• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Boosted failures and issues

U
I’m looking for actual info from the boost community on 850 boost related failures. This isn’t a post trying to bash anyone but rather to gather some knowledge that might help us make some good decisions.

I have a boosted 850. Its really fun. Brand doesn’t matter. It runs really well...buttttt I get nervous.

Talking to the big bore manufacturers and they will tell ya that every boosted 850 ever created has burned down....so go buy a big bore.

The turbo guys will tell you. Nope never heard of a single 850 burning down or melting a piston on boost.

How have your boosted 850’s been holding up? Can they handle long (really long) full throttle pulls without heat soaking or melting a piston?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Out of three Boondockers that local dealer has sold/installed, two have burned down within 100 miles. One was a 19 850, one was a 17 as I recall. Boondocker refuses to address it.

Flydanner

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2018
MPI’s kits are full of electrical gremlins. I would definitely avoid anything from MPI

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
MPI’s kits are full of electrical gremlins. I would definitely avoid anything from MPI

That's a really productive first post. I'm sure being it is your first post and all, everyone on Snowest is going to take your advice and never touch anything MPI. Do you happen to be Silber's new web guy, since their last one got his feeling hurt in the Axys forum and hasn't been seen on here since? :face-icon-small-con

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Chalk one up in his favor because a buddy put an mpi on his 19 and it came home on a rope. All he told me was something electrical. Fixed now and as chadly says, it runs flawless now. I don't know if it was sled woes or turbo kit woes.

Backcountrypro

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Get use to it that the big bore shops like to bitch about the turbo kits. Been down that road with two “highly respected” big bore guys on the old 800 etec. One told me I better have a back up sled and tow rope for my new turbo etec.....this was back in 2012 mind you and I am still riding the same sled without any type of engine failure. Other guy said his BB would out perform a turbo in technical riding any day and he just didn’t care to mess with them.....few years later he was selling MPI kits....hmmmm.

I will be installing a turbo on a 850 for next season. The course followed with the old 800 Etec turbo remains the same. Fuel the engine with sufficient octane for boost and elevation. Dial in fuel map for the best AFR. Load engine properly with correct clutching and gearing.

T
Silber 850

Ive got about 600 miles on an 18 silber 850 at 7lbs,(shr adjustable ramps loaded full @ 8k to 11k feet) for the most part its been awesome, sometimes it'll sputter on top end, but can usually be fixed with a clicker adjustment, but now ive got a low end sputter thinking maybe reeds,but when running right its comes on fast , smoothest turbo ive ran.

update, it was reeds, put in force turbo reeds, 200 miles so far so good. also did the grip n rip alignment, every 850 should do it, so much better, tried a couple 45 second to minute long pulls and belt was fine, love this setup!!!!

Last edited:

Flydanner

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2018
That's a really productive first post. I'm sure being it is your first post and all, everyone on Snowest is going to take your advice and never touch anything MPI. Do you happen to be Silber's new web guy, since their last one got his feeling hurt in the Axys forum and hasn't been seen on here since? :face-icon-small-con

No it’s coming from the last 850 with an MPI kit on it that typicaly rides with us has had to be towed out 3 of the last 6 days riding. It’s ate 3 coils and one TPS. Yet MPI just say I don’t know not our fault. The only real help we have been able to find is from Big John. If you weren’t such a keyboard warrior and actually spent some time on the mountain talking to other riders you’ll see that we’re not to only ones facing these problems. So calm down little man, I know being behind the keyboard gives you the courage to say what ever you want with out getting you teeth knocked out.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
No it’s coming from the last 850 with an MPI kit on it that typicaly rides with us has had to be towed out 3 of the last 6 days riding. It’s ate 3 coils and one TPS. Yet MPI just say I don’t know not our fault. The only real help we have been able to find is from Big John. If you weren’t such a keyboard warrior and actually spent some time on the mountain talking to other riders you’ll see that we’re not to only ones facing these problems. So calm down little man, I know being behind the keyboard gives you the courage to say what ever you want with out getting you teeth knocked out.

What area do you ride? I'd love to come ride with you. Perhaps you can kick my teeth in and then teach me how you non keyboard warriors ride. I ride 40-50 times a year, have a couple of sleds, one which has an MPI kit on it. Far from a keyboard jockey and if you weren't brand new around here and read a few threads you would probably know that.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Ive got about 600 miles on an 18 silber 850 at 7lbs, for the most part its been awesome, sometimes it'll sputter on top end, but can usually be fixed with a clicker adjustment, but now ive got a low end sputter thinking maybe reeds,but when running right its comes on fast , smoothest turbo ive ran.

