• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thoughts on a 04 Dodge 2500 w/5.9 Diesel

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
Just curious on what you guys think of the 04 Dodge w/5.9 Diesel? It has 110K miles on it. Is there anything I should be afraid of or look for? What kind of mileage have you seen with these (hand calculated please). Any Input would be great. Thanks!

M
Jan 8, 2008
Uncle has an '05 QC Cummins with Auto; my tech friends say that the '04 and '05 Rams were the best they've ever made. Uncle gets 18-20 mpg in the summer under easy driving; great power and economy.

The '04 MY offered several variants of the Cummins, depending upon which part of the country they were initially sold. MY 2004.0 offered a 235/460 (CA, NY emmissions) and 305/555 H.O. (I believe no Cats as in MY 2003). The 305/555 was IMO the best combo of simplicity, power and economy ever built. The 235/460 used a 47RE tranny and the HO used a beefed up 48RE.

MY 2004.5 used initially a 325/600, then a 325/610 variant, both with Cats and met nationwide emmissions. This variant 5.9 was used through MY 2007 until being replaced by the 6.7L.

The things to look for are driveline and suspension components, particularly if its been used a plow truck. U-joints, steering box and linkages, front suspension joints etc tend to wear out. Uncle just had 4-5K worth of warranty work done on his, as the essentially rebuilt the front end of the truck; she's like new now. If your truck hasn't had this work done, it will likely need it done soon.

R

robertyoke

Dec 26, 2007
colorado
Just curious on what you guys think of the 04 Dodge w/5.9 Diesel? It has 110K miles on it. Is there anything I should be afraid of or look for? What kind of mileage have you seen with these (hand calculated please). Any Input would be great. Thanks!

is it a 04 or an 04.5? the emmisions changed in jan 1 04 so there are two '04' engines the pre jan 1 is the 305 hp and 555 tq and the after jan 1 325 hp and 600 tq. is will be located on the valve cover data sticker. the 305 hp motors do just a little better on fuel because of the lack of 3rd injection event but it's a small amount of diffrence. the 325 hp motors make more power and have a little more flow with the stock turbo for an uprate. the impeller is larger and has more fins and will flow more air even though they both have a holset hy9 turbo.
also is it an auto or hand shaker?
and 4.10 or standard 3.73 gears
and should not have to guess but will assume 4wd

as far as mpg's go my 03 gets 19 unloaded at freeway speed (80 ~ 85) but much better at 55 to 65 like in the low to mid 20's but i dont drive that slow.
its an auto & 3.73 gear. in town is more in the low teens but i drive it like i stole it and its all hopped up...twin turbo's ect.

my 04 4x4 drw flat bed handshaker also 3.73 and also a 305 hp motor has stock turbo exhaust intake... stock. will get 17 combined mpg but it is actually worse on the freeway than the 03, because of the lower overdrive gear and extra tires maybe wind drag on the flat bed?? idk but is less happy at 80 mph then the 03 truck.

some guys have reported dropped valve seats on the 305 motors (read that as $$$) but its also the guys that buy a 200 hp tuner and has the stock turbo and tows a big trailer and never looks at the egt's. if the stock turbo is golden in color (and even brown) and not more grey in color is been hot and may have had a fuel box on it with some high egts. the 48re auto's are strong but add fuel to the motor and they will need help....all the big 3 auto's do. but with over 100k and if the original owner did no service to it and added fuel it may need lots of help....key here is did the truck have a fuel box added?

here is the best place to go for dodge/cummins info http://www.turbodieselregister.com/

M
Dec 10, 2007
If the lift pump wasn't changed from the frame rail to the fuel tank, that could be of concern. Mine went out about that mileage. Front-ends are also sloppy at the best of times and the steering box was replaced on mine as well as all front-end components atleast twice. If it had a tuner and was used for hauling with the auto tranny, you will notice slippage in second.
Goodluck

J
Dec 8, 2007
North Powder, OR
I heard lift pumps where the only issues also, my buddy drive's an 04 dodge with the 460lb/ft torque motor and gets awesome milage!!! Way better then my 05 Duramax. The duramax will outpull it but I would trade motors with him in a heart beat if i could manage 22-23mpg on the damn highway!! He loves that truck, and I like it too. Don't think you would regret buying that truck at all, 110k isn't much for a cummins. They only thing about that truck he doesn't really care for is the four speed auto. Says it needs another gear pretty bad.

Good luck!

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
I know its a Automatic Tranny and has 3.73 gears. Don't know if its a 04 or a 04.5. will have to look into it more. Thanks for all the input guys.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I had a 2004.5 and got it new, put 125000 km on it and loved it. Now I have a 2008 GMC. Both are Diesel top of the line. I will go back to Dodge for my next truck.

Bottom line is the GMC makes me feel old. Turning radius, braking and sporty looks are no where near the Dodge.

S
Jan 29, 2009
Afton Wy.
Don't worry about the lift pump, they put them in the fuel tank on the 04 models, the steering was changed and upgraded on the 04's as well.

I have an 06 with the Bully Dog Triple Dog Programer I pull upper teens to 20 MPG loaded, and upper 20's to 30 MPG empty, mine is an auto have not had one problem with it, unlike all those DIRTYMAX's

CUMMINS POWER

X
Oct 26, 2008
Don't worry about the lift pump, they put them in the fuel tank on the 04 models, the steering was changed and upgraded on the 04's as well.

I have an 06 with the Bully Dog Triple Dog Programer I pull upper teens to 20 MPG loaded, and upper 20's to 30 MPG empty, mine is an auto have not had one problem with it, unlike all those DIRTYMAX's

CUMMINS POWER

stop reading your digitally displayed mpg.... you do not get 20 mpg loaded an upper 20 to 30 unloaded..... not happening

B

big_wally81

Jan 22, 2008
duluth minnesota
stop reading your digitally displayed mpg.... you do not get 20 mpg loaded an upper 20 to 30 unloaded..... not happening

i agree. i have a 2002 and i realize they are different engines but mine gets 12-14 towing and i have gotten 23 on the highway taking it really easy. all hand calculated. that being said i love my truck wouldn't trade the cummins for ant other diesel. my buddies have the duramax's and powerstrokes and i like the cummins way more.

just my 2 cents

btw, if you want to check if the lift pump functions you can just bump the starter over without starting it. the pump sound run for 20-30 seconds

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Love my 03 HO/48RE!

Great truck so far

Had an 01 6 speed and really like 03 a lot better

Mileage will vary. I drive pretty easy but have 35" Toyo MTs with a 3" lift. Smarty JR programmer, air intake and Goerend Valve body.

Have seen a high of 24 MPG(hand calculated 65 MPH driving easy) and a low of around 15 MPG (towing two place).

Been getting 15-17 MPG towing a two place, which I can't complain about as I couldn't get hardly get better then 14 MPG in a 04 5.3 GMC empty.

Was averaging around 18 MPG in the summer around town.

Highway has been in the 18-21 MPG range depending on terrain, wind and speed.

Mileage is very similar to my 01

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
Thanks for all the input guys. Just one more thing though. There's no way it could get 20 pulling and high 20s unloaded. I Think i'm going to stay to the same truck I own now. THanks again.

Premium Features