• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What New sled for next season

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Long story short, i tore my rotator cuff requiring surgery and sold my 16 axys 155 last week. Looking forward to seeing what snowchecks offer, but im asking you guys a loaded question, what do you recomend? Im fairly agressive and an intermediate to advanced level rider, i love my axys. But im open to trying something new. Im leaning towards just getting an axys because its what i know.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

M
Dec 17, 2016
Northern Illinois
I don't know how you could honestly pick! Every company has a sled I'd like to have in my garage. Polaris RMK 850, Skidoo Summit 850, Alpha or even let me say a sidewinder turbo 153. All have their problems but they are all amazing machines! I've been a long time Ski-doo guy but being able to pick up a new Alpha for like 11k is mighty appealing!

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I don't know how you could honestly pick! Every company has a sled I'd like to have in my garage. Polaris RMK 850, Skidoo Summit 850, Alpha or even let me say a sidewinder turbo 153. All have their problems but they are all amazing machines! I've been a long time Ski-doo guy but being able to pick up a new Alpha for like 11k is mighty appealing!
It really is hard, the sidewinder is a no go just for the fact that its a 17k sled.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
It really is hard, the sidewinder is a no go just for the fact that its a 17k sled.

I have seen holdover sidewinders for $11k... Hard to sell at over $16k so there are some discounted ones on the market. My reason for not wanting one though is the 100 lb+ weight penalty.

I don't know how you pick one either. I would be leery of the Poo 850 until they get the engine debacle figured out for sure. I love the Alpha from Cat and if you can ride a wobble buggy, the Doo 850 is finally a pretty solid machine after some initial belt problems.

My choice for next season is likely an Alpha, I have enjoyed riding my buddies around a little. That said I was really hoping the 850 Poo wasn't going to have a time bomb under the hood, love that Axys chassis. Hopefully they have that fixed for '20...

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I have seen holdover sidewinders for $11k... Hard to sell at over $16k so there are some discounted ones on the market. My reason for not wanting one though is the 100 lb+ weight penalty.

I don't know how you pick one either. I would be leery of the Poo 850 until they get the engine debacle figured out for sure. I love the Alpha from Cat and if you can ride a wobble buggy, the Doo 850 is finally a pretty solid machine after some initial belt problems.

My choice for next season is likely an Alpha, I have enjoyed riding my buddies around a little. That said I was really hoping the 850 Poo wasn't going to have a time bomb under the hood, love that Axys chassis. Hopefully they have that fixed for '20...
I think the 850 poo issue is blown out of proportion, the bearing migration issue was due to an engine builder not doing it right and ive heard he is gone now? There have been a few other issues that are likely cleared up in the second year run. I took a chance on the 16 axys and that sled had no issues sold with 2k miles. I wish i could ride a doo and a alpha before the season is over. But i dont think it will happen with the shoulder

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I think the 850 poo issue is blown out of proportion, the bearing migration issue was due to an engine builder not doing it right and ive heard he is gone now? There have been a few other issues that are likely cleared up in the second year run. I took a chance on the 16 axys and that sled had no issues sold with 2k miles. I wish i could ride a doo and a alpha before the season is over. But i dont think it will happen with the shoulder

I think the 850 Poo issue hasn't even begun to rear its ugly head, 45 dead sleds in the poll now, if you watch it, it has been growing steadily by about 1 dead 850 per day. When I see the internals I see serious design flaws, not just a builder gone bad but everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

I took a chance on a 16 Axys and was burned, two primary clutches, blown motor, broken PV cable, several bent a-arms, it was a clown show on my end. Sold it with 1200 miles on it knowing it would never last a second season for me.

For me, the Alpha is like cheating, REALLY impressive at low speeds in tight trees, always has traction, very little effort to get it where you want it to go and stable, even on the trail. You have to love the Doo handling to go there. I find them easy to turn but unpredictable in technical situations that the Cat and Poo breeze right through.

Good Luck

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I think the 850 Poo issue hasn't even begun to rear its ugly head, 45 dead sleds in the poll now, if you watch it, it has been growing steadily by about 1 dead 850 per day. When I see the internals I see serious design flaws, not just a builder gone bad but everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

I took a chance on a 16 Axys and was burned, two primary clutches, blown motor, broken PV cable, several bent a-arms, it was a clown show on my end. Sold it with 1200 miles on it knowing it would never last a second season for me.

For me, the Alpha is like cheating, REALLY impressive at low speeds in tight trees, always has traction, very little effort to get it where you want it to go and stable, even on the trail. You have to love the Doo handling to go there. I find them easy to turn but unpredictable in technical situations that the Cat and Poo breeze right through.

