• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help For The Plastic Chaincase Covers

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Polaris introduced the plastic chaincase covers a while back on their sleds that have been giving some people a lot of headaches.

Polaris will not update the cover to the new magnesium or add insulation under warranty, from my experiences.

Some things you are left to improve on your own if you want to have trouble free miles on your sled...

That being said, there are many out there with plenty of leak free stock chaincase miles out there.

With some attention to this area and some precautions, you can minimize the possibility of leaking, easily, for little $.

There are 3 causes of most of the leaking of chaincases not including putting a hole in the case if you break a gear or chain or run the chain too loose.

First: Most of the leaking comes from being lifted by a forklift... Unless the person operating the lift really knows what they are doing, the cases will spring a leak... if they lift it in the wrong place and leakey-leakey:eek:

The second big cause is the exhausts proximity to the chaincase cover... depending on the exhaust and how close it is to the cover, it will cause problems.

The Second cause is the fact that there is a large distance between the bottom chaincase cover screws and the case can bow out and leak... This bowing was fixed with the addition of the lower chaincase support bracket that was installed standard on the 2008 (warranty on the 2005 and 2006 otherwise $23 out of warranty). ]There are many ridges and dimples on this piece to apply pressure in the right places... don’t just cut one out of plate or sheet metal and expect it to work correctly.

The 2005 bracket is part 1016191-329 and you will need 2 longer bolts 7512242

The part # for the 2006- 2008 bracket is 5251316-329 and longer bolts are not needed

If your cover is already leaking, buy another cover and gasket UNLESS it is under warranty then have your dealer replace it and add the bracket if needed.

A forklift can raise havoc with an aluminum chaincase cover as well.
Get a sheet of DEI thermal insulation (24 x 21") from Summit Racing $34 and you will have enough for two chaincases (hook up your buddy). OR get the 48 x 21" piece for $62 and have enough to do all of your under hood insulation and ditch the water holding foam (especially in the nose of the sled near the pipe).

To get to the chaincase, you will need to remove the muffler side panel and the muffler... If you don’t already have one, buy a good spring removal tool from your dealer or any of the parts houses like www.denniskirk.com or http://www.hiperf.com/ATV/acatalog/Shop_Equipment___Tools.html. The spring tool will come in handy for a lot of different operations on your sled. There are also many people out there that have made their own.

WEAR SAFTEY GLASSES/GOGGLES when working with exhaust springs... they can fly of and hit you in the eye, causing serious injury or loss of your eye!!:devil:

The third cause is the exhausts proximity to the chaincase cover and the heat it throws off... depending on the exhaust and how close it is to the cover, it will cause problems. Venting this area can help keep the temps down greatly as well.

To fix the heat problem, start with an un-warped, non leaking cover installed on the sled...

get a sheet of DEI thermal insulation (24 x 21") from Summit Racing $34 and you will have enough for two chaincases (hook up your buddy). OR get the 48 x 21" piece for $62 and have enough to do all of your under hood insulation and ditch the water holding foam (especially in the nose of the sled near the pipe).

Make a paper template of the chaincase cover about 1/2" larger than the outline of the cover, cut it out and trace it onto the insulation, paying attention to the layout so that once cut, the foil will be on the outside of the case once installed. On the 2006 -2009 covers cut the insulation out with heavy duty scissors. Clean the cover very well with degreaser or Denatured alcohol and allow it to dry. Peel the backing from the insulation and carefully install it onto the chaincase cover... Re-install

Link to the 24" x 21" Insulation
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DEI%2D050501

Link to the 48" x 21" insulation
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DEI%2D050502

DEI insulation material
dei-050501_2_3_w.jpg

Insulated cover on a 2005 RMK
insulated.jpg

Pic of lower bracket #24
chaincase-1.jpg

Last edited:
E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Great post, could I wrap this stuff around my head if I fear my brain is getting fried/warped? lol. Good info, thanks. EW

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Great post, could I wrap this stuff around my head if I fear my brain is getting fried/warped? lol. Good info, thanks. EW

yes you can and as a an added feature the govt wont be able to read your mind from outer space but, they still can from earth unless you know where the receptors are lol

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Great Post MH...

I have been trying to figure out what to do, short of having someone make me a billet cover.

I like all your other suggestions too. I finally had a chance to dig into my sled yesterday. I cant believe how much foam/carpet is under the hood of the new sleds. I am yanking it all and weighting it, to see how much free weight I yanked out. Shooot the exhaust side side panel seems like it weights a 100lbs.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
On the exhaust side panel... you could use this heat insulation on it, if you dont use the vent kits... I have the vent kit but use the stock heat shield with a lot of lightening holes in it...

I'd like to hear what the dry weight and the weight after water soaking is??? (letting it drain but not dry)

The foam is not just it's dry weight, but the 10 lbs of moisture it holds during a ride.... You can get rid of it and run the DEI insulation in the hot spots... a lot of the foam is there for EPA sound regulations.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Yah, this sled probally hadnt been rode in a week, and the foam was still wet. I dont even know if you can call it foam, its more like carpet.

Is the big aluminum plate in the nose of the sled necessary either? It has a thin section of foam on it. I havent dug into it yet, wondering if it is part of the support system for the front bumper and such......

Wiring too.. there has to be a 100lbs of wire in the sled.

B

Bull

Jan 20, 2004
colorado
don't forget to clean the gasket on the lower half, and apply a bead of 100% silicone when reassembling. failure to do so, often results in leaks. good post MH.

H
Nov 26, 2007
gillette, WY
i cleaned mine up with electrical cleaner (doesnt harm plastic) and used rtv silicone on both sides of the gskt and stuck it on and waited a day before filling it and its never leaked since.

great post mountainhorse

Chain Case fix

Last spring Mt Horse gave me the thread for the fix. It is completed and so far no leaks. Polaris has the bracket for the bottom of the cover for $25. The sheet of insulation from Summit was about $40 but will do two cases. Mine's an 05 900 with a 975 kit and a stinger. Had to put on side panel vents also and just drilled 2" holes in the plastic. All good.:cool:

R
Jan 3, 2008
frt alm plate

outlaw adict if you take the plate out nothing supports the bumper , had mine out couldn't lift the sled put it back in

Premium Features