Buddy of mine put a silber on his 850. He was running 7 pounds of boost. Took his reeds out the first day. Seems like it is an 17. Just put the turbo on 2 weeks ago.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
Are these isolated incidents or a lot of people having issues with the doo's on boost? I don't follow them closely but ride with 3 850's on a regular basis. They appear to be a very good motor na

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Installed/rode numerous silber 850s' on the doo's. Handful of dumb issues here and there but nothing major and none have had motor issues.

Had some issues with helix bolts backing out and some spring tabs snapping but overall VERY strong and clean running sleds.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Update my previous post, all three Boondocker turbos of three sold are down now. Dealer is about done with Boondocker.
MPI ambassador here had nothing but issues last year, multiple engines replaced.
850 Doos don't like boost.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I have 2 friends with Boondocker turbos on their 18’s. One has been pretty solid, the other burt down last year. This year the same one is having other gremlins, it is supposedly at Boondocker now getting looked at.

I’ve heard of a few Silbers having issues as well.

Kinda sounds like it’s a crap shoot. Some folks say no issues pull the rope and go, while other keep coming back on the rope.

WAsledder

Premium Member
Nov 7, 2018
Cle Elum WA
Two of my riding buddies are running 850's with the silber kits in Washington state. Last season we installed the kits....the sleds fell on their faces. Silber helped at first and then as usual fell off the face of the earth.

First problem was clutching. The sleds would not stop over revving. They ended up with ridiculous amounts of pin weights and went thru just about everyone's clutch kits and the problem still existed. They were told to get longer pivot bolts and keep stacking weights. When that didn't work they were told to get zrp tailstanders, and their problems would be gone for sure.

Second problem. They blew off the airboxes over and over again. Without a blow off valve on the 850 kit the plastic airboxes would take the dump and disform the airboxes to the point that they wouldn't fit and couldn't hold a seal.

Third problem. All the welds on the can split and blew apart.

Fourth problem. Boost spikes...a 3lb spring would spike to 14 lbs in our riding area and run about 7.

The fix for all of this was to call Bryce at force. He set them up with everything they needed to fix the kits and their sleds are absolute monsters this year. The 850 loves boost and is an animal. I run a boosted axys and my sled on 7lbs is comparable to theirs on 3lbs.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Update my previous post, all three Boondocker turbos of three sold are down now. Dealer is about done with Boondocker.
MPI ambassador here had nothing but issues last year, multiple engines replaced.

Do you just get home from work and kick your dog around your house? I swear you have to be the most miserable/negative person on this forum. I have yet to see you say anything good about anything lol I offered to ride with you in McCall and you went quiet. I'll be back in a couple weeks and you can try my turbo which ran flawless for 3 days straight in McCall. You can also try the Tom's skids on both my sleds. Then perhaps you can post a positive post for once?

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city

Who is your “MPI ambassador”? There aren’t any, so I find it kinda funny you would say that they claimed multiple engine failures. Sounds like it’s a problem with whoes installing your turbos, can’t get MPI or BD to live.

To answer the original question. If your stock ski doo parts are in good shape and you have someone who knows what they are doing install and set up your turbo, you won’t have any problems. I probably have a dozen friends with ski doo 850 turbos. Some on are on their third season. Some have bought a new 850 every year and installed a new turbo every year. There is one thing that will kill a boosted doo 850 motor very quickly, that’s over reving the motor. As far as reliability of a turbo compared to a big bore, again it’s going to come down to install and set up. Personally I’ve had boondocker, MPI and Silber turbos. Poor set up or install will kill a good turbo or bog bore very quickly.

Last edited:

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
This thread pretty much solidifies what I have been saying on here the past 4 years. Turbos aren't pull and go. Don't buy one thinking that. Sure you can get lucky and have zero issues but I would say that's on the rare side. As for the guy who posted about MPI zero of those issues your buddy is experiencing are from the turbo kit. Those are all problems that even a stock sled could have. Luck of the draw. The other issue some of these turbo guys have is they have zero relationship with their local dealer because they drive 500 miles to save $500 on their sled and do some hillbilly install in their garage. Then they have no dealer support what so ever. I've worked hand in hand with my dealer with my turbo and they have done everything they can to help me deal with small problems I have had a long the way. Not all turbos melt down, not all kits suck, but you are an idiot if you think a turbo is going to be as dependable as a bone stock sled. If you truly want a turbo I suggest you have TWO sleds so when the turbo isn't running right you don't have to come on here MFing the manufacturer. Get a kit that others in your area have or even better yet a kit your dealer is familiar with so WHEN not IF you have issues you have multiple/experienced people to help you work through them.

Premium Features