• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

looking at starting a build

C
Sep 14, 2012
hey guys,

I found a polaris chassis the other day in great shape. I believe its and 82 and i know its a polaris liquid cooled chassis. it has nothing, but tunnel bulkhead and belly pan. A friend of mine and i are wanting to start our own custom build and for the price this is looking like a good option. now our thoughts are cutting up the tunnel and making our own tubular tunnel, maybe 159 inches. then we just need to find a rear suspension. then an edge front suspension. not sure what to put in for a motor, suggestions? any thoughts on this would be great this is only a rough plan of what we want to do this far.

Thanks,
Ryan

snownman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Does it have a...

title? not a good start if you can't register it. Realistically, pay 500.00 for something complete (with a title) then, at least you have all the basis parts. I.e. chain case, steering parts, belly pan...

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Budget and location? I have a complete full mod hill climb Edge chassis with Troy Pierce's HTG 800 BB triple, UB RG heads, crankshop pipes, bored 42mm tmx carbs, HTG was estimating 210 HP, lite weight stuff that cost me $30 large that I would let go for near $2000 just because I've moved on to the newer stuff. Lightened M-10, brand new ( one hill climb) 151" or 159" ( need to look, it has been in warm standby for a few years) finger track, Holz hollow chromoly drive shaft, ti jackshaft, aluminum ceramic brake disk, magnesium chain case with billet Wilwood caliper, aluminum triple roller chain gears, HRP quad tower primary, team secondary, Northern lights aluminum front suspension. One gallon fuel cell, Wahl race minimum seat, Jay Quinlan's freestyle BR tech lexan hood, C&A skis. ~400# dry weight

Paid that for just the trailing arms back in the day. In Valdez, AK make an offer. Thanks.

Last edited:
C
Sep 14, 2012
wow, sounds like an awesome sled! thats also an awesome price, not sure what shipping would be though, im all the way across the country. We aren't sure about budget yet. I'm going to talk to the owner and see if he still has the title to it as well. Ive got some steering parts and a full caincase and gears laying around in my shed. I was think 800 BB ultra motor. I figured it is going to take a while, I'm not home much so this will take up my free time and give me something to do when I can't ride or in the summer.

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
Regarding your project I think it would be a waste to get that chassis stripped down like that even if it was free. Sleds liek loudhandle are out there all over the place and have $10k in parts on them for a fraction of that. Just my opinion take the time to find one and travel to get it if you have too.

M

Modedmach1

Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
wow, sounds like an awesome sled! thats also an awesome price, not sure what shipping would be though, im all the way across the country.

It would cost 800 to 1000 bucks to ship that sled. I shipped one from WY to AK this summer. You can't build what you are considering building for anywhere near 3000 grand. I am all for building your own sled but, its gonna cost you a lot more than you can buy one for. I love building sleds but, bought one from a fellow SW'er for a fraction of what I could have built it for. If you have the budget by all means buy a bulkhead & start putting parts together. I would go with something a bit newer though, to start a build. Josh

Premium Features