• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Don’t ride your 18 or 19!!

CATDIESELPOWER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
IDAHO
So is this for real or an early April Fools joke? I’ve got a free weekend and tons of new snow waiting. Think I’m riding no matter what

N
Jan 11, 2008
Spokane, WA
I had my ECU flashed with the precision tune and it still melted panels.

Guess I will get this flash done to see if it is truly fixed

Had mine done with the Sibler reflash last week. :face-icon-small-dis

Going to wait for more info to develop on this before I bring it in.

If you have the dealer flash the new update you both will lose your custom tunes.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
What strikes me odd is if cat says its a personal injury hazard, why is that an issue with high idle? Sled a couple hundred rpm higher idle isnt going to have the sled take off on you when not on it. Makes more sense they say one thing and they actually fvcked up and pulled a Volkswagon and are trying to fix the ecm programming before it becomes a lawsuit. Or richen it up because there are motor failures and it sips oil...

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
I've never experienced a high idle on my Alpha but l think it occasionally coughs up a fireball on shut down.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Guessing its to fix the flamey exhaust but they arent stating that for liability reasons. Who knows though.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Called my dealer this afternoon. The new reflash is available from cat. Going to stop by and get my 18’ flashed in the morning. If you have a silber or precision flash the new cat flash I believe wipes your ECU clean and then puts the new flash in. So be prepared to lose whatever flash is in your ECU if you have this done. I’m not flashing my Silber Turbo alpha, just me stock 18’.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
If you have died from this recall issue, please post your experience.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

cycology1

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2017
funny...

but in all seriousness, what led to this ECU update? Was it simply high idle after a big climb or are they acknowledging some panels melting due to heat? changing the oil mix?

It does seem that 40 to 1 or even higher is pretty low to keep a high performance motor lubed but not an engineer.

Do they release a list of exactly what they do to the ECU?

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
No link I'm just an old school tuner I know that 40 to 1 is a really safe place

We used to use steam power too, should we go back to that? we used to get 2mpg should we go back to that? we used to have to carry a case of spark plugs should we go back to that lol

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Called my dealer this afternoon. The new reflash is available from cat. Going to stop by and get my 18’ flashed in the morning. If you have a silber or precision flash the new cat flash I believe wipes your ECU clean and then puts the new flash in. So be prepared to lose whatever flash is in your ECU if you have this done. I’m not flashing my Silber Turbo alpha, just me stock 18’.

well they cant alter the fuel or oil ration without sending engine for EPA testing again at great cost

Premium Features