• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A little premix for cold weather?

W
Nov 27, 2007
I was thinking about running 80 to 100:1 premix (along with injection)when the temps are -0. Here's my logic.(or lack thereof)The colder the oil, the slower the feed rate. At start up before the oil tank gets warmed up under the hood, are you at risk of under lubrication?

J

j.c.higgins

Nov 26, 2007
St. Albert, Alberta
Don't do it. Let your sled warm up properly first and there is no need to add any extra oil! Besides too much oil can possibly lean a sled out and way too much smoke. Keith.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Check your oil for its Pour Point, it should be listed on the bottle

D
Nov 26, 2007
I used to believe that, but as per Indydan and this thread:

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52811

He gives some eye opening info on engines and cranks with regard to oil. He said this about premix:

But as far as a sled motor goes the old stuff is BETTER.

Trust me them old Oil-injector pumps can just about pump tar, The oil doesn't need low pour points.

And 100:1 in every tank full is absolute utter magic, I have done it for 20 years and so have all my close friends.

1 pint per full tank full is about 100:1 close enough you don't need to measure just a close guess.

I think I'll try it.

-DallanC

G

geno

Nov 26, 2007
when that oil feed line falls off, or breaks, or that bubble goes through the line, the 100:1 is going to save your engine.

Go one step further, and make a note of your oil consumption, because when it quits using oil (or uses too much), that's your first clue, that you have a problem. Instead of it puking a crank, without the 100:1

W
Jan 2, 2008
when that oil feed line falls off, or breaks, or that bubble goes through the line, the 100:1 is going to save your engine.

Go one step further, and make a note of your oil consumption, because when it quits using oil (or uses too much), that's your first clue, that you have a problem. Instead of it puking a crank, without the 100:1

read my sig, this is with 50:1 injector + 100:1 premix....puts you at 33:1 total....I'm sure your injector isn't 50:1 either.

I can do the math if you like if your injector was set at, say 34:1?

can you say SPOOGE?

If your worried about your injection that much, delete them and premix
I am close to this myself.

Last edited:
W
Nov 27, 2007
Ah Ha! I was right. I have a 2003 1m900. (no owners manual) I'm gona try 100:1 for the cold days. Thanks for the replies. I missed the Indydan thread. (Good info.)

Last edited:
W
Jan 2, 2008
since when did the owners manual tell you whats best for your sled?

ragged edge of too lean + very cold air + tons of oil = engine burn down

hope your sled isn't a bit too lean

Premium Features