• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha vs twin rail

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
You could be right. They were all over the map for a minute and settled in at 7550. Only pulled 7900 on the upper end. It was always 8150. There was firm patches and soft spots all over the hill. I am wondering if I have a bad helix like a few have said. I also have s touch of a bog when you whack the throttle. I think something is binding.

have you cleaned the clutches proper yet? 700 miles is about the exact point my secondary needs a proper sheave cleaning (laundry room sink, maroon scotch bright, simple green and lots of scrubbing)
primary cleans up decent without removal.
if that doesn't do it you might have belt dust gumming up your secondary rollers.
I used to do Polaris clutches every 500 miles. skidoos you can just adjust clickers when you notice rpm drop and then you blow the belt soon.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Finally got my 19 mc on the snow today, not Shure I'd need a single rail, this thing lays right over.
My clutching was almost exact on a guess and I'm sore
picture.php

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Sounds like the Alpha does slide-out more easily on the steeper sidehills from reading the comments. This only makes sense and was a common opinion before the sled was on the snow.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
It will do it as will other sleds. Throttle has a lot to do with it. It is not bad imo. Just have to be a little more concious of it because it reacts quicker than other sleds.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Sounds like the Alpha does slide-out more easily on the steeper sidehills from reading the comments. This only makes sense and was a common opinion before the sled was on the snow.

The only people saying this are those that have not learned to ride the Alpha yet.. I 100% disagree with your statement. I expected it to be true but I have definitely found the Alpha to stick to the steep stuff better in all snow conditions. I have even pushed it intentionally hitting steep sidehills in hard snow and expecting washout and it just doesn't.

The only thing this sled needs is sharper turning and the taller spindles and it would be better than the Axys or any twin rail sled in every way every condition.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
after 500 miles on mine. i'm disappointed with a couple things.

1. it trenches far worse than expected. I've tried everything shock wise this season trying to combat it. lowering fts to 40# helped it a ton...but its still worse than a poo in this dept.

2. i bought too short of sled. these 154's feel like 141's when you get in deep snow and sidehills. I normally wouldn't say something like this but i got 3 friends who are claiming the same thing. I'm a bigger guy so i think i shoulda went 165 simply because of my weight alone. lesson learned.

3. i've flipped this sled over on myself like 10 times this year, lol. i've never done that with any other sled i've ever owned. so its kinda fun...but its not. When i needed to go up....front end would lift, sled would trench and boom....on my ass.

it does climb out of stucks better than any other sled tho, its does deep powder flat ground awesome...funner than any other sled i've ridden. no complaints except when i'm on a hill and trying to make some small technical move and boom...washes out or trenches. maybe its me and i need more learning...very possible because i'm not an expert. But i could get on my 18' MC 154 and do the same line without washing out and flipping over. :)

Do you have the rear shock in lock out? My 18 mountain cat will lift the front too high and trench in Colorado deep powder but, in "LOCK OUT" nothing but a controllable, unstoppable BEAST!!

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
The only people saying this are those that have not learned to ride the Alpha yet.. I 100% disagree with your statement. I expected it to be true but I have definitely found the Alpha to stick to the steep stuff better in all snow conditions. I have even pushed it intentionally hitting steep sidehills in hard snow and expecting washout and it just doesn't.

The only thing this sled needs is sharper turning and the taller spindles and it would be better than the Axys or any twin rail sled in every way every condition.

In my opinion, track length makes a big difference here. I finally threw a leg over a 165 Alpha yesterday and it significantly better/easier on sidehills compared to my 154.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I find my Alpha is easier to stick to a steep sidehill over my Elevated and even stock mountain Cat. I try to get my Alpha to elevator and it just wants to stick to the slope.

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
Do you have the rear shock in lock out? My 18 mountain cat will lift the front too high and trench in Colorado deep powder but, in "LOCK OUT" nothing but a controllable, unstoppable BEAST!!

yeah trust me, i've went thru every setting possible. It is better locked out tho...but i still have issues. I'm a big guy, i'm 90% sure i can solve this with a longer sled. it just handles like a 141 to me in every aspect. fun as hell but when i want to do something neat on side of a hill that requires going up...its trench and flip every time...no matter what setting i'm on.

