• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Saw the 2012 Cats today?? behind the R&D facility in IP??

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
I keep hearing about 4 stroke style bottom end and 2 stroke top end. 1000 with 190 hp?????? I like the racer look, all sounds interesting.

K

khogan

Dec 18, 2007
Bozeman, MT
hmmm. all the buzz is it is going to be in the sno-pro races chassis if you want to see a picture go look at the race sled photos. then imagine a long track on it....

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
the thing is... it won't be that exact chassis. might look similar but it won't be the same. I expect it to use the same spindles and a-arms but a totally different bulkhead. something that will accommodate a more consumer friendly set of side panels and hood. Anyone thats been around a sno-pro knows that the body panels fit like crap and are a pain to take on and off.

Also the current sno-pro bulk head gives for a less than stellar attack angle for the track. works good in sno cross but isn't the best for getting up on powder and is even worse for high speed. so the idea of a cfr type sled in the sno-pro chassis just ain't gonna happen. It doesn't matter how much power you put on a sno-pro... it will never see more than 100.

another thing that bothers me is the sno-pro has its air box and intake right in the nose of the sled. i really doubt that cat would allow something like that for a deep powder consumer sled. all in all by the time the engineers have to sit and work on all these little things to make it consumer worthy I'm sure they came to the conclusion that it was better to just start with a clean sheet and go with that. :pop2:

Last edited:

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
the thing is... it won't be that exact chassis. might look similar but it won't be the same. I expect it to use the same spindles and a-arms but a totally different bulkhead. something that will accommodate a more consumer friendly set of side panels and hood. Anyone thats been around a sno-pro knows that the body panels fit like crap and are a pain to take on and off.

Also the current sno-pro bulk head gives for a less than stellar attack angle for the track. works good in sno cross but isn't the best for getting up on powder and is even worse for high speed. so the idea of a cfr type sled in the sno-pro chassis just ain't gonna happen. It doesn't matter how much power you put on a sno-pro... it will never see more than 100.

another thing that bothers me is the sno-pro has its air box and intake right in the nose of the sled. i really doubt that cat would allow something like that for a deep powder consumer sled. all in all by the time the engineers have to sit and work on all these little things to make it consumer worthy I'm sure they came to the conclusion that it was better to just start with a clean sheet and go with that. :pop2:

Ahhh.................................All of the M sleds have the air box in the nose

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Haha, I am just browsing, this thread, but I am guessing you must have been riding m series sleds? Seems as though the snow was hero snow, why didn't you try to follow them, maybe stalk them. That is what I would have done, actually sounds kinda fun a game of hide and go seek.

K

khogan

Dec 18, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Let me get this straight. You are worried that the chassis won't go over 100.....when do you need a mountain sled to do that? On the lake racing other flatties? Air box location is airbox location they are in the nose now, how they pull air can be modified with how it is vented. Turbo it and you can get rid of all that **** anyway. Then you might be able to reach your 100 mark too.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
obviously you've never seen a sno-pro. the air is actually drawn through the nose kinda like the bdx kit is. thats what i was referencing.

And many thousands of us use sno pro, bdx, timbersled, D&D or other aftermarket intakes to do the exact same thing in the M sled... so what's the difference? The air comes from the exact same place in the M as the 08+ sno pro, it's just redirected in stock form, up the hood.

The M is essentially the same as the older racer, and it did the exact same thing as well... fitting some kind of air box isn't exactly impossible.

I can't believe I actually posted in the rahterdid thread...

T

treedocker

Sep 1, 2010
i heard the tapio brothers have a new 2012 proto cat and they weighed it with a 2011 cat and it was only 4 pounds lighter and just some cosmetic things have changed in the front, and that they will race it at jackson. heard this from another hillclimber on the arctic cat race team.

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
I was told today that the 2012s are a new chassis but has some M characteristics five to eight lbs lighter with the ZR1 engine so hopefully we will know the truth 3-8-11

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
And many thousands of us use sno pro, bdx, timbersled, D&D or other aftermarket intakes to do the exact same thing in the M sled... so what's the difference? The air comes from the exact same place in the M as the 08+ sno pro, it's just redirected in stock form, up the hood.

The M is essentially the same as the older racer, and it did the exact same thing as well... fitting some kind of air box isn't exactly impossible.

I can't believe I actually posted in the rahterdid thread...

I get what you're saying here, but do you think that cat would want a consumer available powder sled that pulled air like that? Just sayin.

And something that I have heard is that they will use the new chassis much like the current m/xf is used. Meaning the hot lake racer cfr will use the M chassis as its platform. So the 100mph barrier in the sno-pro chassis will be an issue if that is the case.

Just really trying to look at the totality of what they will be trying to accomplish with the new chassis.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
i heard the tapio brothers have a new 2012 proto cat and they weighed it with a 2011 cat and it was only 4 pounds lighter and just some cosmetic things have changed in the front, and that they will race it at jackson. heard this from another hillclimber on the arctic cat race team.

I was told today that the 2012s are a new chassis but has some M characteristics five to eight lbs lighter with the ZR1 engine so hopefully we will know the truth 3-8-11

I heard today from a guy that the 2012s are gonna have ski's and a motor and some will be green and some will be black and they will be in this chassis and that chassis and they will be awesome and they will suck.

That's just what I heard for sure. Everything else is rumors.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN

What do you think the Turbo Z1 engine weighs? 140 with turbo? So if the 800 weighs 110 with the pipe, can, oil, etc. And they dropped 30 lbs off the chassis and and made it capable to fit either motor that would be sweet. Back in the day triples and twins all fit in a modular chassis. It was simple. I think thats what they need to do is just keep it simple and light.

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
Hey don't let what I wrote get your little egos bruised I merely mentioned what a service manager at a Cat dealer told me besides if I or he end up being a liar then so be it. You boys need to mellow out its just a forum for people to relay info some is truth some my not be so what no one knows the person behind the messages so you can't tell friend or foe!

Premium Features