• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'12 XP or '13 XM dilemma

A

AlpineSMB

Oct 15, 2008
OK, so I have a '13 Summit X 163 snowchecked. OTD w/ the warranty option and one or two extras it came to just under 13k. I am starting to question the affordability and expense (trying to besomewhat responsible here). the dealer has no issue if I want to bail and pick up something a bit more affordable from them.
They recently took in a '12 163 X with only 350miles on it and it has a HPS can and skid plate already added (these were the 2 extras I added on paper to the XM). The orig owner trades his sleds in each yr for the new version, in this case a XM

Even if I were to bump the warranty on the '12 an extra 2 yrs I'd be coming in under the XM by almost 2k. With the newer sleds do I need all the extra extended warranty - seems like the Etec's have been pretty solid in comparison to the sleds of the past

Do I save 2k and let the 1st yr bugs of TMotion and the flex track work themselves out and snowcheck a '14??

I am coming off a 05 Rev 159 if that matters, so even the '12 is going to be a huge upgrade in the handling dept. Thanks for your honest feedback - this newbie appreciates it

P

pfi572

Nov 29, 2009
North West Alberta
First , have you ridden a 2013 to have a good feel for them. If you have i think it should be easy for you to decided if the extra $ is worth it.
If you haven't and like the 2012 i would go with the that for a year or so to see what happens with all the new.
It costs alot to stay with all the new marketing every year.
Pending on your riding and area for the 2 g you could install a 3 inch track.
I am a bad one to ask though as i used to buy new every year and now i am the one buying low mile one year old sleds .
Don't need the first year problems anymore.
Good luck with your choice.:face-icon-small-win

A

AlpineSMB

Oct 15, 2008
I havent ridden either... with the lackluster snow year in UT last winter I was done riding when the Demos came to town. And I havent ridden the latest XP's either

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
i'd do the 12. the main new thing on the xm is the tmotion and you can add that for $300. also i'd wait and see how it works out after some other peeps put on some hard miles. also the price of brand new currents is just getting way outta hand. the oem's are gonna price most peeps out of this sport the way they are going. do think doo has a great thing going with the sport. the depreciation on a current is also a killer.

the rep of the etec motor, oil and gas usage was one of the major deciding factors on me buy a new 12.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
My dealer had both up at the mtn last year so I rode both back to back. The XM's suspension soaked up the bumps better. However, off trail we both had more fun on the '12 XP which I attribute to more ski lift (which worked better that day in those conditions). I spent several years on my '07 REV Summit (which I still own) so my background is the same as yours. For me this one is a no brainer - '12 for sure. And, I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but the XM has a long way to go to catch up to the handling of a Pro (which I also own) and I'm a BRP guy at heart. Dealer had the same thoughts and sells both brands so... take it for what it's worth.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I work with ski-doo just so you know and I had the privilage of riding a 13 xm since february 2012. Once I did I never touched my 12 x package or freeride again. There is over 50 differences to the new xm and above all it is 4 times easier to do everything on, your right coming from a rev to the e-tech and a 2012 will be a great upgrade. I know this may sound like I am speaking the koolaid but trust me you will see when guys pick up there xm and ride them for more than a demo ride you will see the pumptitude on these machines.

The xm is a the answer to the polaris but with a way better engine. I put on 3000km (2200 miles) last season on that xm and so did treadway on his xm, zero issues, there is much more than just the flex edge track. The hardest question to answer is how much difference will just adding t-motion or the flex edge track to and older summit as no one has ridden with just the track or just t-motion....I am not swaying you either way as this decision can only be made by the person in charge of their cash....all I would do to a 2013, is add scratchers and a skid plate and pull and go have fun...

Dec 3, 2007
Boston, Mass.
I work with ski-doo just so you know and I had the privilage of riding a 13 xm since february 2012. Once I did I never touched my 12 x package or freeride again. There is over 50 differences to the new xm and above all it is 4 times easier to do everything on, your right coming from a rev to the e-tech and a 2012 will be a great upgrade. I know this may sound like I am speaking the koolaid but trust me you will see when guys pick up there xm and ride them for more than a demo ride you will see the pumptitude on these machines.

