• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how many cat 800 (2010 to 2012 only please) motors have blown?

2010-2012 cat 800(only 800) engine failure rates

• Total voters

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
There is no doubt the cat motor is more reliable. My t-09 m8 never let me down. I don't think the 16% is acceptable for polaris. I am selling my turboed pro just because of that fact. I don't want to throw $5000 out, if the motor goes, on a used sled. I still don't understand that because I was getting short blocks for doos for $1700. Maybe $2400 installed. It has been an awesome sled for the 1300 miles I've rode it and has never blown a belt. Trading it for a 13 and warranty.Keep the 12 for one more year. Yeah, if it had a cat motor in it I would keep it another year or two. I will say one thing, the 13 pro is going to be the first sled, ever, that you don't have to do anything to to have fun. Sure they can all be clutched better and need better shocks but they are lighter, get up on the snow better, one of the easiest sleds to work on, and just flat out fun in the trees. I guess I am willing to live with the motor trouble but I will have warranty.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
I've had one 2012 m800 blow up due to seized waterpump shaft. It wasn't mine but I was the one who pulled the motor. I have some pictures on my phone somewhere, I'll try and put them up. I've only heard of one other doing this. Sled had around 80 miles on it.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Wyo, you really gonna ride a pro? cool..like to see lots of build pics on a cat motor going in..

J
Jan 15, 2010
Haven't you noticed the trend of how I do things??? SHe gets the "upgrade" first, then once she likes it, and I know I like it, it's harder for her to say I can't have one.:face-icon-small-win

Next year she gets a "NEW" sled, the pro. I get the "old" sled (400 pregnant miles) and a turbo... then in 2 years, HOPEFULLY poo will have motors figured out, and cat will be making them in the states, so good time to leave cat!

I got's a plan yo....

All you need now is a babysitter, otherwise no point in having 2 sleds between the two of you...

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
-- and doo will spank a frankenpro.

so you are admitting the pro will beat it right now,

It's the weight factor I am after more than anything. With the weight of the Pro vs my PC on the money side to even out the playing field, weight vs power and reliability the '13 pro is a better option.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--Poll to date--

Cat

65% over 1000 miles no problems

5% failure

Pro

47% under 1000 miles and crossing their fingers

12% failure

Last edited:
A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Your gonna see these polaris numbers rise as people put more miles on there pros, its not if its when everyone of my buddy's that rides hard have had a motor go down some at 300 some at 1200, but if you got one that lasted more then 1500 your in a low percentile, know how to vary the throttle turned up your oiler and added oil to every tank to squeak by with that many miles.

I think anyone who truely knows there two strokes can realize how there motors running and get 2k out of her if everything's in spec from the factory. But 90% of people don't even check there oiler. Gas oil n rip! Fix it when it breaks. "its got a warranty"

That mentality is why polaris is having so many failures, how much weight does the 4 spark plug system add? Think this more even and clean of a burn is a lot of the reason cat can crank there oilers up from the factory? I sure love the fact i haven't fouled a plug since 08!

-Aksnopro

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
Reason for failure is poor design and factory adjusted oil pump, not owner usage

If Polaris actually changes piston design for 13, probably be a season backorder on those improved pistons for the 11 and 12 sleds just waiting to blow next season

Last edited:

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
just some food for thought, what is more expensive having an engine fail under warranty, or going through 5 belts in a season? Just sayin' each sled has their problems. If a 2-stroke manufacturer actually made a decent sled that would last 3k+ miles they would probably run the rest outta business

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
you mean like how they were going to fix it in 11, and how they DEFINITELY fixed the problems with this motor for 2012???

HOPING that poo really will fix it is like trying to get cat to understand that weight matters.
or that belts/clutching gets expensive?

B
Feb 12, 2010
just some food for thought, what is more expensive having an engine fail under warranty, or going through 5 belts in a season? Just sayin' each sled has their problems. If a 2-stroke manufacturer actually made a decent sled that would last 3k+ miles they would probably run the rest outta business

I can guarantee whoever goes through that many belts a year is either putting on serious miles or pumping serious horsepower. The only other way is if the OWNER doesn't know how to properly adjust belt tension and deflection. I've been using the same 046 belt on my last two sleds. Thousands of miles on it.

Pretty simple... belt tension, deflection, track tension, track alignment.... do it again. Then 25 mile belt break in (nothing above 1/2 throttle)... Then belt tension, deflection, track tension, track alignment. Done.

Premium Features