• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 rear cooling kits

Mr. BB

Premium Member
Sep 7, 2009
Are there any rear cooling kits out on market and has anyone installed one? If so how do u like it and who is providing the kits, price etc. Thanks

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
Local dealer had some customers have him install the High Country Full Length cooler, worked great but it’s a bit $$ to do.

TracSnake10

Premium Member
Mar 19, 2017
I’ve been out twice this year we’re the trail was just hammered and iced over making it pretty slow going. Even with the scratchers down, I saw mid 140’s the other day and earlier in the season had the hot light come on.

A rear cooler might be nice on some days

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
I’ve been out twice this year we’re the trail was just hammered and iced over making it pretty slow going. Even with the scratchers down, I saw mid 140’s the other day and earlier in the season had the hot light come on.

A rear cooler might be nice on some days
Alpha , mountain cat and the axys's in my ride group all over heat / get hot / run hot about the same in **** snow.

We all end up stopping at the same time at similar temperatures.

Polaris runs a tunnel cooler.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
If the coolant tank isn’t all the way full these sleds easily over heat on trails going I and out. Scratchers help a little. Glad I only have a couple miles at the most tonride in some places I ride. I’d probably think about a bigger cooler too if I had more trail to travel in on.

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
I've got probably 5000 miles on these sleds since they took the coolers out. They don't run any hotter than the other two. And for how much less snow they hold you could not pay me to go back to a long cooler ever again.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Fab up a larger coolant bottle. 10oz of extra coolant dropped the trail temps ~20°.
Add another 10-15oz...
Im sure that would be cheaper than a long cooler.

tapatio...

F
Nov 5, 2017
Nevada
I'm sure you could buy the small peice of cooler off of Chris Burandt's sled...

I was thinking about this a lot. The scratchers "not digging into ice" type problem.

Braze a carbide tip onto it. A worn out indexable one angled to kick up into the track would work very well.

Would even kick up the black top on the occasional road crossing

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Alpha's don't overheat on solid ice.......
Cause they won't move, if it doesn't move, can't get hot.... lol

tapatio...

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
If the coolant tank isn’t all the way full these sleds easily over heat on trails going I and out. Scratchers help a little. Glad I only have a couple miles at the most tonride in some places I ride. I’d probably think about a bigger cooler too if I had more trail to travel in on.

yup. get every ounce in there ya can. i had this issue and i was only down less than 8 oz....topped off and overheating went away.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
yup. get every ounce in there ya can. i had this issue and i was only down less than 8 oz....topped off and overheating went away.
Not that it matters but when Cat sent out all the surveys, i mentioned the reservoir is too small. The "full cold" line is insufficient for the 800 mountain sleds. I added 10oz to get it just above the "full hot" line. That dropped trail temps ~20°f.

tapatio...

Mr. BB

Premium Member
Sep 7, 2009
Fab up a larger coolant bottle. 10oz of extra coolant dropped the trail temps ~20°.
Add another 10-15oz...
Im sure that would be cheaper than a long cooler.

tapatio...

Any ideas on doing that? Are there companies that can do that? I put my scratchers down after unloading and they don't come back up until I'm back at trailer. 25 mph or more will keep temp at 131* which is great, but if it is necessary to ride 10-20 mph light will come on fairly quickly. Even off trail in 6" of snow it will overheat if I don't keep the speed up. I'm just use to my m-8's. Maybe a High Country would work better for me.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Any ideas on doing that? Are there companies that can do that? I put my scratchers down after unloading and they don't come back up until I'm back at trailer. 25 mph or more will keep temp at 131* which is great, but if it is necessary to ride 10-20 mph light will come on fairly quickly. Even off trail in 6" of snow it will overheat if I don't keep the speed up. I'm just use to my m-8's. Maybe a High Country would work better for me.
Not sure how the bottle is integrated within the sled?
I am sure many aluminum fabricators can make an aluminum bottle, not so sure about a plastic bottle.

The key to keep temps down is to spin the track! Hammer the throttle every so often. If u don't spin the track, the snow just flys out the back. U can drop 3-4° from one good spin in a few inches of snow.

tapatio...

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Stop watching the temp gauge, worse thing they did, second, the first light is not a HOT light, its a warning light to put down scratchrs to do something soon, next warning is it will start to miss because its in limp mode, its missing to get your attention and to cool engine

I have ridden this chassis thousands of miles since they removed the rear cooler with no issues, In the spring I have ridden 3 or 4 miles in dirt/mud/slush to get to the truck

Just quit watching the temp gauge and ride the damn thing lol

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city

I have also noticed that riding slow (under 25ish mph) in the trail greatly contributes to over heating. Personally I’m fine with anything under 150, you have to get a bit hotter to start the light flashing. Anyone know st what temp the light flashes and what temp the light goes solid?

fudge313

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2015
Finland
I have also noticed that riding slow (under 25ish mph) in the trail greatly contributes to over heating. Personally I’m fine with anything under 150, you have to get a bit hotter to start the light flashing. Anyone know st what temp the light flashes and what temp the light goes solid?
Press the button long then you see numbers.

Lähetetty minun Armor_3 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Mr. BB

Premium Member
Sep 7, 2009

I went up again 4 days later, same trails, warmer day. But I added most of a bottle of Water Wetter just to see. 25 mph on same road temperature stayed at 122* consistently. Slowed down in one spot ,10-15 mph and light did start blinking. Spun the track a good one and light went out within 15 to 20'. Light only came on that one time. Water Wetter mfg claimed user should get 8* lower temp. My little experiment netted 9* lower , but on a warmer day. Jury is still out for me , but it is encouraging. Anybody else try it?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I spoke with TKI about a larger coolant bottle.
We'll see if he comes up with something ..?

tapatio...

Premium Features