The xm is a the answer to the polaris but with a way better engine. I put on 3000km (2200 miles) last season on that xm and so did treadway on his xm, zero issues, there is much more than just the flex edge track. The hardest question to answer is how much difference will just adding t-motion or the flex edge track to and older summit as no one has ridden with just the track or just t-motion....I am not swaying you either way as this decision can only be made by the person in charge of their cash....all I would do to a 2013, is add scratchers and a skid plate and pull and go have fun...

well said Dave :thumb:

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
For the 2g difference I would buy the xm. The T-motion is not new, it was tested for a season by guys that ride a lot more and a lot harder than you do so I don't see any growing pains coming from it. The xm will hold it's value better since now the xp is a model generation old. The 12 is a big upgrade from the rev but if you want an xp you can find 11's and 12's for under 10. Also with the xm you will be a lot farther ahead to trade it in next year on a 14 if you wanted to.

B

Bott Yamaha

Jan 5, 2012

X2, I could not agree more, However even a 12 Etec will be a good upgrade but if a guy can swing it then go for the 13.

Jblaze74

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2011
Reno/North Tahoe
in a simmilar delema right now, looking for a 163 xm but cause of the lack of snow last year most dealers in the area did not order any 163's. some have the '12 163 xp but no xm's coming. in a tough spot.....

J

jasonrev

Jan 28, 2008
Burns Lake B.C.
I am in the same predicament I could probably save about $3g going with a used 12x in opposed to a new sp. I know a guy that checked a 13 that doesn't want the flex edge so I could end up with that for not too bad of price and I could add the t motion for 3-400. They both will have 2 years warranty, so that's a wash. I would just hope the upgrades I would put on the 12 will put it close to par on the 13. Thoughts anyone?

T
Sep 20, 2008
Simple -

Current Year Sled = Thousand of $$ lost
Previous Year Sled = Ride for the cost of Gas and Oil

This year is a perfect example.

Buy a 2012 P-TEK 800 154 for $7500 to 8300 OTD and put the extras on it you want. Next year you will most likely be able to sell that same sled for $7500 to $8000 unless you are putting a ton of miles on it and beat the sled to death.
This allows you to always ride a new sled under warranty and helps keep the cost down.
I don't have an endless supply of money so I don't mind riding a sled that's a year old with FULL Warranty and not losing THOUSANDS of $$ just to have a current year sled. :jaw:

S
Dec 2, 2007
Cottonwood
My sentiments are the same.

I went out and bought two 12' xp's for $15k OTD.
I am going to put on the new flex track (which may be an option to swap out the track with the MFG, looking into it), new, I can get the 2.5" flex track for $650 shipped. put in my helix/spring/ramp clutch combo, nitrous and off I go. Considering a good friend just sold his 11' SP for $8k with 700 miles on it and bone stock, I think I did alright!

Simple -

Current Year Sled = Thousand of $$ lost
Previous Year Sled = Ride for the cost of Gas and Oil

This year is a perfect example.

Buy a 2012 P-TEK 800 154 for $7500 to 8300 OTD and put the extras on it you want. Next year you will most likely be able to sell that same sled for $7500 to $8000 unless you are putting a ton of miles on it and beat the sled to death.
This allows you to always ride a new sled under warranty and helps keep the cost down.
I don't have an endless supply of money so I don't mind riding a sled that's a year old with FULL Warranty and not losing THOUSANDS of $$ just to have a current year sled. :jaw:

T
Sep 20, 2008
2012 XP was just a smoking deal IMO..

SWEETX -

LOL - I did the same thing. Called the dealer first thing this morning and asked if they had any more. He said I have 1 Electric Start and 1 without electric start.

So (2) 2012 XP's 154" with the P-TEK 800 for $15k ish OTD. What a deal..

It cost me 15% more to own (2) new sleds vs. (1) new 2013 with the latest technology. Not really a hard decision for me! :face-icon-small-ton

Not to say I won't be envious of those new 2013 owners!! I'm sure they will be riding with a huge grin..

I went out and bought two 12' xp's for $15k OTD.
I am going to put on the new flex track (which may be an option to swap out the track with the MFG, looking into it), new, I can get the 2.5" flex track for $650 shipped. put in my helix/spring/ramp clutch combo, nitrous and off I go. Considering a good friend just sold his 11' SP for $8k with 700 miles on it and bone stock, I think I did alright!

Last edited:
Premium Features