B

Boondockingak

yeah trust me, i've went thru every setting possible. It is better locked out tho...but i still have issues. I'm a big guy, i'm 90% sure i can solve this with a longer sled. it just handles like a 141 to me in every aspect. fun as hell but when i want to do something neat on side of a hill that requires going up...its trench and flip every time...no matter what setting i'm on.

I’m thinking this is a weight issue as you say. I’m 210plus gear and my 154” is working well in the steep.

Z
Apr 26, 2017

I might be one of the few here but I actually do NOT like the rear locked out. I accidentally had it locked out for two days on my last trip and I have never been so frustrated. The front end wouldn't generate any lift and I was pushing snow up front causing the rear to tench. I had a hard time climbing anything. I have had better luck with the skis in the sky climbing (okay, that might be a exaggeration)

I definitely think some of you bigger guys would benefit from a 165. I'm 5'7, a 190 lbs geared up. My 154 wheelies quite a bit for me, and I'm not that big of a guy. I think it depends where you ride too.

My alpha wheelies significantly more when I ride in the U.P. at low elevation. It definitely loses some power at 10K feet, and thus doesn't wheelie the same.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Lockout sucks except for straight up climbing, then it can significantly help make the highmark.

tapatio...

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
I might be one of the few here but I actually do NOT like the rear locked out. I accidentally had it locked out for two days on my last trip and I have never been so frustrated. The front end wouldn't generate any lift and I was pushing snow up front causing the rear to tench. I had a hard time climbing anything. I have had better luck with the skis in the sky climbing (okay, that might be a exaggeration)

I definitely think some of you bigger guys would benefit from a 165. I'm 5'7, a 190 lbs geared up. My 154 wheelies quite a bit for me, and I'm not that big of a guy. I think it depends where you ride too.

My alpha wheelies significantly more when I ride in the U.P. at low elevation. It definitely loses some power at 10K feet, and thus doesn't wheelie the same.

You are not alone. Every one I personally ride with that has tried lockout and non lockout and truly compared them decided that lockout sucks. Like you said it drives the rear down and does not allow the front to effectively climb on top of the snow hence massive trenching.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
how do you accidentally leave it locked out for TWO days? wouldn't ya flip that thing over and see what's wrong after the first hour? lockout is for STEEP steep hillclimb, turn it back when done.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I rode mine the first day locked out. Short day because the snap ring came out of upper idler and couldn't get it back in. It was just the trail that really sucked. Thought it was on 1 and had 130 in rear. Kept asking my buddy if he could see the rear suspension moving. So I are retarded also.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
1st thing- Dont compare a turbo to a stocker! But I've got some bad azz clutching for tree riding a turbo :))). still making some tweaks but as is ill actually ride it.

2- The alpha shock valving is FqD. What a joke. I'll take the 18 any day. So you cant compare the 2 sleds because its that bad.

3- the alpha sticks to a hill better but panels ever so slightly sooner, it wont elevator either. It seriously needs a elevate style kit and raised boards. hopefully coming soon.

because the shocks are so bad its like riding a polaris with a mono rail.

I sent alpha shocks to GSR (gas shock repair) to get revalved so look forward to that.

A huge factor in the alpha and people trenching is improper throttle control. You can not always pin it, the track will dig a huge hole. If you work it right you can get on the snow faster than any other track on the market.

The turbo was horrific at punching holes without control but like I said I've got it now so that I can float on top then apply power.

But the shocks need some work to make this sled predictable!

Stock for stock I cant say no to that track but like the better handling of the MC because the shocks actually work.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Finally, i am not the only one that thinks the shocks are horrible on the Alpha.
My 18 was so much better.
Not sure if its just the valveing or mounting location that makes it bad.

tapatio...

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
rumor is.... the right valve spec missed the production date....
just a rumor though.

But yeah, From amazing to polaris was my thought. Way to really make that mono a chit show.

Premium Features