• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

93 Yamaha Ovation for my 9 yr old

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Did you have any plans for snow evacuation &/or traction mods. for the running boards?

I put a set of rail edge grip strips & Feethooker inserts on our Indy Lite as the stock arrangment is more or less unusable in anything other than hard packed conditions. The kid will be slippin' & slidin' all over the place. LOL

I'd have liked to have installed set of custom tubular boards that incorporated a "kicked up" tunnel extension, kinda like what VE offers for the Pro chassis, but that just wasn't in cards. LOL

Nah that's just part of the experience like when I was banging shins on my 72 Panther!
Jk
It's a good idea.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Yep & we all had plenty of those experiences in our early days of riding. LOL

I think I must sound like my dad when I tell my boy how good he's got it. Y'now, uphill to school. Both ways!

We never had the amenites such as good riding gear / clothing, heated handle bars, hot pot cookers, & machines that actually ran more than we worked on them. LOL

Nah that's just part of the experience like when I was banging shins on my 72 Panther!
Jk
It's a good idea.

reignman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2009
Boise, id
It runs! I took a test drive in the neighborhood today and it seems to work with no problem. I replaced the coils with a lighter spring, it only has 5 coils instead of 8. I might have mentioned this in a earlier post.

Here is the latest picture. I just need to add the windshield and a sticker/graphic kit. I did wet sand it and it looks a lot better. Might use compound on it next....

The original Ovation picture that I posted is not the actual sled that I bought. The one that I bought was pretty rough! I just wanted people to see what it might have looked like new.

I put the 160's back in, they are for 6-8k. I can only find 170's which is for 2-4k. We usually start riding at 5k so I prefer the 160's.

thanks, Rb

IMG_0834.JPG IMG_0833 copy.JPG

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Looking good & most importantly, it's going to perform much better when she hits the deep.

The truly satisfying part is seeing them gain confidence in their abilities enough that they try something new. Like climb a hill that previously intimidated them or traverse a tricky sidehill. The look of accomplishment on their face is priceless.

Makes the effort in building these machines for them well worth it IMO.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Steel skis, non-adjustable bars and cable brakes...

Metal cleat tracks, free air engines and carbs that spit a fine mist of premix on you whenever the engine was running.......
Started my kids out on a vintage sled for a couple years. Mainly because I had one, but partly so they’d appreciate the new fangled “old” iron from the 90s that they’d move up to!
They didn’t know any better. That old slide rail and leaf springs with a combined total of 4.23” of suspension travel would beat them senseless all day. They just hang on to the bars and go!

reignman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2009
Boise, id
Its finally done. It ran and handled pretty good considering it was a pogo stick front end. She is very happy. I did buy a sticker package....

It was a great project with her.

RBB

IMG_0843.jpg

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Looks pretty sharp!

It should serve her well for a few more years to come as well.....

Its finally done. It ran and handled pretty good considering it was a pogo stick front end. She is very happy. I did buy a sticker package....

RBB

M
Dec 21, 2011

RBB
I know this is an old thread, but I’m wondering what skis you adapted, and how you did it. Any info or pictures you could provide would be great.

I’d like to throw the stock steel ones in the garbage.

Great build with your daughter, BTW.

Premium Features