• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

D7 losing rpm

Im looking for input. My 08 D7 is dropping from 8500 down to 7250 or 7300 rpm in a long step climb. It holds good rpm in the powder and going down the trail. Had both clutchs rebuilt 200 miles ago.

Is the secondry not tight enough?

Any input would be great.

C

closed

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 15, 2008
Lake Stevens Wa.
Im looking for input. My 08 D7 is dropping from 8500 down to 7250 or 7300 rpm in a long step climb. It holds good rpm in the powder and going down the trail. Had both clutchs rebuilt 200 miles ago.

I am having the exact same problem! It seems that my issue may be due to the outside temperature?? Ran flawless this morning at 40 degrees but when the day heated up to almost 60, I could not get more than 7400rpm... This afternoon down in the cold canyons it was back up to 8350???

Had this same issue last spring! That extra 1000 R's sure makes a difference:p

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage

Do you have delrin washers on the secondary? sounds like it is binding up and not backshifting...

B
Nov 30, 2007
We were down in Mcall this last weekend and we had 2 sleds have the same problem 08 D8 and a D7. Both sleds pulled 7850 on a average pull. I have almost 1000 miles on my D7 stock cluthing but geared it down to 19 tooth top gear. Do you think the springs could be sacked? Input would be great thanks guys.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
We were down in Mcall this last weekend and we had 2 sleds have the same problem 08 D8 and a D7. Both sleds pulled 7850 on a average pull. I have almost 1000 miles on my D7 stock cluthing but geared it down to 19 tooth top gear. Do you think the springs could be sacked? Input would be great thanks guys.

there is a good chance they are sacked..I replace mine every season(at the start) and during season if I drop rpm's for an unexplainable reason...I also try to pull and clean my clutches every 300-500 miles and inspect for any wear...

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
my rmk was doing the same, the detonation sensor was limiting it to 7300 and it was making a sputtering sound, it was a mix of bad fuel and my fuel filter needed replacing

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Stock 700 should be 8200. Check your bushings on the weights. That was the first to go for me. After I replaced those, my sled went back up from 7800 max. Not a good sled to loose your high RPM's. You need to wrap it out to get the power anyway.

R

RMKrider700

Dec 9, 2007
RMK RPM issues

My sled was doing this 2 weeks ago on a long hard pull. Asked a few questions on here. Determined it was springs and delrin washers that were needed. Put both springs in new and two delrins in the secondary. Cleaned everything up and ran like a champ all day sunday. It looks like I got it fixed. 950 miles and 1.5 years old when problem came up.

went and rode the snowy range this weekend. Had sled in polaris shop. Got it back rode it hard all day. It was only dropping about 3-400 RPMs. But it now has a bog around 6300. And would only turn around 7900. Crazy sled is killing me.

Any help would be great. Think about going back to a yamaha. If i cant get this to run like it should. Love how the sled rides and flys. Just not the way it runs some times.

J

joe julkowski

Nov 11, 2008
Cook MN.
I had that problem but i no longer have the sled I did the spring and the washers and cut in vents. Then I measured the bottom side of the belt it measured 3/16 smaller than a new belt I dont Know if that will help but that what I found on mine.

markoo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Southern Alberta
team clutch

I have found that team clutches don't backshift when they get warm. On a real long climb my rpm's would drop. I finally put in 3 delrin washers, one in the cup and 2 under the cup. This helped alot but still not perfect. Then I tried a little bit of synthetic grease on the washers and for the first time my rpm's stayed up all day long. I know the grease thing is not a good idea because it gets gummed up and dirty but it worked real well. I just took it apart and cleaned it more often.

M
Dec 9, 2008
Utah
sAME PROBLEM!

I am having the exact same problem! It seems that my issue may be due to the outside temperature?? Ran flawless this morning at 40 degrees but when the day heated up to almost 60, I could not get more than 7400rpm... This afternoon down in the cold canyons it was back up to 8350???

Had this same issue last spring! That extra 1000 R's sure makes a difference:p

My d7 also seems to loose rpms when it warms up outside. Just orderd clutch side vents I will let u know if it works.

Premium Features