• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help: belt cords wedged their way between secondary sheaves

snowracer21

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2012
As title says.

Blew a belt at high speed, it was quite a mess. anyway, some of the cords managed to wrap themselves around the center of the secondary, and somehow made their way between the actual sheave and the center of the clutch, essentially seizing the clutch in place.

I attempted to remove the helix but cannot get the helix to budge even after multiple whacks with a rubber mallet, which makes it impossible to attempt to pry it free.

Tried a few different things but after a few hours of messing with it, I'm at a loss.

suggestions?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
As title says.

Blew a belt at high speed, it was quite a mess. anyway, some of the cords managed to wrap themselves around the center of the secondary, and somehow made their way between the actual sheave and the center of the clutch, essentially seizing the clutch in place.

I attempted to remove the helix but cannot get the helix to budge even after multiple whacks with a rubber mallet, which makes it impossible to attempt to pry it free.

Tried a few different things but after a few hours of messing with it, I'm at a loss.

suggestions?

Hold the clutch with the belt deflection stud pointing up.

Slam the clutch down on a solid piece of wood blocking. (Preferable on a concrete floor.)

That will pop the helix out.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Go pics? Screwing the belt removal tool all the way in doesn't open up the sheaves enough to get the cords out?

If you can't even spread the sheaves apart with the belt removal tool, then your clutch is stuck in reverse. It can happen with sudden stops. Just rotate the sheaves in opposite directions to unlock.

Last edited:
Premium Features