• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'08 or '09 XP? Can't decide.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
I've got my sled sold('03 Pro-X 800 144"), and I'm itching bad to get a new(to me) sled so I can get ready for winter.

Currently I'm looking at these two sleds:

2008 XP 800 154" Everest, 1400 miles, all updates done, warranty until end of 2010, great shape, stock except precision can and minor clutch work.

or

2009 XP 800 154" X package, leftover, 0 miles, $8895 with a gas caddy. Not sure if that price is out the door or not, need to get more details.

Honestly I really wasn't looking forward to spending that much money. Didn't want to spend anymore than $8000 but these XP's seem like they're really holding their value, for good reason. :face-icon-small-hap

I'm really starting to think the used '08 may be the way to go, for the money I'm saving I can do some slight upgrades and make the sled my own.

So what all separates the '08 models from the '09 models?

Track is the same, correct?
What all needs to be done to bring the clutching up to snuff? Something about a bushing in the primary I think? Is that all that's different besides the clutch components(ramps, springs, helix)?
Chassis/durability differences? I heard some of the '08 models had bad alignment from the factory and it couldn't be corrected without moving the motor. Is there truth to that?
Any engine differences(I know a few '08 models burned down, seemed to be pretty minimal though)?

Basically in a nutshell I want to make sure if I buy an '08 that I'm not gonna be wishing I bought an '09, two guys I ride with have '09 X package 800 154" models.

Any opinions?

Like I said it'd be nice to spend a little less and customize the sled how I want it, that's the main motivation here.

I'm sure I'll have more to add later.

Thanks,

Joel

Last edited:
S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Glad to see I'm not the only Polaris guy thinking of defecting to Doo :D
I think I'd go for the 09, unless the clutching on the 08 is setup how you need it already.

I'm going to buy a Rooster Built clutch setup no matter what year I buy so no difference there.

I'm not thinking of leaving Poo and riding Doo, I am leaving Poo for Doo, that's already decided. I wouldn't even consider being their guinea pig for their 3rd top end/CFI calibration setup in 3 years. Plus I think the XP is superior. I ride what I think is best, no brand loyalty. :beer;

Let's not turn this into a bashing thread though please.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
I'm going to buy a Rooster Built clutch setup no matter what year I buy so no difference there.

I'm not thinking of leaving Poo and riding Doo, I am leaving Poo for Doo, that's already decided. I wouldn't even consider being their guinea pig for their 3rd top end/CFI calibration setup in 3 years. Plus I think the XP is superior. I ride what I think is best, no brand loyalty. :beer;

Let's not turn this into a bashing thread though please.
No bashing intended... I'm strongly considering selling my Escape and doing the same thing you are!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
'08, '09, pretty much the same sled after the updates....I went with a fair deal on a clean '08 and spent the extra $$ on SHR 860. IMO they were closer with the clutching in '08 if it weren't for the bad bushing material.
They had their head up someting when they went with the reverse helix on a mountain sled....but it sure rips on the trail! :rolleyes:

I

ice man

Jan 26, 2008
oliver bc canada
08 xp or 09

jumped ship from polaris,(last 2 sleds)bought an 08 xp $7000 with 1000 km. vent kit,dj clutch kit,can,lefty still in my budget,should beat stock 09.lots of xp"s up here for sale:beer;:beer;

A
Last year I had a similar decision to make, opted for the 09X, mainly due to the unknowns on the 08 motors, didn't want to deal with updates, and liked the lighter 09X specs. No complaints, awesome sled. Get some vents and Rooster Built clutching.

L

lucky13

Nov 26, 2007
northern utah
last year i bought an everest 146 800 then in the summer i traded my 08 154 x in on an 09 146 x, the everest is the funnest sled i have ever owned, and would not trade the 146 track lenght for any stock sled on earth. cant wait to ride the x, to me the 09 s have no headaches

C
I can get a '09 800 Everest 154" for about $500 less but the X package seems to be worth the extra cash?

Opinions?

How big are ya?

I did my math like this...New 09' Everest Vs' New 09' X. $500-Ish price difference.

I'm 235. I figgered I would almost hafta get the X shocks revalved for my weight or simply buy a set of aftermarket somethings and the prices I was quoted were on the high side!

The braided brake line and fancied up console werent an issue for me. The resale alos wasnt a driving issue as I figger to wear it out anyway....

I found a guy out in Minnesota who for $800 sold me four new Fox Zero Pro shocks valved for my weight, machine and riding conditions.

I choose the Everest and the Zero Pro setup over the X with the skidoo HPG's.

The dealer out in Provo Utah selling new 09' Summit Everest 154"s for $7995.00 plus a $150 Doc fee. Thats a screaming deal on a new sled with 150HP and a warranty!

The $8895.00 on an X is pretty derned fair as well tho....

I spent a few hundred more and bought locally. Like to support my local guys I suppose.

S
Nov 27, 2007
The Northwest
08 xp

Go for the 08 and do some mods. I have an 08 Everest that I put X package gauges on, Evol R shocks up front, Floats in rear, Holz vents and gas rack, HPS can an no real clutch work, just the one done by the dealer when all the updates were done. No blown belts either. By the way mine only has 1053 miles on it.

C
I'm only 165 pounds without gear.

Were those Fox Zero Pro's used? That's a very good price isn't it?

Bb8lhQBmkKGrHqQOKioEq43HB5kdBKyUzes.jpg

The guy buys take offs from sleds like the Artic cats and puts all the Skidoo sized hardware stuff on em' then valves them for your weight and sled. I happened on this set he had on E-Bay that were new take offs.

I'll PM you his number if you end up on a Base Everest and want some shocks.

Lemme know.

Last edited:
T

tollen77

Feb 19, 2008
I have an '08 Summit that blew the engine. The dealer told me the reason it blew was that in the '08 800R the center bearing is not sealed. The more miles you put on it, the more isoflex grease is forced out of the non-sealed center bearing. Eventually the center bearing is dry and gives out. My bearing broke and then pieces were spit throughout the crank case and cylinders... one dead engine.

My new engine is an updated '08 block with a sealed center bearing. The dealer called it an '08 and a half.

Something to keep in mind as I doubt most '08's would have the updated block where as all '09's do.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Can anybody confirm that?

If that's true I won't be buying an '08 unless it has a new motor. I have to go 600 miles to ride the mountains, I can't afford to not be riding when I'm there. Even if I did buy an '08 with a new motor, how would I know if it had the '09 style setup?

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Tsskkk, tsk. JK. As long as you get a newer sled Joel, the tank had to go.

BC-XP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Kamloops
I think the only big differnence between the 08 & 09 was the 09's had a completely different clutch calibration (primary & secondary) that is supposed to eliminate the random overreving problem. Plus new bushing and spring cap materials, etc.

My 08 will hold 8100 on one hill but then sometimes hit the rev limiter on the next hill thats a few hundred feet lower in elevation. Sometimes its fine on trail then with same snow condition will hit rev limiter. The 09 "calibration" was supposed to fix that.

This doesn't happen all the time but is a little frustrating when it does.

Other then that little issue, its the best sled I have owned so far.

Just my 2 cents.

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
Remember the 09' has the better engine mounts. But a good deal on an 08 with updates may not be a bad way to go

Premium Features