• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dually vrs swa cross country trip pulling trailer

U
Jan 19, 2019
I need to pull a 35ft. Enclosed trailer (about 8000lbs total weight) from Michigan to Edmonton to Oregon back to Michigan starting next week. Hitch mount trailer not 5th wheel , We get all our trucks from enterprise commercial,and will be 4x4, 3500, diesel, and I have my options of a dually or a single wheel axle, very experienced driver pulling trailer but have never been given the option before and normally much shorter trips, trucks are usually very new (less than 25,000 miles) but usually dont have the most aggressive treaded tires , just thought I'd ask your opinion. THANKS

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Dually Pros - More stability. Long box (don't know SRW box length). Extra rears might give you more flat flexibility - run one soft, without changing on the road. Thicker stab bars. Assuming the box is empty.

Dually Cons - Lower MPG. With a bumper pull that light, stability won't be a big deal. Goose would be a different story. Less lbs per sq inch on the rear can be more of an ice issue, tire condition matters, too. Rear inner flat and you're pulling both tires, unless you're calling it in to a service. Turn radius likely bigger.

I run a 17 3500, CCLBSRW, bumper pull sled hauler. I'd take the SRW if me, and I wasn't hauling anything big in the box, too.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Summer take the dual, slick winter roads the srw will put more psi to the road for better traction, especially with marginal tires you mentioned.
I pull a 34’ bumper with 8 sleds, gas for 8 sleds for 3 days, plus all the required food, gear, and all 8 of our family. Tow rig is srw duraburb, does great.
Balancing your load/hitch hieght will be most important to safety at freeway speed.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Put 500 to 800 lbs of sand tubes in box for weight it will really help sway from side wind.

Premium Features