• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Top end or no?

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
I have a '17 800 with approx 1200 miles on it (unsure exactly as PIDD had to be replaced).
Sled runs strong, no issues yet.

I was thinking about doing a new top end and various other things (tps adjustment, new pv cable, etc...) this summer just to refresh it.

My other thought was to sell, and pick up a left over either '18 or '19.

'18s are at blow out prices right now. I can probably sell my '17 and pick up an '18 for about $3-4k. I am going to wait another year for the 850.

So the question is, should I just refresh my '17 or spend a bit more, and have a completely new sled, top to bottom? price difference would be about 2-3K if I can get my '17 sold

thoughts?
thanks

ADDIE

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2013
If you measure your AXYS pistons, chances are they are out of spec and have been for a while.

Doing a piston replacement on any of the CFI engines is never a bad idea.

The OEM pistons simply do not stay in spec.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
2 of my riding buddies did just that, sold off and got new 2019 800's with 4 year warrenties....we usually all sell at from 1000-1500 miles and just go new

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Im literally in the same dilemma as we speak. Currently have a fairly modded 1800 mile 16 axys pro rmk 800 snowcheck 155". Thinking of dumping it for $6000-6500 and picking up an in season 18 pro rmk 155 for $8995. My sled in my opinion is due for a new top end, primary rebuild, qd belt, driveline bearings, etc. Probably $2000 worth of stuff... kind of sentimental feeling with the sled though, ive been everywhere on it the last 4 winters. Another thing holding me back is it looks like winter is over in the midwest and it wont be easy to sell until late fall, so ill have to shell out the money now and wont get anything in return for at least 6 months.

I dont have enough faith in the 850 yet. Not to mention it would cost another $5000 over an 18 leftover, AND all of my aftermarket stuff i can swap onto the 18...

Last edited:

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
sounds like the way to go is with a new sled.

best i've found for an '18 hold over is $9200, any better deals on the west coast?

thanks

Dec 5, 2015
Minnesota
Answer for question on top end from Indy Specialty

*Polaris 800 owners DON'T replace your stock Pistons

I know since 2008 the Polairs 800 Small block has cause a flurry of this question...............

When should I replace my Pistons or top end ?

And if I do who's Pistons should I use ?*

Indy Specialties advice is as follows.

If it runs perfect, and has the same power, and holds the exact same RPM as it did when it was new ( DON'T TOUCH IT ) I don't care how many miles are on it.

If performance is down ( FIRST AND FOREMOST ) Make sure your drive clutch is in good condition, your belt is in good condition, and the driven clutch is adjusted so the sled has the correct belt deflection.

If you get your a$$ handed to you by another sled on the same make & model your first move should NOT be replacing the Pistons.....

If you have not address ( THE FIRST & FOREMOST ) questions you have reason to touch the motor !*

I have been building Polaris motors for over 30 years and I can promise you one thing for sure.....

More 2008 thru 2017 Polaris 800 motors have failed because of premature piston replacement with an aftermarket piston.

Indy Specialty sells more OEM Pistons and top end kits to people that just got done doing a fresh piston replacement and didn't make it 500 miles then any stock OEM original Pistons. ( my motors included until 10/15/2015 ) * poor honing procedures ruin everything.*

My list of questions when we get the call goes as follows.......

1-was the motor running when freshened it up ? Most often ( Yes )

2-were the Pistons that came out stock OEM ? Most often ( Yes )*

3-how did they look ? Most often ( they looked great )*

4-how many miles were on it ? Range 1000 to 12,500 miles ( yes a few customers have had over 12,000 miles the stock OEM Pistons ( all have Been dragons )*

5-my next question is...... After you answered questions 1 thru 4 do you really need to ask me what Pistons I recommend for your Polaris motor....

To finish off the with one last promise....

If you take 90 used Polaris 800 sleds....

That's 9 groups of 10 sleds model year 2008 thru 2017

These 9 groups of 10 sleds all get a fresh rebuilds

All get brand new OEM cylinders.

Group 1 - cast OEM Polaris factory Pistons
Group 2 - cast SPI factory import copy*
Group 3 - cast SPX factory import copy
Group 4 - cast Kimpex factory import copy*
Group 5 - cast OEM Arctic 800 converted for Polaris*
Group 6 - cast prox factory copy
Group 7- domestic forged wiseco*
Group 8- international import forged Woosner*
Group 9- cat domestic forged wiseco converted for Polaris*
Believe it or not there more options I have not listed.

Ok we 90 fresh rebuilt sleds with Brand new OEM cylinders.

They all get parked outside in a row for 5 days at ZERO degrees Fahrenheit*

They all get started at the same time and are allowed to idle until water temp hits 70 degrees and at that moment they are all held wide open for 1 mile.

Group 1 thru 6 will all mostly likely make it ( why I say mostly likely ) I have not personally run.... Cast Kimpex, cast SPX, cast cat OEM, cast cat copy.

Group 7,8,&9 will all lock the motor before the 1/2 miles mark... The Cat copy forged will not make the it past the 1/4 mark.

How do I know this you may ask..... The factory Polaris cast OEM piston 2008 thru 2017 has over .008 thou more taper from bottom to top then any of the other non-Polaris copies......

The SPX,SPI,PROX Polaris copies have close to the same taper..

All the other Pistons forged or cast are close to .008 bigger at the top then*
OEM Polaris Pistons.

( there is a chance the cat OEM & OEM copy won't make the mile mark but they will go far past the forged.

Why ? Simple......it's a mono block with a very narrow center to center 128mm....... ( poor water flow around the exhaust port ) holds a bunch of heat on the front of the piston.

The simple reason turbo applications tuned properly piston life is over double a normally aspirated motors...... The turbo pushes air thru the motor keeps the heat moving.

Polaris Pistons are the most expensive with almost ( NO MARGINE for profit )

That why no one wants to sell them.

Poor plated honing procedures & poor cylinder finish has been the main reason for factory OEM failures of the past. ( the factory OEM finish across the industry has gotten so much better. ) I once thought impossible to match of beat. HG7 if to date the best i personally have seen.

( Of which Indy Specialty was Quilty of from 2005 till Oct 14th 2015 )*

All the theories on cast iron cylinder honing do not apply to plated cylinders. * ( The smoother the better. ) ZERO cross hatch needed ) *

I believe if you are selling engine rebuild services to any customers with plated cylinders with cylinder mounted EFI systems you better have invested a minimum of $50,000 yo $150,000 in updated equipment so you can give customer a cylinder finish to at least as good as the factory finish with the goal to be better then the factory.

The EFI plated cylinder Polaris has brought on a steep learning curve for a lot of us.

This is the reason we offered all previous customers pre-October 15th 2015
Free updated HG7 cylinder finish with a No charge 1 year extension added on to your warranty.*

Thanks to all Indy Specialty customers for your business !

Dan

____Indy Specialty____

Premium Features