• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to Skidoo

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
I just picked up a 1998 Summit 670 the other day for a price I couldn't pass up. First off, the sled is seized, and I plan on rebuilding it this summer with a new top end. The sled has Crank Shop twins in it and other then that it's stock. I noticed a purple aluminum housing that is bolted onto the motor just after the carbs, what is this? Just from looking at it is some sort of throttle body spacer, or just nothing? From what I've read these sleds are a pain to jet and keep running right with pipes, is this true? If so should I just go back to stock and find a can? To my understanding the sled was towed back to my neighbors, they got it to start this summer, one of the pistons was making a noise so they shut it off, and now I can't get it to turn over for the life of me, I even put some oil in both cylinders and let it sit over the weekend. I plan on giving it to my girlfriend as her Christmas present next year so I'm not looking to make a bunch of power with it, just something she can have fun on. Thanks for reading!
Also, I have all Polaris' so this sled is new to me, anything I should watch out for?

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
I just picked up a 1998 Summit 670 the other day for a price I couldn't pass up. First off, the sled is seized, and I plan on rebuilding it this summer with a new top end. The sled has Crank Shop twins in it and other then that it's stock. I noticed a purple aluminum housing that is bolted onto the motor just after the carbs, what is this? Just from looking at it is some sort of throttle body spacer, or just nothing? From what I've read these sleds are a pain to jet and keep running right with pipes, is this true? If so should I just go back to stock and find a can? To my understanding the sled was towed back to my neighbors, they got it to start this summer, one of the pistons was making a noise so they shut it off, and now I can't get it to turn over for the life of me, I even put some oil in both cylinders and let it sit over the weekend. I plan on giving it to my girlfriend as her Christmas present next year so I'm not looking to make a bunch of power with it, just something she can have fun on. Thanks for reading!
Also, I have all Polaris' so this sled is new to me, anything I should watch out for?
That is the rotory intake, there is a plate in there that has to be set for air fuel intake, so make sure you know how to mark it so it goes back together right , pipe will be loud on there , Id think shell like it stock and quiet, but tuning them is not bad, only problem with wat sled is if its tipped over and floods out ,it will take a while to start

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
Does anybody know of any slick tricks on how to unseize this thing without taking the head off?

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
Does anybody know of any slick tricks on how to unseize this thing without taking the head off?

unless you got this thing for free it would be tough to justify fixing it... the only way to make is right would be new pistons and rings... but there is probably other issues (like why did it seize in the first place)...

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
I planned on doing a top end when I bought it anyways. And I can't really say why it was seized, but like I said it did run this summer, just didn't sound right, and when I got it, it was seized. My guess is they were running a bad gas oil ratio, because this sled doesn't have the oiler any more and requires to be mixed.

Premium Features