the future you can reside it or just leave it. Hope this made sense;)

A
Dec 8, 2007
Is it rusting at the bottem? If it is you can get rolls of stainless sheetmetal around 12" tall and some edging strips from some trailer stores. Fasten it over the panels with the screws from the panels and adhesive. It doesn't fix the prob but it looks better. Then in the future you can reside it or just leave it. Hope this made sense;)

Good idea -how about some dimond plate along the bottom ?

Premium Features