• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Don’t ride your 18 or 19!!

ARCTIC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Boise, Idaho
I've never experienced a high idle on my Alpha but l think it occasionally coughs up a fireball on shut down.

My 18 does this as well. I have gotten used to it by I get strange looks from new riders with me when they hear it.:face-icon-small-sho

cycology1

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2017
AC cust support finally answered...said they are slammed with both this and the release for 2020 questions.

The ECU flash is for the fireball out the can upon deceleration - when you pull thumb back instantly vs taking off slowly. said it doesnt happen on all sleds

no other update included according to the rep...

at least forest wont catch on fire with all the pow here in CO

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
I am hearing that Precision is looking at the new ECU mapping and will update the Stage 1 map

I just talked to tom ferry and yes percision is doing an update to their flash. I'll have mine reflashed. He said it was an update for the melting belly pan problem. The same fix cat is doing but you will keep your percision tuning map

Carramrod

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 18, 2011
Kalispell, MT
It’s for high idle after, WTFO. My sled runs great an could care less about the high idle. Having had sleds from various manufacturers in the past that once getting their “mandatory update” ran like sh!t I’m going to wait a few weeks before getting mine flashed. After all a high idle just makes you that much more on the ball for launch when needed. Isn’t that a win? ;)

eatsnow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2008
I had a bunch of warranty work done for the melting issue. Still have to get all the plastics replaced. Melted exhaust valves, Throttle cable, recoil assembly etc. I called Cat customer service to complain. They should buy all the Alpha's guys Cans IMO. I love the sled but silly you can't ride it stock in deep powder. At least they warrantied it all without any push back.

cycology1

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2017
It’s for high idle after, WTFO. My sled runs great an could care less about the high idle. Having had sleds from various manufacturers in the past that once getting their “mandatory update” ran like sh!t I’m going to wait a few weeks before getting mine flashed. After all a high idle just makes you that much more on the ball for launch when needed. Isn’t that a win? ;)

I'm also not updating as I cant get to dealer before I ride tonight, but according to customer service it's for the flame out the can not high idle...I asked

G
Nov 26, 2007
2019 mt cat with 350 miles so far speedwrkx can. no fireball either that im aware of. some high idle. sled runs so good im not taking it in unless they steal it! ha ha

L
Nov 25, 2018
sled runs so good im not taking it in unless they steal it! ha ha

Same sled, but with HPS can and she's running like a raped ape. Yes, high on idle, but nothing I can't manage, and agreed on not taking it in unless they break into my garage!

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
It will be interesting to see what we get when someone puts a sled with the new ECU tune on the dyno.

Hopefully, the overall power will be up in the midrange and top end with decreased fuel on the low end to lower the idle speed and minimize having to put a spark arrestor on the exhaust.

Although, like you I am concerned the tune could be possess unwanted traits.

I guess we'll have to wait an see.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Please post up finding for those that had this done for this weekends ride. Read one comment on Facebook, claims his sled runs better. That is all I’ve seen so far.

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
Ive got an alpha that hasn't idled well all winter. 350 miles so far.. 1500-1850 rpm while warming up. Up and down constantly. Plus when I shut it off half the time is sounds like a muffled backfire. Probably the fireball ppl are talking about. Has a HPS can on it. Haven't heard from my dealer yet. Runs good other than the idle/fireballs. And various idiots lights going on and off.
Maybe Id benefit from the refresh. Don't they supposed to call me rather than read it on SW and call them??

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Ive got an alpha that hasn't idled well all winter. 350 miles so far.. 1500-1850 rpm while warming up. Up and down constantly. Plus when I shut it off half the time is sounds like a muffled backfire. Probably the fireball ppl are talking about. Has a HPS can on it.?

Mine does the exact same - idles up and down warming up. I’m running the same can. I let the sled idle down before shutting off so don’t get the muffled backfire. But noticed that a couple times when my tether accidently was pulled.

I do not see how the backfire/flames is not related to the high idle. I would think the reflash would fix both.

Look forward to hearing from those that had the reflash done. My dealer is 2 hours away so not the easiest for me to rush and get this done.

bcsnowdog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
frank mountain bc
My 19 had a high idle mostly when hot. Had reflash done yesterday put on 100kms now idling at 2900-3000 before dropping down maybe something else going on.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
d7c72efd312b8c8daa655775da49c3bc.jpg

Premium Features