• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cold weather starting.

S
Mar 28, 2014
hey guys just wondering if anyone has ever installed a engine heating pad or installed a forced circulation heater to help start their thumpers when it is really cold out...I know if you have a e-start on your bike its probably not as bad as just having a kick start...I was just thinking if this could be done a guy could just power them with a generator while it was in the trailer or truck...any help would be appreciated...

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
I read on another thread last winter, someone had the idea of throwing a heavy blanket over the bike, putting a flexible tube on your diesel pu exhaust outlet, and routing it under the blanket. I've seen a KTM fire up well with just a jump start, and two yamaha's and a Suzuki took about 150 kicks!!

S
Jan 12, 2013
I made a jump start kit to go from my bike to my wife's snowmobile. The snowmobile always starts and with a jump I can usually get it going within a few minutes. I don't know what I would do if I had to kick it, I guess the exhaust/blanket idea.

N
Jun 9, 2008
Post Falls, Idaho
I had a problem last season on my WR450 when it was down in the single digits. I made the mistake of using the electric start first, and have since figured out that the electric start doesn't have the torque to spin the engine fast enough when it's cold and just floods it out. I bought an electric battery blanket to keep the engine warm while driving, but then I figured out that if I kick start it first I can use the e start the rest of the day no problem. It always starts after 2 or 3 kicks, even down in the single digits. Anyone want to buy a battery blanket, still new in the box?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
hey guys just wondering if anyone has ever installed a engine heating pad or installed a forced circulation heater to help start their thumpers when it is really cold out...I know if you have a e-start on your bike its probably not as bad as just having a kick start...I was just thinking if this could be done a guy could just power them with a generator while it was in the trailer or truck...any help would be appreciated...

My bike will stay outside so I am thinking I am going to use this.....

http://www.amazon.com/Kats-1160-300...im_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SG1K1GVKV7CM25305G9

Or an infrared lamp?

Last edited:

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
I don't think the magnetic heater will work good at all they do make a glue on type heater for engine blocks. Got one at hedahls few years ago for a ranger we put a snowblower on. Think I might go this route for really cold days

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Any one find a heater for the coolent, arctic cat had one a few years back but had big hose fittings?

Last edited:
T

torkd

Oct 9, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Now in order to do this you have to drag the bike off the trailer and pull it to the tail pipe... or do you run a tube?

Drag the bike out and run a pipe. Here's how I had it set up. This really sucked, ended up with frost bite on my big right toe trying to get the bike going. After it was running the ride was not worth the headache.... but it worked.

We also got a dudes ski-doo that was in the parking lot running with the tube ran under his hood lol.

coldsled.jpg

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Drag the bike out and run a pipe. Here's how I had it set up. This really sucked, ended up with frost bite on my big right toe trying to get the bike going. After it was running the ride was not worth the headache.... but it worked.

We also got a dudes ski-doo that was in the parking lot running with the tube ran under his hood lol.
That is great and thanks for the pic!

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
I can't believe there still isn't a cover made to help assist in the wind chill factor , especially transporting in the back of a pickup or worse yet on a sled bed .

Imagine one with a custom fit , I asked skins if they thought about making one for me for my Hawk , of course you can guess the reply .

php2TlTxi.jpg

Last edited:
I can't believe there still isn't a cover made to help assist in the wind chill factor , especially transporting in the back of a pickup or worse yet on a sled bed .

Imagine one with a custom fit , I asked skins if they thought about making one for me for my Hawk , of course you can guess the reply .

Timbersled offers a cover specifically for snowbikes.

http://www.timbersled.com/sbaccessories.htm?P=97

D

DieselTwitch

Dec 23, 2007
Gunnison, Colorado
Ive found that all you need is to keep your battery warm. No battery, SOL... no not really but i don't have to deal with it! lol

I wired my bike to my truck. so as I'm driving down the road the truck is charging the batteries, the charging keeps the batteries warm. Last year all it took on my 500 was a kick and push of the starter at the same time. this year I have a 570 with no kick... having to rely on the charge option. this yeah I'm thinking I may also be todo the blanket option with a heater blanket under that and hook it to an inverter in my truck.

Premium Features