• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"New to me" 2010 M8 track vibration "Sometimes?" s

Ken Climb

Premium Member
Took my new used (900 mile) 2010 m8 out this weekend. 1 1/2' powder climbing noticed quite a vibration in what felt like the track. By the time I got down to the truck it seemed to have dissapeared. Is this just ice build up in the tunnel?
I don't know what all the fuss is about this pclaw track. I'd bet money the regular stock pre 09 camo has alot more traction powder climbing. This one just seems to spin in the pow.

Fun zippy sled though!

C

corydoneen

Dec 21, 2010
Eastern Wa
"I don't know what all the fuss is about this pclaw track. I'd bet money the regular stock pre 09 camo has alot more traction powder climbing. This one just seems to spin in the pow."

you are mistaken on that, the power claw or as i like to call it the "powder claw" beats the heck out of the camo by along ways all tracks spin in the pow and the camo is a trenchin track from h*** the power claw will take you higher

S

Sno Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
Wlling to bet that if you check your helix that it is cracked and/or broken. Look closely...you will probably see a hairline crack.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
Also check the 9 bolts on the back of the clutch that hold the helix on. They are famous for braking and will cause the same type of vibration until they all brake then you know you have a big problem.

Yes it will feel like a drivetrain problem. Will almost feel like you have a driver that is bent.

ridgelinerunner

Premium Member
Oct 2, 2008
Vibration

I would check the drivers, I have seen them get bull nosed if a stump or rock has been hit. They will catch the windows of the track and cause a vibration. You can use a grinder or file to smooth them out. And as stated above check your secondary clutch, congrats on the new (old) sled.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
In the deep stuff if your limiter strap is out a long ways you will get the rail tips hitting the track pretty good. Especially if you are under a good load and the skid is transferring.

Then when you get back down towards the pickup the trail is packed a bit more and you are probably sitting a bit more keeping the front of the skid compressed more.

Just a thought. I can feel the vibration on mine when climbing in the fresh stuff and really pulling the front end up.

Thunder

E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
Wlling to bet that if you check your helix that it is cracked and/or broken. Look closely...you will probably see a hairline crack.

it could be this, but if it was it would only last for 20 miles at the most before it blew apart and you knew something was screwed.

Most likely your track is too loose. check it. 2"- 2.25

S
I have noticed the same thing. It feels like the track and varying speed makes the vibe slow down or get faster. It feels/sounds like lugs flicking off something. I have noticed the edge of my track fraying as well. Sometimes I feel it, sometimes I don't.

B

Brett Slagle

Jan 11, 2008
Also check the track tension bolts... these are breaking on some rigs and causing rail/bearing damage.

Brett

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
check your secondary clutch rollers, and check your clutches out thoroughly. check the spyder in your primary for cracks.

everything everyone said above can cause a vibration too. i would change your diamond drive oil and inspect just to be safe (make sure it didnt leak out all the oil) if the last owner didnt seal it right.

its cheap and easy to do and the oil that comes out will tell a story.

my buddies has a vibration last weekend and it ended up being the secondary rollers.

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
i'd agree with ice build up. i ride roughly the same area as you, if not exactly the same area, and i've been getting ice build up lately. check the stuff these other guys have mentioned though, and maybe also check the condition of your sliders. not sure about the new skid, but i've had the inside track nubs rubbing on the skid cross braces before because the sliders were worn down. only noticed the vibe when in the deep stuff.

i also have the same opinion of the pc track. just changed mine out with an a20 in hillclimb and i'm much happier now.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Another thing I have noticed is a certain speeds the track will start to fling up and hit the inside of the tunnel. It catches on the transition in the tunnel where AC rivets the extension onto the front part of the tunnel.

Thunder

C

cobaltpilot

Nov 26, 2007
BC
Ken,

These M's like the track to be fairly tight. There isn't a ton of lateral clearance between the track and the width of the tunnel.

My experience is that if the track is a bit loose it has a tendency to move just enough to rub the tunnel as it makes it's way back up into the tunnel. Take a look up inside the tunnel where the rear drop brackets bolt in. You'll see a black piece of teflon like material on each side of the tunnel. Good chance you'll see some wear on it from the track rubbing on it as it spins. Once you align your track and tension it enough there shouldn't be enough slack to permit the track to move enough to rub anymore.

You will also see some slight fraying on the outside edges of the track from this same issue. Not a big deal - I hope this is what's causing your newfound vibration as it's a simple adjustment and you're back out there enjoying the snow.

Premium Features