• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'06 M7 Harsh Clutch Engagement

S
May 4, 2008
Hey there, I've seen multiple posts on this when I search, but haven't been able to open the threads on any of them. I bought my sled a couple years ago and don't know much about clutching. Actually I know nothing. It has a very harsh engagement after revving to 4500 rpm or thereabouts, sometimes higher and if I'm lucky it's below 4000. When I had it checked over after buying it, the tech indicated that something was wrong/worn with the old clutch and showed me the witness marks and I bought a new condition adjustable clutch and I think he said they have the lightest weights in it (68 g.?). From what little I understand is the weights control overall engine rpm, but do they also impact engagement? It would make sense to me, but like I said I don't know anything about them.... Yet. Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this. If I need to get the make of the adjustable setup I will, but thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone can help. Thanks

Last edited:
S
May 4, 2008
Probably 3000 - 7000', I don't know if it's stock. I'll get that info tomorrow and post. It doesn't seem to matter if it's in my yard or on the mountain, it just punches super hard.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Need to find out what is in it. Weights could be notched, too light, clutch could be sticking, spring too stiff, lots of things it could be.

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
What CB8 said. You need about .020" clearance between the belt and side of clutch. Your choices are to have the spider reshimed to obtain this clearance or buy Thunder Products ABC. Since you know nothing about the clutch shimming is out of the question. You can install and adjust the clearance with the ABC. No more banging in, spinning the track and getting stuck because of it. You can ease out of a hole. Here it is.http://www.thunderproducts.com/ABC Clutch kit.htm

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Before you start spending money on aftermarket stuff, make sure what you have is correct. All the hopups in the world aren't going to help if you have 2 x 35 gram weights, one 75 gram, no rollers, and a motorcycle suspension spring in it!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Excessive side clearance CAN def. make it slam in, we used to add shims for grass drags to MAKE them do that. But unless someone added them to make it like that, I doubt that is the issue. They don't get in there or change unless someone puts them there. Excessive side clearance isn't going to raise engagement much (if any) either.
It is probably something simple, more than likely maintenance related. Take a good look at it, find out what weights are in it. (Written on the side usually, a flashlight helps.) If you can get the clutch off, I like to kneel on the clutch to compress it, then you can look at the writing on the arms, make sure the rollers are in good shape, make sure the arms aren't flopping. (Shouldn't on that clutch, with fixed pins.) Things could be binding though. Don't let the clutch slip out from your knees wiht with a finger in there! Then you will have finger chunks in it, and that won't help. Clean/look at the spring, check for a color, and see if it has a stripe on it of another color. That will id the spring. Clutch on the sled, pull up and down on it, see if you can see any bushing play on the outer bushing. Hard to tell inner play without disassembly though. Can you take/post some pics?

S
Sep 16, 2010
Check and see what clutch spring is in your primary (they are color coded). All things being correct and functioning, the weight of the clutch spring has a lot to do with what RPM your clutch will engage at (soft spring, engages easy and at lower RPM. Stronger spring, engagement comes at a higher RPM).

You could have an incorrect or worn out clutch spring, or a worn out one. If it is the original 06 spring, it wouldn't hurt to replace it anyway. They aren't too expensive

Premium Features