Good Luck
How is the power of the alpha compared to the 800 axys?

D

Dabull

Nov 26, 2007
utah

No comparison the cat ctec 800 is a beast. The Poo 800 is the weakest of the three until you put an slp single on it.

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT

300 Sled were affected by the issue. Thats not my opinion its what Polaris is telling there dealers. According to my source who is a Polaris dealer. They have not had one returned trail sled or mountain.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
300 Sled were affected by the issue. Thats not my opinion its what Polaris is telling there dealers. According to my source who is a Polaris dealer. They have not had one returned trail sled or mountain.
300 out of likely thousands? And polaris found it and fixed, so an inconvenience? Yes, but not a reason imo to give up on all the 850s. Good buddy of mine works for carls and said out of the 170 850s they sold only a couple had the bearing issue and only one has blown up outside of that. So i dont know? We will see how the rest of the season goes i guess. Im seriously considering the alpha, but the multiple reports of breaking the rail is a little concerning. Hopefully something gets done about that in the second model year.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho

You are correct - WAAAY out of proportion! Mostly by those who ride other brands of sleds, calamity howlers, and other "trolls" on this site. This axys 850 is without question by FAR the BEST sled out there for mountain riding.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
You are correct - WAAAY out of proportion! Mostly by those who ride other brands of sleds, calamity howlers, and other "trolls" on this site. This axys 850 is without question by FAR the BEST sled out there for mountain riding.

The guy fixing a bunch of them seems to disagree with you, as do I. You have NO proof that ANYBODY voted incorrectly in the poll but yet you run around the site spouting off just that, "its the other guys voting to screw up the poll". I seriously doubt that. I have an axe to grind with Polaris and how they treated me but even I, your favorite troll, wouldn't vote just to screw up the poll. My guess is, nobody has and you are full of doody. Ironically, it makes you an even bigger troll than you accuse me of being...

The "best" sled on the mtn is a matter of opinion. The Doo guys will tell you their 850 is better, and it is, the Cat guys will tell you the durability is better, and it is. The Polaris guys will tell you the new 850 is the bomb, and I believe that too...

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018

I always like the bottom end response of the Axys, seemed to beat most everything well off the line in our impromptu drag races. The Alpha feel like it has a lot more power though, especially the midrange pull. I have been pretty impressed with it. Feels every bit as strong on the hill as the 850 Doos around it.

For me, all the 800s had enough power. Any of them could take me places I shouldn't go. I like the effortless handling of the Alpha, it is like cheating IMO. I already ride away from the group in the trees on my '17 MC, I think I could completely disappear into the woods on a 154 Alpha, them boys would never keep up with that. Just my humble opinion... LOL

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
The guy fixing a bunch of them seems to disagree with you, as do I. You have NO proof that ANYBODY voted incorrectly in the poll but yet you run around the site spouting off just that, "its the other guys voting to screw up the poll". I seriously doubt that. I have an axe to grind with Polaris and how they treated me but even I, your favorite troll, wouldn't vote just to screw up the poll. My guess is, nobody has and you are full of doody. Ironically, it makes you an even bigger troll than you accuse me of being...

The "best" sled on the mtn is a matter of opinion. The Doo guys will tell you their 850 is better, and it is, the Cat guys will tell you the durability is better, and it is. The Polaris guys will tell you the new 850 is the bomb, and I believe that too...

And, those fixing just one "failure" would disagree with YOU. You ride a cat, and hate Polaris . . .we ALLLLL get it. Same song - different verse!

You have no proof everyone voted correctly either. . . so your point is??? I am pretty sure the mods know exactly who voted and how they voted.

Sorry Bro, you're not my favorite troll . . . you are just a troll :)

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
300 out of likely thousands? And polaris found it and fixed, so an inconvenience? Yes, but not a reason imo to give up on all the 850s. Good buddy of mine works for carls and said out of the 170 850s they sold only a couple had the bearing issue and only one has blown up outside of that. So i dont know? We will see how the rest of the season goes i guess. Im seriously considering the alpha, but the multiple reports of breaking the rail is a little concerning. Hopefully something gets done about that in the second model year.

There is no perfect sled, all my buddies love there 850 axys. No issues and I have about 5 hours on one and I really like it awesome front end and a little more torque than my 800. But i really like the fit and finish on them, I think there sharp.

I have heard all the issues with rails on the alpha and belts on the skidoo but to be honest I have not ran into those either so idk....

It comes down to just getting used to what your on. there all pretty awesome and about as equally flawed.

Premium Features