• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

best zx mods

P
Mar 2, 2008
vail, co
what are the best mods for the buck:
I have a 01 zx skidoo mod that i will be riding this year and i am looking for the best bang for the buck to make it rip even more. the sled has a 800 mxzx non ho engine that is being rebuilt w/ new top and bottom and spi pistons. it has a quiet q can, powder pro's, 151 track, 04 rev rear suspension, boss seat.
any sugestions would help
what size riser / best bars, i'm 5'11"
any rider forward mod
loooking for most reliable hp
cheapest way to loose weight
thanks in advance

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
Getting rid of the single ring pistons first. A six inch rise of the handle bars is all I could get on my 02 with out extending cables. Big John sent me a clutch kit for around a 100 frog skins. Doos 151 track isnt very good, a 16 inch 151 is what most folks upgrade to. The stock hood is heavy. Shop around in the swampmeet section for a mountain fit hood. The list goes on and on...Dino

Don't set up the skid back in the stock holes, do a skid set-back for better attack angle. Also, I ended up doing a tunnel, I just fab'd one up, but its was mostly just for wider runningboards, had a hard time on those narrow tappered stock setup. Since its a MXZ, I'd probably do a narrow front suspension, check e-bay for summit control arms, get them pretty cheap. While the track is out, do anti-racheting drivers, they're cheap, and get more hp to the snow by running a looser track. Ski's help a ton for the pow, have had excellent luck with just stock rev Pilot 6.9's. A can will shave weight, but probably won't gain much for hp. Pipes didn't see a lot out of those motors either, maybe ceramic coat the stock setup. Check reed boots for tears. A BOSS seat would be the deal, or you can have someone add a layer of foam to the stock seat and make a cover for it like I did, looks ok but works awesome. My 01' I got a 8" riser on without cable extensions, but you could probably be fine with a 6"(I'm 6'3 and 8" is perfect). The throttle is a little tight but placement does help, the brake was close until I saw where it is routed out of the caliper, just loosen the bolt up and rotate the banjo bolt up. I did move my hi/low beam down on the left side of the dash because I kept jamming my thumb. A stiffer mountain bar does help also, cut the swaybar out also. Drop your mxz gears also, get it lower, probably around 19/45, then do some clutchwork. Hope this helps, learned alot doing mine last year! And yes, it is worth it!

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
single best bang for buck on that year zx...as its been said.

SET BACK

then.. drop wt on the hood, as its been said.
the 151x16x2.3 (2.25) would be a great track.
i ran a 156x15x2 and loved that track in the pow.

obviously clutch/gear

get the bars where you feel comfy with them.

then ride...

Do a setback for sure...this is probably the most imporant thing. :)

oh, and i never had good luck w/ the coupled rear suspension, it didn't xfer weight well and its heavy.
i put a summit skid in, pulled the wheels, and it was actually very light.
and it xfered weight much better...and consistantely.

A

AkHockey10

Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage, Ak
Im 6'0"-ish and I have an 8" on my 02. Ill be going down to a 6" if I keep the sled. Whatever's comfortable for you.

You can do some free weight loss by removing your headlight and adding PIAAs, remove your speed-o, stabilizer bars, hood foam, windshield, etc, etc..

On the bars, like what Motley said about the hi/lo beam bottom. I kept braking mine off and the same with the hand / thumb warmers!! :mad: So, relocated the beam bottom by the thumb/hand warmers which are on the dash to the side of where the stearing post comes out and replaced the toggle switches with those push bottoms. Works great!!

Last edited:

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
1. lose the hood
2. throw the suitcase (stock silencer) in the river
3. gear down
4. I've got the 159 track on the 03 ZX highmark extreme and the Team secondary with straight 38 or 40 and nice stiff spring has been great.
5. check plugs/psiton wash first but jet down 1 or 2 sizes on main
6. check plugs/piston wash first but drop needle one position
7. SLP flowrites in the dash
8. handlebar raiser
9. lefty throttle
10. place clam shell in the river next to the suitcase and cearamic coat pipe and Y pipe.
11. Boss ZX lightwieght seat
12. place stock pistons in the river next to suitcase and clam shell.

Great sled!!!

Premium Features