• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TSS Issues

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
I have debated putting a thread up on this because I know it is going to sound like I am pumping the bypass' I sell. I am not, but I am sure there will be some that think I am. I am posting this because I hate hearing the stories when a TSS fails and people end up towing out or doubling up and leaving the sled. I have had ~ 15 people call/pm me this year needing a bypass because their TSS failed. Last year, I only had a few people that reported actual failures. I don't know if there is an issue with the throttle block getting moisture in it and corroding the variable resistor or if those little wires hanging out the of the bottom of the throttle block are starting to wear. But the failure rate appears to be much higher for some reason. If you don't have/want a bypass, it might be a good idea to inspect the wire coming out of the bottom of the throttle block after each ride. The harness has a strain relief molding on the wire shield and most (Axys) sleds I look at I can see that the wire shield has pulled out of the throttle block. You would have to separate the block to get the harness back in correctly. Also, you might check 1/2x per year by hooking up an ohm meter and doing a sweep test on the TSS circuit.

Cheers,
Chris

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
What are the symptoms of a switch gone bad ??

Cutting out while riding.

Sometimes it’s just slack throttle cable adjustment.

More often it’s the TSS.

Gut it (works sometimes) or bypass it. (Always works)

We even had to bypass an alpha TSS the last ride out. ��

Last edited:

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Funny, just had this happen to me on an old sled. Rode 6-8 miles up to my house in sunny above-freezing weather, then a couple hours later when I went to leave, the temp had dropped 15º, and it just wanted to die as soon as you cracked the throttle. At least on that old thing all you have to do is disconnect the right harness. After experiencing that in a very benign setting, I'll definitely be ordering a bypass if/when I have a sled that might need it some day!

T
Jan 9, 2010
EC ND
I have been riding for 25 years and never needed a bypass. 2nd trip this year i was sidehilling through the trees and a small branch tore the wires out of the throttle block. Helpless feeling when 2 tiny wires wont let you go! We were able to do some MacGyver 101 on the side of the hill. If not it would have been 3 hours before one of the guys could have gone out got a switch brought it back. So next day went to town got a new switch, guy said that skinz make a bypass for those situations so i thought better safe then sorry. Probably never need it...... 4th trip, ghost rider took a buddies sled for a short ride, clipped a tree broke the throttle block pulled out the wires. Well what do you know I have a bypass for that. (I would never leave it in all the time, but it worked awesome to get the sled out)

P
Dec 26, 2022
Buhl,ID
I have debated putting a thread up on this because I know it is going to sound like I am pumping the bypass' I sell. I am not, but I am sure there will be some that think I am. I am posting this because I hate hearing the stories when a TSS fails and people end up towing out or doubling up and leaving the sled. I have had ~ 15 people call/pm me this year needing a bypass because their TSS failed. Last year, I only had a few people that reported actual failures. I don't know if there is an issue with the throttle block getting moisture in it and corroding the variable resistor or if those little wires hanging out the of the bottom of the throttle block are starting to wear. But the failure rate appears to be much higher for some reason. If you don't have/want a bypass, it might be a good idea to inspect the wire coming out of the bottom of the throttle block after each ride. The harness has a strain relief molding on the wire shield and most (Axys) sleds I look at I can see that the wire shield has pulled out of the throttle block. You would have to separate the block to get the harness back in correctly. Also, you might check 1/2x per year by hooking up an ohm meter and doing a sweep test on the TSS circuit.

Cheers,
Chris
Chris, Do you still make these Bypasses? I'd like to get 3 if them if you do.

P
Dec 26, 2022
Buhl,ID

Cheers,
Chris
Chris, Do you still make these Bypasses? I'd like to get 3 if them if you do.

Premium Features